Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

2/15/2017 5:10 pm  #1

Jaguar IRS on Airride?

Hello every one!

Just registered.
Let me introduce myself.
I am Kees from the Netherlands.
My project is a 1959 Chevrolet Apache Pick Up truck. 350 SBC with a 700R4 trans.
I bought it in the USA a few years back and been building my dream ride out of it.
After two years it's now drivable 

I built it with 1986 Jaguar XJ12  IFS and IRS, took the brakebooster and steering from the same car, a nice set.

Coming right at my problem, hope you can help me a bit.
The back is too soft, the coilovers are not up to their job. When normal driving I have no problem, but when I put load in the back the truck drops too much.
It has no progressive springs.

I have looked into adjustable coilovers, they have to come from the UK because they're not sold in Holland, and very expensive.
Other thing is airride, that has for me more possibilities, because you can add airpressure with load (to a certain amount...).

So, to come to my question:
what is the best place to put the airbags??
In front of the LCA or at the rear of the LCA??
And why??
Bags at one side, shockabsorbers at the other side, instead of the two coilovers (per side).
I just read so much different things, I want to know what is best.

Any tips, links and eventually pictures of an airride equipped IRS is much appreciated!!

I'm eager to learn as much as possible!

I've tried the search button, but nothing came up, G**gle isn't a great help either....

Thanks in advance!

Grtz,
Kees

Grtz,
Keesie

2/19/2017 4:53 pm  #2

Re: Jaguar IRS on Airride?

Keesie wrote:

what is the best place to put the airbags??
In front of the LCA or at the rear of the LCA??
And why??
Bags at one side, shockabsorbers at the other side, instead of the two coilovers (per side).

Nobody can put me in the right direction??

Grtz,
Keesie

2/25/2017 9:03 am  #3

Hey Kessie,
Welcome aboard. My suggestion to you would be to check out low rider websites and forums. They use Jag IRS and air bag setups all the time.
How expensive is shipping from the states? I know that QA1 shocks have progressive springs but four sets might be cost prohibitive. I'd check out Summit Racing for prices.
Also, check out Ride Tech, they might pics and kits to give you ideas.
Good luck with the project!

2/25/2017 10:46 am  #4

Thanks 303Radar.

Shipping from the states is also expensive for Four coilovers.
I was researching airride and when I put a set together myself, it is just as expensive as coilovers, except  that I have all Four corners done for that price.
Summit, Jegs, Speedway are all in the same range.
Photo's are really hard to find Unfortunatly.

So, airride it will be it then.
My only question is where to mount the rear bags, at the front or at the back of the LCA??
Or doesn't it matter where you mount them???
That is what I really want to know.

I also will check the lowrider sites, but I thought they mostly used hydraulics.
If you have a link to such sites, please let me know?
Thanks!!

Grtz,

Kees

Grtz,
Keesie

4/06/2017 5:47 am  #5

Also interested in this.......

1941 Chevrolet Coupe getting a XJS IFS/IRS
now thinking Ill also do my 1962 Rocketbird.

4/06/2017 8:54 am  #6

Well Rogue41,
There isn't much reply.
I've been collecting parts for the airride, so within a few weeks I will start building .

I think there are not many people that have Jag IRS on airride around the world, I don't get much answers on different boards. I think I'm going to build it with the space I have and hope for the best...

I'll keep you posted if you want.
Thanks!

Grtz,
Keesie

11/01/2017 6:30 pm  #7

Check out Finnegan's video, although it uses a Ford Expedition IRS, this might give you some alternative mounting ideas using cantilever with air bags:

3/10/2019 9:38 pm  #8

Just noticed this thread.
I have some similar concern for my '68 El Camino build.
Do not want the complication of air-bags, I'm planning to just fit two Air-Shocks to complement the other two regular shocks and springs.
Air-Shocks are inexpensive and light.

At these prices I want my gas 100 octane, leaded, and my windshield washed!

Board footera