Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

2/08/2016 5:15 pm  #1

HELLO FROM NELZIRS

Hi everybody! I found this place by accident and figured I would join. My project is just a bolt on project, but an independent rear suspension is part of it, so I figure it belongs in here. Introducing...The Daddywagon!

Last edited by nelzirs (5/08/2016 12:50 pm)

2/08/2016 5:19 pm  #2

Re: HELLO FROM NELZIRS

I guess I need more than one post for pics to work. The project is a 1985 Ford LTD station wagon. The midsized one not the full size Ford wagon. I actually have it on several other forums. I call it my Daddywagon.

2/08/2016 5:21 pm  #3

2/08/2016 5:35 pm  #4

The picture above was when I bought the wagon for $500 off of a used car lot in 2010 I think. My wife says I bought it on her birthday, which I don't remember. She is not a fan of the wagon. Maybe if  I finish it, she will like it more.

2/08/2016 5:49 pm  #5

The one thing that makes all that I have done and have yet to do to the wagon possible is the fact that it is built upon the Ford fox chassis. The fox chassis started in 1978 on the Ford Fairmont among others including every mustang from 1979-2004. I think you know where I am going with this.

2/08/2016 5:52 pm  #6

This mustang had a busted supercharged 5.0 engine, but it also had a 5 lug  cobra brake conversion at all 4 corners.

2/08/2016 5:56 pm  #7

This mustang had a running (albeit not running well)5.0 v-8 engine and a Tremec 3550 manual transmission.

2/08/2016 6:07 pm  #8

Then this happened.

Last edited by nelzirs (2/08/2016 6:09 pm)

2/08/2016 6:18 pm  #9

And this.

2/08/2016 6:23 pm  #10

And this.

2/08/2016 6:34 pm  #11

And of course, the reason I am here... independent rear suspension from a 2004 Mustang Cobra.

2/08/2016 6:38 pm  #12

And so it sits waiting for me to complete its transformation. There is quite a bit more to the Daddywagon. Hopefully this spring which is something I have been saying to myself the past two winters before this one.

2/11/2016 4:00 am  #13

Talk about a sleeper project.
Looks like fun!

2/11/2016 9:07 am  #14

It's not done yet obviously, but yes, fun sleeper is the goal!

2/12/2016 6:14 pm  #15

Talk about a sleeper. I like it. I have owned 3 fox body 5.0's. None were as good as the white one you used as a organ donor. They were all plain 4 lug units with T5's and fairly quick. What kind of supercharger was employed in the donor car? Are you planning on putting it in the wagon?

2/13/2016 4:45 am  #16

The supercharger was a p600. It also had an air to air intercooler. What happened was previous owner would tighten up the belt tension on a 12 rib pulley that stuck out 6 inches, maybe more, form the block. Eventually, the crank just gave up. While I still have the supercharger, I have amassed all the makings for a 351 windsor install that would use the stock eec-iv fuel injection. I have upper and lower intakes, 24lb. injectors with calibrated mass air sensor, a new flywheel with the correct balance, headers, 351 swap oil pan, 351 swap power steering/ac bracket, svo extender for wot / a/f  adjustment and a roller cam 351 motor out of an early ford lightning with gt40 heads with crane/ford 1.7 roller rockers. I also bought spacers to go between front subframe and chassis which combined with convertible motor mounts should allow a stock hoodline. Yeah. I have over thought and over researched this thing completely. Will the execution match the vision? Who knows? I just bought 17" crown vic steel police rims and center caps to add to the sleeper theme. 17's because of the cobra brakes. I will add the rest of my pics for you all to see.

