Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/04/2015 8:56 pm  #1

drive axel/posi

I joined some yrs back when i first got my 66 mustang coupe, yes it is still in the same condition. I now have the chance to buy a irs out of a 1990 XJ6 Vanden jag. I was told by the salvage yard to make sure that it is a" locker" part # JAJLM192238. The problem is the undercoating is everywhere. Where do I look for this number?   side note vin# SAJKY1747LC609722
I would have thought that all irs are posi
thanks for the help
yolo

11/07/2015 1:14 am  #2

Re: drive axel/posi

You probably are looking at a  Salisbury differential.  Easy way to tell is if it has a drain plug.  Regardless, Power Lock was an option.  One way to tell if you have a "posi" rear in a car is to put it in neutral and raise the rear off the ground.  If you rotate a wheel and the other wheel rotates in the same direction it has a locking feature built into the differential.  If the wheel on the opposite side rotates in the opposite direction it does not have posi-traction.  If you don't have power lock it can be added by someone like Curt Hamilton.

Numerous ratios are available for the Salisbury, if a gear change is required.  There should be a tag, attached by a cover bolt, indicating the number of teeth on the ring and pinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0DeTzQWNBQ

"'Cars are like primates. They need to squat to go.'—Carroll Smith"

Board footera