Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

2/26/2016 5:33 pm  #1

Help! Can anyone help me identify this irs?

I'm looking to identify the manufacturer of the IRS in a street rod that I'm trying to finish.  I can't seem to post pics yet as I'm a new member to this page.  I hope that there is a place I can go online or locally in the Milwaukee WI area whereI can buy the bushings for the control arms and shims/ instructions for alignment.  Any help would be appreciated!

2/26/2016 5:35 pm  #2

Re: Help! Can anyone help me identify this irs?

I'm still trying to post pics...

2/26/2016 5:36 pm  #3

2/26/2016 5:38 pm  #4

2/26/2016 5:40 pm  #5

2/26/2016 5:41 pm  #6

2/26/2016 5:42 pm  #7

sorry about the huge pics...    'puters!

2/27/2016 4:38 pm  #8

It's off a Jag, pretty nice setup. I don't remember when they moved out board brakes, but this is definitely inboard. Can't tell which year, but a lot of the parts are interchangeable enough that asking  for parts off a mid 70s xj12 should get you good replacement parts.
Any specific questions?

2/28/2016 9:52 am  #9

So you are thinking genuine Jaguar?  Any suggestions on where to get parts?

2/28/2016 9:54 am  #10

Specifically, I'm looking for the bushings that go behind the nuts pictured in the 2nd pic (#4 on this thread).  I took the ford logo off to clean it up and noticed there are no bushings in there.  I assume there should be...

2/28/2016 8:28 pm  #11

Its definitely a Jag rear. To verify the year with out id tags you will need to pull one of the inner stub axles to see if it is supported be ball or roller bearings. Early Jag rears used ball bearings and are not desirable. To find the break down of years you need to look in the pages of the old forum.   There should be washers with O ring seals behind the nuts in your Pictures. The lower control arms should be supported by needle bearings at the inner pivot and tapered roller bearings at the outer Pivot. Bushings in either location will not be stock jag parts. Bushings will not last as long as needle bearings but some people like them. I prefer bearings.

Last edited by tyrellracing (2/28/2016 8:36 pm)

Board footera