2/13/2016 4:53 am  #17

2/13/2016 4:56 am  #18

2/13/2016 5:00 am  #19

2/13/2016 5:04 am  #20

2/13/2016 5:07 am  #21

2/13/2016 5:10 am  #22

2/13/2016 5:14 am  #23

2/13/2016 5:17 am  #24

2/13/2016 5:21 am  #25

2/13/2016 5:23 am  #26

2/17/2016 7:33 am  #27

Nothing wrong with doing your home work before spending your hard earned money. I have a 67 Shelby with a 408 cleveland. C3 heads and an old aluminum block, steel crank,H beam rods,Probe forged dished pistons, Jesel valvetrain, Ti valves and retainers. All thanks to E bay. I want to go to EFI so bad I cant stand it. Just cannot afford the set up I want that will allow me to put twin turbos on it. I have the turbo's and fabbed up the headers with waste gate outlets out of stainless. I copied a Griggs racing GR350 front suspension and put a jag IRS in back. 19 inch wheels, 3.50 gears with posi. 14 inch rotors w 6 piston calipers in front and modified rear inboard brakes in back that are fed cool air from the stock scoops on the GT 350.  It isnt slow right now, I just seem to want stupid fast. Too much U tube I guess. I envy your ability to use a ford FI set up. Thats way cool !!!

Last edited by tyrellracing (2/17/2016 7:44 am)

2/17/2016 8:15 am  #28

This engine is making just over 600 hp at the crank at 7000 rpms. Its still climbing at 7 K but with a 4 inch stroke and 6 inch rods, I have a rod to stroke ratio of 1.5. Not ideal for high rpms so I shut it down at 7K. I need to drop my power band to a lower rpm so I am not beating the bottom end apart.Thats where the turbos come in. Your 351w has a far superior R/S ratio. and should make your wagon haul ass. Kudo's on a well thought out project. I spent money on a ultra high rpm nascar valve train for an engine with a 1.5 R/S ratio. Thats what happens when you dont think things all the way through. LOL. Nothing wrong with over thinking things as long as you stay on target. Again, you have a cool project! keep up the good work. 

2/17/2016 9:02 am  #29

tyrellracing wrote:

This engine is making just over 600 hp at the crank at 7000 rpms. Its still climbing at 7 K but with a 4 inch stroke and 6 inch rods, I have a rod to stroke ratio of 1.5. Not ideal for high rpms so I shut it down at 7K. I need to drop my power band to a lower rpm so I am not beating the bottom end apart.Thats where the turbos come in. Your 351w has a far superior R/S ratio. and should make your wagon haul ass. Kudo's on a well thought out project. I spent money on a ultra high rpm nascar valve train for an engine with a 1.5 R/S ratio. Thats what happens when you dont think things all the way through. LOL. Nothing wrong with over thinking things as long as you stay on target. Again, you have a cool project! keep up the good work. 

Thanks for the props! Your Shelby sounds bad***! Funny you should mention r/s ratio, I am considering a long rod 351w build. I know the detractors say it's a waste of time and money considering the available stroker kits out there but it's not all out power I am after. I want the fun daily driver with perfect street manners. I want just enough power to give almost every car a run for their money. The little bit of info I have read about a long rod 351 seems to fit the bill perfectly. No increase in displacement, just an increase in rod length from 5.956 inches to 6.580 inches. The available piston is made by Keith Black, part # kb333-030.
 I bought the rods before I bought the engine. Pistons are on my now list before they cease to exist.

2/18/2016 7:37 pm  #30

Its amazing what can be done with an extra .300 inch of deck height. You are on the right path with the long rod kit. The stroker kit wasn't a waste of money, I got the hp gain I wanted and a mountain of torque that came along for the ride. I just like engines that can wind up into the twilight zone. In all reality, the long rod engine will put less side load on the cylinder walls while creating more dwell time at TDC and BDC. This equates to more power through less friction and less spark advance provided you have efficient cylinder heads. Too much spark advance creates negative work, a power parasite. The biggest down side to extreme strokers in how the piston skirts get pulled out of the bores at BDC. This allows the piston to rock on re entry. A bad thing... The heads I got were set up for Ti valves with 5/16 stems plus the Ti units were cheaper used than new stainless. I figured what the hell. I have rebuilt lots of rods over the years and because of this I personally like H beam units with cap screws and floating wrist pins. They dont use the bolts to locate the caps and floating pins reduce friction. I have seen too many caps shift on final assembly causing crooked bearing wear. This was the cause of a rod failure on one build I did many years ago. It was a twin turbo SBC so who cares, right...all in good humor.

Board footera