Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

2/24/2016 2:35 pm  #1

Triumph Spitfire Redo

As the title says, I have a Spitfire and I can not wait to replace the stock rear suspension.  My Donor is the rear suspension from a Subaru Justy. It has a nice and lite solid mounted diff section, (hopefully not too lite duty!) lower control arms and struts plus two links going forward. The drive shafts have C/V joints and solid steel axles. I want to cut and shorten 1 driveshaft so that I can move the centered diff section over towards the passenger side. That way I will have less angle on the driveshaft from the engine/ trans. which will be mounted over to the passenger side.
Instead of also shortening the lower control arm on the shortened side I was going to move it's inner mount over. Will the difference in mounting points relative to the center of the vehicle as well as the different axle lengths have an effect when the suspension works up and down. I only expect to have 2 maybe 3 inch's of travel.

5/15/2016 10:33 pm  #2

Re: Triumph Spitfire Redo

I'm putting a custom Sierra/Merkur based IRS into my GT6.
I would never weld the half-shaft to shorten it.
Look at interchange books, you may be able to swap for one of the correct length.
If that fails you may be able to cut it shorter and respline one end.

At these prices I want my gas 100 octane, leaded, and my windshield washed!

6/24/2017 8:41 am  #3

Richard/SIA wrote:

I'm putting a custom Sierra/Merkur based IRS into my GT6.
I would never weld the half-shaft to shorten it.
Look at interchange books, you may be able to swap for one of the correct length.
If that fails you may be able to cut it shorter and respline one end.

I have recently purchased a Merkur XR4Ti rear end and axles, plus hubs from a wrecker...... how goes your progress? any pics or info on shorter axles?

6/30/2017 2:51 pm  #4

I'll second the recommendation not to cut/weld.  My IRS had welded axles and one broke 2nd time out.  Not fun.  If you can't find an interchange or cut & respline one end, there are shops that will make a CV axle any length you want with any splines.  Or you can just order the shaft & assemble with your bird cage, flanges, stub axle, etc.

6/30/2017 10:13 pm  #5

Thanks for your reply Rficalra, I have drag raced on welded axles in a solid beam type rear end before, if you have an open diff all that happens is it just gives you neutral...., no drive.... anyway. I agree that resplined axles would be best, still looking for a factory original equipted, used hub/upright that is small and uses 4 on 100 mm rim mounting, any ideas?

Board footera