Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

2/02/2019 5:59 pm  #1

Distance Between Top of Coils/shocks

I am wondering if anybody can tell me what stock dimensions are for the distance between top of coils with regards to a Jaguar XJ6 and an E Type IRS.
I own both which came to me out of their cages and as I plan to use them in non-Jaguar vehicles I have no referenece dimensions.
Yes, I know, I tried the Jaguar Forum and that was a waste of time, so now I am asking you guys who are more closely into what I like.
Any help would be appreciated and any comments on how one determines a shock angle in general would be worth reading/knowing in my case.

Many thanks,

Russ.

Last edited by Oddbod (2/02/2019 6:00 pm)

2/02/2019 7:11 pm  #2

Re: Distance Between Top of Coils/shocks

I can measure a set from an XJ6 that I have in my garage.  What dimensions specifically are you after diameter, and eye to eye??

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

2/02/2019 7:19 pm  #3

Yes, eye to eye please.

Last edited by Oddbod (2/03/2019 9:01 am)

2/04/2019 4:32 pm  #4

Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday.  Been dealing with snow removal after a storm.  When I measured I came up with about 13.25" center to center.  Let me know if you need anything else.

2/04/2019 4:50 pm  #5

Hi Daze, thanks for your effort, but, for an distance eye to eye at top of coil over shocks in the cage, that measurement is way too short to be correct.
I have an S type Jaguar measurement which is slightly narrower than an XJ6 IRS and that comes in at
27.75 inches.

Can you double check please.

2/05/2019 8:53 am  #6

Not sure what you are working with but those XJ6 numbers are correct.  here is an excerpt from a PDF on identifying Jar IRS units

2/05/2019 2:57 pm  #7

No Daze, since my Jag IRS is out of the cage, I have no cross measurement for the locating points for the top end of the coils.
I need the distance between the LH side and the RH side.
It will be a horizontal dimension.
It is the measurement that sets the angle for the shocks when mounted to the cage, as the other end of the shocks are mounted to the lower arms.

I don't have the computer skills to show in a pic, but if you look at the black and blue IRS at the top of the page we are on now, you will see that in that picture the pair of lower arms have a bolting/mounting point on each for the lower shock connection.
The distance between these points is set by the lower arms, however the top distance between the shocks is set by where they are mounted and since I don't have a cage I need to know what that horizontal distance is???

2/05/2019 3:19 pm  #8

sorry about that I totally misunderstood what you were after.  I have a cage out in the garage and will get that measurement for you.

2/05/2019 5:41 pm  #9

hard to get a really precise measurement with part of the cage in the way, but it should be close to 29 & 3/8"  Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

2/05/2019 5:48 pm  #10

Well done Daze, that will be near enough for me at this stage.

2/14/2019 5:52 pm  #11

Still holding my breath for a measurement from the E Type top of coils measurement...

2/15/2019 3:49 pm  #12

When I first started my project I was able to compare an XJ and an E type and near as I could tell at the time everything was proportional.  in other words the LCA and the UCA were shortened the same amount.  With that in mind the upper mounts are probably moved in an amount that is the same as the difference  in distance between the E type and XJ type rear ends.

If you don't mind my asking what value does that # give you?  If you don't have the cage you have the advantage of mounting the coil overs in the most optimum location for both spring rate and configuration of your specific vehicle.  I understand that many people try to set these rear ends up the way Jag did and there are advantages to that but coil-over angle will only effect spring rate so it can easily be modified without effecting the OEM Jag design.

2/15/2019 4:24 pm  #13

Actually I have tried that using S Type and XJ6 measurements to see if I can interpolate the X Type dimension, but was not satisfied with the result.
I have a X Type measurement offered as an educated guess from a guy who should know and he says 24"+ but by interpolation I am way past 25".
When setting ride height just a minor change of Coilover angle can not only change the ride comfort but also the ride height, so I would prefer to set out with known numbers and work from there.
Even using a homemade cross member and losing the cage, there is little room for adjustment at the Coilover tops as they have a minimum of clearance at the eyelet for adjusting ride height once it is determined that a first choice was incorrect.
In late 20's early 30's hot rods there is little spare room to be building in adjustment options that may never be used.
Later years offer the luxury of such features...

2/15/2019 4:50 pm  #14

You are absolutely correct that mounting angle has a direct effect on spring rate and then due to a change in spring rate, ride height and ride quality.  Custom springs are not very expensive so one you have it all together getting the "correct" spring rate is not hard.

There is always the option of making the upper mount adjustable.  Thats what I did on mine so that I could change the coilover angle to perfectly suite my application.  In my case it was as simple as drilling holes 1" apart.  If you have a close educated guess you could center your cluster of holes on that measurement and then have the added benefit of dialing in the system perfectly by moving it a hole or two to either side. Just a thought

2/15/2019 5:22 pm  #15

It appears my last reply was lost for some reason.
I was trying to post a couple of pic's of a cross member that I liked but discovered I don't know how to load pic's from my PC onto your forum.
I don't use any of those photo storage guys and have no plan to in the future.

Maybe a couple of guiding words to get me started loading pic's...

2/15/2019 5:24 pm  #16

Other than using a hosting place like image shack the only other option would be for you to email them to me.  I can host them, and then send you the links to add to your posts.

2/15/2019 5:44 pm  #17

PM sent for email address swap...

2/16/2019 10:03 am  #18

I sent you a PM with all the links to the hosted pictures

2/17/2019 12:17 am  #19

Daze, I'm very happy for you to post those pic's I sent you if you like...
I'm sure it would make it much easier all round.

Board footera