Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

8/02/2021 4:02 pm  #1

Newb advice

Ok, let me see if I can post pics. Be patient.

http://imgur.com/gallery/6lVE00N
I may have to edit this from a pc- sorry about the pic link.

It's obviously not done. But if you see something I should change, let me know.

Last edited by NBF823 (8/02/2021 4:09 pm)

8/04/2021 9:02 am  #2

Re: Newb advice

Thit is well built.  how much does it weigh?

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

8/05/2021 10:49 am  #3

Daze wrote:

Thit is well built.  how much does it weigh?

Probably alot more than the original. I have alot more brackets, fitting, and seam welding to go. I'll weigh the whole car at the end.

I could probably also shave some weight here and there on the lower controls. I made them telescope, and just tacked them, as measuring the original leaf and pirch didn't seem very accurate. Once I know it's straight for sure, then I can go to town on refining it.

I wanted to keep the original frame rails, which caused an unbelievable headache. I also wanted more than two inches of compression. The original rails are about 3" in front of the axle. So the uppers are behind the axles. The lowers are forward - mad caster. But putting the upper above the axle would have left me with very little travel. I'm in PA and the roads are terrible here.

The car is a 78 trans am. The diff and axles, which I'm hoping to test fit next week, are 04 svt mustang with G force axles.

It's really complex to describe it all. I also wanted to fit the original 15x8 snowflake wheels. Which I think I'm getting away with. Also factory rear rotors.

The shocks and springs I'm hoping to mount in the trunk horizontal - pushrods. I also grabbed an electronic rear steering rack from a 300zx, I may implement.

3/06/2022 7:56 am  #4

I just dropped in to see what condition, my condition was in...
Hey that is a lot of work.  Looks strong as too.  As you have time update the pics.  I'm getting back to my front suspension.  But still have to finish the rear - slicks are too wide so will build a pushrod coil over.  Will post as I make progress.

DAZE - thanks for keeping the site open!  It is the best single source on the interweb for IRS.

Cheers - Jim

UNDERCONSTRUCTION! Highly Modified C3 Corvette
         Dual Wishbone IRS w Subframe + Custom Uprights

4/04/2022 7:05 am  #5

Hi all,

Looks like alot of work is stuck in there! Hope you post pics while going.

agree with phatomjock;
DAZE - thanks for keeping the site open!  It is the best single source on the interweb for IRS.

Mustsed

Last edited by Mustsed (4/04/2022 7:06 am)

Nothing is impossible, some just cost more!

4/13/2022 6:41 am  #6

Mustsed wrote:

Hi all,

Looks like alot of work is stuck in there! Hope you post pics while going.

agree with phatomjock;

Mustsed

Thanks. Sorry I don't post more, I have alot of projects.

Right now I'm making the spacers that center the spherical bearings in all the mounts and pirches.

I need to fit it together and make sure my toe assembly fits. Not sure if I mentioned the nissan Z32 electric rear rack.

I'll try to post some pics, but progress has been slow. It's not that I'm tired of the project, it's just a huge task for me and it's hard to find the time. I don't think I'll ever go back to a solid axle for the car, but I worry alot about the dimensional accuracy - it's a difficult thing to measure when you want to see near machining numbers.

I should invest in a high quality tram. But playing with projects like this one would leave just about anyone broke.

Board footera