Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

12/21/2011 1:45 pm  #1

Bits and Pieces - COMPONETS for your Build

I'm sure each of you have a favorite source for bits and pieces for your build - I have been trying to compile a set of pretty good sources for the types of prefab pieces that are available.  I have no association with any of these manufacturers/distributors - and may not have even ordered anything from them - yet.  I offer these only as a starting point when you say; "MAN, I need a thingie-ma-jig, and lt looks like a chassis tab -- but, Oh who makes those?"

The first category is Raw Materials:
For example where can you DOM for strut construction and what sizes are available?

I'm sure there are more options available and look forward to more sources for you to add to this thread.

Cheers - Jim

UNDERCONSTRUCTION! Highly Modified C3 Corvette
         Dual Wishbone IRS w Subframe + Custom Uprights

12/21/2011 1:56 pm  #2

Re: Bits and Pieces - COMPONETS for your Build

Continuing the thread - How about Brackets for the build?
Here are a bunch of those lifted from the AllStar brand but there are more than a couple of sources:
[002 series]

Brackets are useful but maybe you want to add bearings to the mount - here are some you could consider too:

Next, we'll look at some of the bits and pieces for the arms themselves.

CHeers - Jim

12/21/2011 2:13 pm  #3

With tubing and brackets its time to build rods.
We need rod ends, clevis ends, and need to know how long a rod to build.  Here is a great guide that helps size the length of the rod:

That chart is worth its weight in gold - and untold savings in buying or buildung the wrong size !

For ends here are a few choices -- First CLEVIS ENDS :

For your ROD ENDS (FK are better than anything you find on eBay - unless they're FKs TOO!)

Here is a bit expensive alternative to consider:

If you are building your own tubes - you'll definately need these:

You might need something like this - and if you did - would you guess its called a "Double Adjuster?

There now we need some bolts to fasten the moving bits together,, that's next -

Cheers, Jim

12/21/2011 2:23 pm  #4

Great list Jim, here's another. For raw material, these folks sell by the inch. No job to small!
Metal Supermarket

http://www.metalsupermarkets.com/

Last edited by Ralphy (12/21/2011 2:25 pm)

12/21/2011 2:33 pm  #5

Nuts and BOLTS:
I personally have been searching for bolts that are higher tollerance than the ones I previously found.  I was going to use shoulder bolts - but find there is too much "slop"between the rod end and the bolt.  I'm nearly tempted to have some turned on a lathe to get it right - but here are some pieces available:

SOURCE - Mc Master-Carr

Stainless Steel Shoulder Screws (BOLTS)  1/2" with  2" shoulder $10.20@  (2 1/2" overall)
                                                                           5/8" with 2" shoulder  &16.43@ (2 1/2" overall)

Also called stripper and shoulder bolts, these screws have a shoulder that serves as a bearing or spacer. They're used for locating parts, and as retaining components, guide screws, axle bolts, fulcrums, and pivots. Screws have a minimum Rockwell hardness of B55, a minimum tensile strength of 70,000 psi, and are not rated for shear strength. They have a hex socket drive and a Class 3A thread fit. Those with a shoulder diameter of 1/4" and larger meet ANSI/ASME B18.3. Shoulder dia. tolerance is –0.002" to –0.004"; shoulder length tolerance is ±0.005".

THESE BOLTS WERE TOO SLOOPY FOR MY TOLLERANCE EXPECTATIONS (DIAMETER)

Next I tried some TUBULAR BOLTS.  They are designed for use in suspensions - and made from chrome moly tubing  - but still not tight enough on the  tollerance and fit:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

SOURCE - Mc Master-Carr
Hardened Oversize Tight-Tolerance Rods—Precision Ground Finish  1/2"  $12.21/6" (pn 3023A245);   5/8" $20.33/6" (pn 3023A254)

Hardness: Rockwell C62-C64
    Yield Strength: Not rated
    Triple tempered

Also known as reamer blanks. Diameter tolerance is +0.0002". Straightness tolerance is 0.001". Length tolerance is ±1/32".

