Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

9/26/2014 5:42 pm  #1

Mk VIII IRS to 68-69 B-Body

Hey Folks...i'm trying to dig up some info, specs  I'm looking at wanting  to use a Mk VIII as a donor to a 68-69 Mopar B-Body Coronet, probably a four door for several reasons, but one is i think that the four door will be stiffer than even the 'Post' coupe's, wheelbase is same and weights are very close, though i under stand that there is some dimension difference in area above rear axle cove to side of and over rear wheel houses.  I'd love to do a Jag S Type IRS, but by the eyeball it looks to me that the Jag cage would be harder to locate than the Mk VIII rear subframe.  Any body on Here done a MkVIII IRS to a  68-69 Mopar B-Body?  Going to use all the V III running gear as well, sterring rack,  4.6 and 4 spd auto.  Pitch EFI and computer.....Kar Kraft makes Downdraft Weber manifols and complete induction set ups,...Edelbrock makes a 4Bbl intakes and MSD makes an ignition system to eliminate OEM computer engine management for The SOHC two valve, but not sure about a replacement ignition system for the 4 cam/4 valve.,  so i may have to do a head swap.   I read an article where all this was performed on an early SOHC 4.6 from a 93-94 Mustang, plus they changed cams and dyno'd the engine at 370 HP.  Anyway, if somone has done this particular rear swap....i'd love to hear from You.....and i'll definitely go with a dry sprung as opposed to the bags.  Thanks           Bladecutter

10/04/2014 5:13 pm  #2

Re: Mk VIII IRS to 68-69 B-Body

I bladecutter
  What infomation are you looking for regarding the mark VIII rear suspension?
I have a 62 Ford Galaxie  (read my post)
the Mark has a 60" track....
the front mounting points are 53"  wide,
I did not get a messurement  for the bushing mounting point, but it is just inside the other
I could not messure the rear mounting point...
While I was under the Mark today, it seemed like a daunting task, but I know others have done it.
I think if you took the time just to take one out of the Mark, it might give you a better understanding
of the suspension. I only went to the wreaking yard today to just see what was available, in both
the Mark and maybe a mustang,  I think the TBird is too wide
 I know I have not answered  you, but I thouhgt I'd let you know what your starting out with.
 All the Best

10/04/2014 7:06 pm  #3

Sanddoc, Thanks for chiming in.  this won't happen soon, but looking at a mark we have out back..it looked to me that irs is all contained in it's own subframe and that there is only four major contact mount points and the  pads for for the upper spring/bag seats.  The B-Body track is just under 59", so the track is money. i was thinking something like welding gusseted extensions off the Mopa'rs frame rails to meet the pads on the lincoln sub frame.  I've noticed that the trunk of the lincoln is shallow, so getting the right hieght may call for cutting into floors, but i'm doing subframe connectors and other added structure.  Distance between frame rails in back on dodge is approx 44"...have to measure width of subframe on matk, but if You said the lincoln is 53", may have to tie mounts in btween frame rails and rocker boxes, using their strength and running cross members full widthe between the mounts..  martz chassis gave me a ballpark for a weld in irs w 4 piston wilwoods and a 1" sway for 4200.00.  I can buy a whole 100k mile ,clean mark for 2500.00.  I want that engine...they remind me of Cosworths. i love small displacement V-8's, 281 ci.....according to weight spec i got, the engine is 450 lbs. fully dressed. A cast iron 318/360 is over 600 lbs..  Will cut a considerable amount of weight off the front wheels.
      Is that Your white wagon?  Really clean!  I have always liked tha style.  The insallation is choice...sleeper.  I thought it looked kinda like a lincoln.    Thankz...jim

10/05/2014 12:57 pm  #4

Took rough measurements of lincoln subframe mounting point....about 51"  bolt - bolt ahead of wheels & about 32".  behind .  The B-Body is 44" in between rails....so some creative triangulation, is called for, but i'm not intimidated yet.
  we have a 2ooK mile 94 Mk Vlll here that's already converted to dry spring.  The not so bright female owner didn't pull over when car overheated and She drove it till it quit.  No real compression, but no signs of blowby, no leakage, coolant still in system, no oil/water mix either in crankcase or radiator.  Car is a 7 clean, can grab it for 600.00.  Man, they have beautiful aluminum driveshafts.  An outfit took a 4.6 SOHC from a 94 Mustang, put an Edelbrock intake and a 650 on it, changed out the cams, and replaced the OEM engine management with an MSD unit and dynoed the motor @ 370 hp., which is pretty much the magic number for what i want....i only need enough to keep from lugging down when pitched sideways....don't want a hairball Speed Twelve.     question....does the camber remain constant during suspension travel on lincoln irs?   Sanddoc....i read some of Your posts.  Have You seen the white Galaxie wagon in here?  Sleeper!

Board footera