Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

12/13/2016 3:16 pm  #91

Re: The aftermarket IRS picture thread

Nick_P wrote:

Interesting site but wow, so little activity.  Anyone here like the new IRS from AME

Welcome - and get that second post in so you can add pics!  I personally am in and out on an infrequent basis.  Will restaert my Corvett project next season.  This year I get/have to move my sailboat from South East Asia to South Africa  - so have been busy with getting that all ready.

Ask away any questions you might have - but be patient - I think many members are otherwise "engaged," like me and drop in from time-to-time. 

Cheers - Jim

UNDERCONSTRUCTION! Highly Modified C3 Corvette
         Dual Wishbone IRS w Subframe + Custom Uprights

8/19/2018 2:19 pm  #92

paul65fbproject
I'm also interested in building a 65 with IRS based on the Arning design. Have you made any progress? Have you seen the online info from the new R Code cars by the "Original Venice Crew"?

2/20/2019 1:57 pm  #93

Just started the disassembly phase. I have the interior gutted and now need to pull the engine, trans and wiring harnesses. The follow up step is to take it up to Grave Robbers in Cumming , GA for a structural assessment/repairs. I am looking to do a Coyote install with the Tremec 6 speed trans. I am looking at Mustangs to Fear for the front suspension. My hold up is contacting them on questions about the front spindles and brake fitment. I want to put the 14" Brembo package from FRPP and utilize the Ford hubs. I am investigating installing ABS and want to utilize the Ford hubs and tone rings. 
I want to utilize the Super 8.8" rear end with the Torsen diff. The '15 Mustang rear knuckles look to be a good  starting point with the diff to build the IRS (the GT rear brakes would be a bolt in). Need a design or source for the center section mount to the body, with that the geometry of the upper and lower control arms and toe links fall into place. My concern is the half shaft lengths. The '15 "stang has a wider track than the '65 and I don't know the proper way to shorten the shafts to fit (cut & weld?). 
I retired last March and am now getting into the knuckle busting phase. 

2/20/2019 4:38 pm  #94

wow sounds like quite a project.  Got any pics??  I am assuming you are working on a classic Mustang? I would think you could do a mount similar to what I did for my Jaguar only specific to the modern IRS.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

Board footera