NOTE: THESE ARE A  FACTOR OF 10 TIMES TIGHTER --AND ONLY SLIGHTLY LARGER DIAMETER - COULD BE GENTLY FILED OR FORCED INTO POSITION -- BUT WILL NEED A MEANS TO CAPTURE THEM IN PLACE

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
SOURCE - Mc Master-Carr
Hardened Undersize Tight-Tolerance Rods—Inch Sizes—Precision Ground Finish
1/2"    0.5000"   $12.97/6" (pn 3009A145) ; 5/8"  0.06250" $21.63/6" (pn 3009A154)

Hardness: Rockwell C62-C64
    Triple tempered

Also known as drill rods. Diameter tolerance is -0.0002". Straightness tolerance is 0.001". Length tolerance is ±1/32".

NOTE: THESE ARE A  FACTOR OF 10 TIMES TIGHTER --AND ONLY SLIGHTLY SMALLER DIAMETER - COULD BE CLOSE ENOUGH -- BUT WILL NEED A MEANS TO CAPTURE THEM IN PLACE
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
SOURCE - Mc Master-Carr
Wear-Resistant Air-Hardened D2 Tool Steel   1/2"    $30.05/Ft;     5/8"  $41.22/Ft

If you're looking for a versatile high-carbon/high-chromium tool steel that has great wear and abrasion resistance, D2 is the choice for you. It also offers high hardness and is commonly used for long-run dies and blanking, as well as shear blades, burnishing tools, and gauges.

Warning! Hardness and yield strength are not guaranteed and are intended only as a basis for comparison.
Tight-Tolerance Rods—Precision Ground Finish

Hardness: Rockwell B89-B102
    Yield Strength: 50,000 psi
    Annealed
Meet ASTM A681. Also known as drill rod. Can be heat treated to a maximum attainable hardness of Rockwell C62-C65. Diameter tolerance is ±0.0005" for 1/8" to 7/16" diameters and ±0.001" for 1/2" to 2" diameters. Straightness tolerance is 0.005" per foot. Length tolerance is ±3/16" for 1-ft. lengths, +1/8" for 3-ft. lengths, and ±1 1/2" for 6-ft. lengths.

BETTER FIT THAN THE SHOULDER BOLTS -- BUT  NOT THE ANSWER!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
SOURCE - Mc Master-Carr
Ultra-Hard M42 High-Speed Tool Steel  1/2"  $29.49/6" 

This material is often called cobalt steel. It also contains molybdenum, making it suitable for working the hardest metals.

Warning! Hardness and yield strength are not guaranteed and are intended only as a basis for comparison.
Hardened Undersize Tight-Tolerance Rods—Precision Ground Finish

Hardness: Rockwell C66-C68
    Triple tempered

Also known as drill rod. Diameter tolerance is -0.0002". Straightness tolerance is not rated. Length tolerance is +0.060".

NOTE: TOLLERANCE ON DIAMETER IS GOOD BUT PRICE IS SLIGHTLY HIGHER.  STILL NEED A MEANS TO CAPUTRE
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
SOURCE - Mc Master-Carr
Very Hard M2/M7 High-Speed Tool Steel  1/2"    $93.58/3Ft;  5/8"    $132.21/3Ft

A high molybdenum content increases this material's hardness, which means it will resist softening and maintain sharp cutting edges even at elevated temperatures. It is a great choice for high-speed cutting operations such as drilling, reaming, tapping, milling, and piercing.

Tight-Tolerance Rods—Precision Ground Finish 

Hardness: Rockwell B99-B101
    Yield Strength: 105,000 psi
    Annealed

Meet ASTM A600. Also known as drill rod. Can be heat treated to a maximum attainable hardness of Rockwell C65. Diameter tolerance is ±0.0005" for 1/16" to 7/16" diameters and ±0.001" for 1/2" to 1 1/4" diameters. Straightness tolerance is 0.005" per foot. Length tolerance is +1/8". Sold in 3-ft. lengths.

