Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

1/16/2012 7:59 pm  #1

Where to buy these camber adjusters???

I was wondering if anyone could tell me where someone could buy some of these camber adjusters that was in a picture that Ralphy posted in another thread of the rear IRS on a JBL AC Cobra???
here is the pic

1/16/2012 10:05 pm  #2

Re: Where to buy these camber adjusters???

The JBL site says the ends are FK model  PTFE. However I do not see the nut. Maybe you could email JBL and ask. Or they probably can be made fairly cheap.

Upper Control Arm. Fabricated tubular steel with urethane outboard pivot and FK PTFE lined rodends at the inboard pickup points. Attachment of the anti-roll bar is on the upper surface.
http://www.jblmotor.com/JBLchassis.html

FK
http://www.fkrodends.com/download.html

Jim (phantomjock)  may have some clues here. He posts at VetteMod and I know someone there recommended the best Heims to buy. They recommend the dust covers also.

Last edited by Ralphy (1/16/2012 10:10 pm)

1/17/2012 4:38 pm  #3

DAMN---here I go again - I've been looking for these too - ever since I saw the aproach in Alan Sataniforth's book.  So, I had to now get it out of the way -- someone else is looking too.
Well, that gentle prodding has paid off somewhat.

First, for you consideration: 

Expensive - but ready made!

From over at the LOCOST sites;

Now, they are really all about LO-Cost - so this is a DIY apporach.

The pieces are described as, "3/4" dia rod, bored and threaded one end for Heim, bored other end for bolt. Weld bolt to rod.  It fits inside a 1" dia x 0.12" wall tube in wishbones. I use it on front, upper, outer for infinite adjustment of camber. I buy grade 5 bolts for $.50/lb so cutting them is no great expense."

Now that is a Lo-Cost approach.  But hey what else would work.
How about some hex-tube cut down and turned to fit inside the tube -- could work. (Keep a hex shape on the outside to turn-tighten-adjust.  Use plenty of anti-seize for the Aluminum/Steel interface - and good as gold!   (from Midwest Control Products Corp)

Note I priced it at the 6 inch length - not bad - eh.  Chuck it in the lathe, turn it down to fit you tube, cut in two - and you have 2 adjusters for $13 plus machine time! No welding required.  You'd probably want a bushing/bearing surface between the steel tube and the Aluminum "nut" you're keeping.  But Easy-Peasy!

Hope that helps!

Cheers - Jim

UNDERCONSTRUCTION! Highly Modified C3 Corvette
         Dual Wishbone IRS w Subframe + Custom Uprights

1/17/2012 9:30 pm  #4

Jim,  this is just what im looking for, i was actually on HPWORLD.COM last nite,  but lost power when some storms rolled through and gave up and headed to bed, thanks for looking, and finding what i was needing, i may just make my own like you said, dad has a lathe in his garage so should be simple to do either way, thanks Chris

1/18/2012 3:23 am  #5

Chris - with a litttle bit of effort there is a small businees opportuity!
Post your progress - it would be good to see how they turn out. ;)

Cheers - Jim

UNDERCONSTRUCTION! Highly Modified C3 Corvette
         Dual Wishbone IRS w Subframe + Custom Uprights

1/18/2012 7:01 am  #6

as i'm doing this, im taking pics, and im going to try and make 2 versions of these, i really need some that are shorter to allow me to use wider wheels, and mini tubbing the car with an IRS is unheard of from what i have found, most cobra guys ditch the IRS for a SRA  for drag racing anyway. But i want to make some that are factory length just to see if anyone be interested in them, going to try and make an adjustable jig for the arms to make them up. The only aftermarket arms i know of are the Kenny Brown arms, and your looking for almost $1500 for the uppers and lowers, i know Kenny Brown stuff is good, have run his stuff on my other cars, but man thats expensive.

Board footera