Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

12/06/2014 8:25 am  #1

Venting pipe on Jag IRS?

Hello,

I bought a jaguar IRS for my kitcar.
I have a question about the little black pipe in the picture below (within the red circle in the next post).

Mine doesn't have that. I only have the hole with the 90° bend screwed in, but not the black extension or the yellow cap. My questions:
1. What is this thing supposed to do? Venting?
2. Can I leave it like that? Or should I extend it and put a small filter on it?

Thanks a lot,

Q

12/06/2014 8:29 am  #2

Re: Venting pipe on Jag IRS?

12/08/2014 11:01 am  #3

Nice graphic.  Yes, it is venting.  Because of the possibility of water getting in, I'd be care on a filter type solution.  Try Kugel Komponents or Speedway motors for a replacement.  I'm sure a Jag Dealer could get you a part number and they may know of someplace local to you for a cheaper replacement.

What kind of kit car are you doing?

12/08/2014 11:02 am  #4

You are correct it is a vent.  The design is to let gasses out of the differential but not let dirt and grime in.  You must have it or you will blow out seals.  If you can not find a replacement piece another option would be to run a rubber hose off of the vent and then secure it to the frame or floor pans above the differential, then let 4 or 5 more inches of hose hang down from that secure point.  this is how most live axle differentials are vented.  make sense??  BTW Welcome to the forum!!!!!

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

12/09/2014 1:07 am  #5

Thanks a lot guys!!!

Board footera