BETTER FIT THAN THE SHOULDER BOLTS -- BUT LOOK AT THAT PRICE!  SORRY THATS NOT THE ANSWER!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
SOURCE - Mc Master-Carr
Bearing-Quality Aircraft-Grade E52100 Alloy Steel

E52100 is considered bearing quality because of its high carbon content, which gives it high hardness. It is often called chrome steel as chromium is the primary alloying element, which makes it very wear resistant.

Rods—Unpolished Mill Finish (Cold Finished)

Hardness: 248 Brinell
    Yield Strength: 62,000-87,500 psi
    Annealed

Meet ASTM A108 and ASTM A295. Can be heat treated to a maximum attainable hardness of Rockwell C39-C65. Diameter tolerance is -0.008". Straightness tolerance is not rated. Length tolerance is ±1" for 1-ft. lengths, ±3" for 3-ft. lengths, and ±6" for 6-ft. lengths.

TOO LOOSE!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

There you have it -

I'll be ordering some 1/2"reamer blank srtock and probably turn some threads on the end to capture in the assembly - or drill and pin.
Hope that helps pass along a few lessons - Looking forward to some of yours.

Cheers - Jim

12/23/2011 10:26 am  #6

BUSHINGS  Anyone??

Here is a comprehensive site that lists and stocks all sizes of bushings - including recommenadions for building control arms.

http://www.suspension.com

Here are a few:

For your Upper Control Arms:

and the Lower Control Arms:

I note they give a recommendation of sleve size to bolt diameters too - might be interesting to check out.

Best of  Luck, and

Cheers - Jim

12/27/2011 3:07 pm  #7

Nice thread!!!  I especially like the double adjusters, in fact I have had a hard time finding similar parts so those are great to see!!  A word of caution on these plates:

I bought a bunch thinking they would be perfect for adjustable shock mounts but the holes are far enough from the edge that is creates interference with the shock body during suspension travel.  They are fantastic for rod ends however.

As we are adding parts, most of these suspension units use coil overs... not all but as a whole coil overs offer the simplest solution and great performance.  I like QA1s and summit racing is a good source

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

1/11/2012 8:38 am  #8

If you were to use ball joints to build your IRS as like the C5 and C6 Corvette. Howe Racing makes some low friction ball joints. Chrysler screw in ball  joints are common on aftermarket parts.Howe parts are also sold through Summit Racing. Ed Howe is a Midwestern Short Track Legend. I saw him win the last race ever run at Heidelberg, The Gulf PRA 250. Over 150 cars came to qualify, drivers included Dick Trickle, Joy Fair, Bob Senneker

http://www.howeracing.com/c-560-howe-precision-ball-joints.aspx

Last edited by Ralphy (1/11/2012 10:29 am)

1/11/2012 9:25 am  #9

So now your looking for coilovers and spring. Hyperco offers a complete line of springs. They manufacture composite leaf springs carbon coils and something new I see. Carbon-Composite Bellows Springs, 1/3 the weight of carbon steel. View their Power Point Presentation. From what I hear Hyperco offers a more accurate spring rate than most. Supplier to Formula1, NASCAR, Indy and more

http://www.hypercoils.com/

Videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt2MhWgpWLA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AELeT4gkzSI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH4oqB7zFio

Carbon-Composite Bellows Springs
http://www.hypercoils.com/PDF/Hyperco_CarbonFiberBellowsSpring_datasheet.pdf

http://www.hypercoils.com/game_changer.aspx

Last edited by Ralphy (1/11/2012 1:36 pm)

1/11/2012 9:38 am  #10

Pro Shocks, I for whatever reason called Pro Shocks. I discovered they are a local Atlanta company. Better than that I also found out they are more of an engineering company. They design many of the aftermarket coilover shocks on the market today. If you have questions they have engineers who will gladly talk with you. I found they worked heavily in the AC Cobra kit car area. Big in oval track racing.

http://www.proshocks.com/

Last edited by Ralphy (1/11/2012 9:44 am)

1/11/2012 9:58 am  #11

1/11/2012 4:12 pm  #12

Well, there is the SPOHN "Del-Sphere"  A similar fitting with a zerk fitting -- forged casting, threaded in LH/RH, and Delrin Bush!  Thread is 3/4 -16.  ABout $50.

