Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

10/20/2014 6:41 pm  #1

Scion FRS stuff

Hi everyone,

I'm currently building a 1978 toyota corona drift car. We'll be utilizing the irs from a 2013 scion FRS. This presents many problems but IMO has quite a few benefits as well.

Here's the diff with an older style axle flange in it. This means it's pretty identical to all the previous 8" toyota diffs. This offers a lot of options for the inner cv as well as the axle flange (pretty much every lexus, supra etc) This rear end will see a lot of abuse so it's a major plus.

I ditched the torsen that came in it in favor of a trd 2 way mechanical (this is the best type for what I do).

Now on to the axle problems. This is the weak subaru type axle next to a normal toyot 8" one:

Because it's a 70s toyota we wanted to keep the car 4x114.3 this was accomplished by fitting a 4 lug nissan bearing to the toyota/subaru upright. The OD of the bearing fit nice and snug in the upright and two of the mounting holes lined up. The outer end of a nissan axle also fits well with no interference. 

The current dilemma is we need to make it narrower by 6-7". Mounting points aren't a concern since we have to build new frame rails anyhow. Stock geometry will be maintained with the whole thing mounted as high as possible in the chassis. The idea is to narrow it in the middle allowing the use of cheap available replacement arms for when we hit things (walls, other cars etc).

I guess my first question is, in your experience does a shortened rear end tend to have axle problems? It looks like the motion ratio of the axle will be much different and I don't want them binding and breaking cages. Next question, do any of you find that it's worthwhile to build a jig before starting the process?

If anyone's curious about the car itself here's a build thread (don't mind all the bickering) http://jzxproject.com/bbs/index.php?showtopic=9957

Just wanted to put this stuff out there and see what comes back. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by aphxero (10/20/2014 6:45 pm)

1/13/2015 10:17 am  #2

Re: Scion FRS stuff

Nice project.
You seem to have done a lot of research on narrowing your rear end. I'm in the process of putting a Supra Mk3 IRS in a Spitfire, and need to find shorter axles. Can you tell me if Toyota tends to use the same splines on most of their axles? I need axles about 3" shorter than the stock Supra axles.

Thanks,DLD

1/20/2015 2:08 am  #3

Re: Scion FRS stuff

There are not a lot of those parts Dakota 4x4 front wheel cartrige, used, out on the market so finding

Board footera