Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

3/13/2015 6:49 pm  #151

Re: The Jaguar IRS picture thread

Just as a note in passing.  I had mentioned that I always had some wheel hop with the XJ6 suspension in its some what stock configuration. Well I re valved and  cut down four AFCO 1300 series twin tube coil over shocks. They had 7" travel and I shortened the tubes and the rod for 5" travel The Previous settings with the adjustable's was 3, 4 in the front of axle shocks and 3,5's behind the axle.  The first number is compression dampning and the second extendtion dampning. I revalved a non adjustable set to 6,7 in all four positions. Now I have zero wheel hop. I was using AFCO double adjustable shocks before but they would not adjust above a 5 in either direction so they are holding my bench down now.

10/28/2015 8:00 pm  #152

Early Jag IRS Half Shaft U-Joints appear to be the same as 55-64 Chevy U-joints.  Has anyone else heard this?

"'Cars are like primates. They need to squat to go.'—Carroll Smith"

10/29/2015 10:03 pm  #153

Yes I have discovered this as well. I have had the best luck finding Chev one ton camper specials with 14 bolt rear ends. The most common chevys I found were aprox 70-79 heavy duty two wheel drive.. These came with a two piece drive shaft. All u joints are the same size but only half of the front shaft is useful due to the slip joint and carrier bearing.

12/04/2015 8:16 pm  #154

Good afternoon,

I purchased a 1956 Ford pickup in August from California and in order to register it here in Alberta Canada it requires an emergency / parking brake to be installed. The rear end set up I have been told is a late ’80’s maybe early ’90’s Jaguar XJS.  It has been totally rebuilt and the guy I bought the truck from didn’t install the Jag Handbrake Calipers when he rebuilt it.

I’m looking at options on what to do. This is because I feel there is not enough room between the bottom of the cross member to the top of the rotor to install the handbrake calipers and pull mechanism.  So before I go out and purchase and try to install the Jag handbrake calipers and they end up not fitting, then I would be back to square one looking at other options. It would be great if someone else has a custom install where they could confirm the space required to install the Jag Handbrakes.

Would anyone have a setup and they are using the Jag Handbrakes?

If a member could verify the height required between the top of the rotor and the underside of the cross member based on your build that would really help. I have looked at some other options for a separate parking brake calliper to be installed on the main rotor and I have looked at the drive shaft style as well, but both solutions still would require a custom mounting bracket. Any advice or help would be great.

I have reviewed the complete JAG Forum chain of messages and it looks like there are a few builds that are using the Jag Handbrakes where they have removed the cage and have similar cross members where the rear end is mounted to.

I'm really looking forward to discussing my issue and it would be great if there ends up being enough room to infall the Jag Handbrakes.

Cheers!
Kevin

1/28/2016 10:30 pm  #155

Here is some shots on my 94 XJS in a 60 F-100

Last edited by Slick111 (1/28/2016 10:32 pm)

1/28/2016 10:45 pm  #156

2/19/2016 10:14 pm  #157

Has anyone else had a problem with shearing off the 4  7/16ths bolts that secure the rotor and companion flange to the inner stub axle? I have sheared off all the bolts on both sides now and am bumping them up to 1/2 -20 grade 8 bolts. There wasnt any drama involved. I just heard a loud snap then I only had the posi to motivate the car. After I got the car towed home I jacked the rear end up and the wheel literally flopped over. The vehicle weight held everything together. 

2/27/2016 6:23 pm  #158

tyrellracing wrote:

Has anyone else had a problem with shearing off the 4  7/16ths bolts that secure the rotor and companion flange to the inner stub axle? I have sheared off all the bolts on both sides now and am bumping them up to 1/2 -20 grade 8 bolts. There wasnt any drama involved. I just heard a loud snap then I only had the posi to motivate the car. After I got the car towed home I jacked the rear end up and the wheel literally flopped over. The vehicle weight held everything together. 

Can't say that I've had or even heard of this problem before. Glad there wasn't more damage!

8/13/2016 1:45 pm  #159

Found this pic on eBay, Jag IRS under a Healy 3000 replica.

At these prices I want my gas 100 octane, leaded, and my windshield washed!

9/24/2019 9:20 pm  #160

My Curt Hamilton built center, 3.92, Power Lock, and Willwood brakes.

Hmm, cannot get the flickr pic to post.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/184463295@N02/48791159973/in/album-72157710905927601/

Last edited by Richard/SIA (9/24/2019 9:27 pm)

At these prices I want my gas 100 octane, leaded, and my windshield washed!

Board footera