Last edited by phantomjock (1/11/2012 4:13 pm)

1/11/2012 4:14 pm  #13

I didn't mean to be such a tease -- here the pic:

Cheers - Jim

1/17/2012 7:30 pm  #14

Stolen From Jim

Longer Version

Pix taken from this thread.

http://irsforum.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=286

Last edited by Ralphy (1/17/2012 7:37 pm)

1/17/2012 9:18 pm  #15

i was looking for those lol, i messaged JBL today to find out some info on them, but no answer on the phone, then emailed them, but nothing back.

3/06/2012 5:30 am  #16

Seals It

http://www.sealsit.com/rodend.asp

Last edited by Ralphy (3/06/2012 5:30 am)

3/06/2012 5:37 am  #17

Aurora seems to make high quality rod ends and spherical bearings. They make a line for aircraft/military, a industry that demands quality.

http://www.aurorabearing.com/

Last edited by Ralphy (9/10/2012 6:13 am)

5/03/2012 4:45 pm  #18

Nice thread Phantomjock

one question what company had the threaded tube ends?

Thanks

5/03/2012 6:45 pm  #19

4Tigers - Welcome aboard!
There are a couple of companies.
Depending on if you want to pay retail or search for best deals...

Off the top of my cranium -- Speedway, maybe Summit, and Jegs.  Also I'd check ALLSTAR, and UB.  UB seems - but I haven't sleuthed out - seems to be a manufacturer and might have a good price on many bits. 

It seems for many of the tubes its almost the same price to buy the Aluminum - or steel tubes built to length - than buy the ends and weld your own.

Good luck.

Cheers - Jim

5/07/2012 2:15 pm  #20

This company used to (I bought some here):
http://www.spidertrax.com

I think they still do but have in the past.

5/08/2012 5:51 am  #21

Rod End Supply has a good selection of radius rods:
http://www.rodendsupply.com/radius-rods.php

10/10/2012 12:50 pm  #22

Stock Car Steel and Aluminum
I was recently emailed this one. They carry 7075 aluminum. Titanium sheets, delrin, polycarbonate sheets, aluminum diamond plate, stainless steel, DOM, 4130, 4140. flat, square, round, tube, etc...

http://www.stockcarsteel.com/

Last edited by Ralphy (10/10/2012 1:07 pm)

11/14/2012 6:24 am  #23

11/23/2012 3:27 pm  #24

2/23/2013 4:59 am  #25

These are available in 4 and 8 foot lengths as 7/8 or 3/4.  The center is "TAP READY" - so buy a couple of taps for Left Hand & Right Hand in 7/8 or 3/4 from McMaster Carr - and you have matching adjustable hex rods for way less that buying outright!  Or, use the material for making intermediate adjustable links/bits too.

If you want them annodized - you'd DIY that and have any color you'd like - and learn a new skill.

Cheers - Jim

Last edited by phantomjock (2/23/2013 5:00 am)

2/23/2013 8:14 am  #26

Phantomjock,  I buy most of my brackets for the race cars at
A&A Manufacturing
10933 174th Avenue
Spring Lake, MI.49456
1-800-4731730
www.aa-mfg.com
Thay have all kinds of brackets, tabs, steel bushings,shock brackets,. The list goes on.

The swedged tubes, heims from
Speedway Motors
1-800-979-0122
www.Speedwaymotors.com
Steve

Never, never kick a fresh turd on a hot day

2/23/2013 3:22 pm  #27

I used to buy pre-manufactured tubes - now -- structly DIY!
Coleman has steel tube ready to Tap as well.  Doing the TAP beets the tube + welded ends price by almost 2:1.  And for fabing your own using the Taps vs buying a pre built tube, is maybe 3:4 (factoring in cost of the Taps of course.)  Your mileage may vary.

Cheers - Jim

Board footera