Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

12/21/2014 1:00 pm  #1

ride height

I'm installing a 8.8 irs into a 82 chevy pickup.At ride height do I want the half shafts to be level or running slightly down towards the wheels? If so by how much? 2 degrees? 3 degrees? Thanks

12/22/2014 3:26 am  #2

Re: ride height

Welcome aboard! 

You'll find the most common answer is level

However in the Corvette world, Greenwood (renowned Corvette performance guru) says to measure from the ground to the center of the outer and inner half shaft attachment points and there should be 1/2" difference. With the differential being the highest measurement of the half shaft.  Do this is with weight on the 4 wheels, and ride height set. [Preferably with 1/2 fuel load and driver's weight in seat.]

I'll add the "why" of this approach.  With the half shafts angled down from the differential, the Toe Angle of the rear suspension  goes more negative before it starts going more positive. Positive Toe Angle is unstable and no fun to drive. If you start with the halfshafts above horizontal then you will be moving toward positive toe at an increasing rate. Starting with the half shafts pointed down, not the case.

Hope that helps!  Post pics when you get to that "magical 3 posts."

Cheers - Jim

Last edited by phantomjock (12/22/2014 3:32 am)

UNDERCONSTRUCTION! Highly Modified C3 Corvette
         Dual Wishbone IRS w Subframe + Custom Uprights

Board footera