Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

7/16/2014 8:26 am  #1

Jag IRS keeping it simple

I'm hoping that someone with a good amount of experience with this can point me in the right direction.  I have a 57 Chevy Pickup truck and I'd like to throw the JAG IRS from a 1985 XJ 6 into it.  I'm currently in the process of dropping the parts out of the jag...it's been slow going because that thing is put together like a wrist watch.  All beside the point...

I understand there are several different ways of going about this installation.  I don't have the tools or the skills to fabricate mounts from scratch so I'd either be looking at buying something from Snow White (or another manufacturer) and then taking it to someone to work out the details...or keeping the jag cage and working with someone to modify my chassis to accept the jag suspension...which I think might be the best approach for the life of this truck with me.  Yes the cage is ugly, however; I'm hoping if I can mimick the jaguar mounting as closely as possible, when it comes time to service the brakes or anything else, it will be a matter of unbolting the whole shooting match and just dropping it out...which wouldn't be a possibility if I do a custom installation.

With that said, does anyone have any insight as to what would be involved with getting this thing working with the cage....any tips, tricks, things to look out for etc?

Thanks.

7/16/2014 9:50 am  #2

Re: Jag IRS keeping it simple

There is no reason why a custom mount cannot be a drop-out type.
I am putting Jag IRS into a '68 El Camino and it will be a custom mounted removeable set up.
Start with your frame width, compare to Jag, look at your ride height, wheel diameter, etc.
Even if you keep the cage there will be some custom mounting required.
Several threads here on doing this, I know the Jag into Chevy truck is popular so you may find a thread with you exact conversion.

At these prices I want my gas 100 octane, leaded, and my windshield washed!

7/16/2014 9:51 am  #3

Thanks for the reply.  I'm really just trying to make this as simple and as seamless as possible.  I figure if I do the cage, sure it might not be super attractive but I can always go back later and change things up if I ever get the desire to do so.

8/31/2014 11:02 am  #4

I got rid of the cage and made a custom mount. It too will drop out as a whole. The Snow White mount can be installed the same way. The advantage of having it out of the cage , other than looking 1000x better, is that now it's all open and easier to work on. I turned my bed into a tilt bed. For rear brake pad swaps, I will just lift the bed up, sit on my crossmember just ahead of the Jag IRS, and swap the pads. Will be much easier than dropping the cage and fooling with it that way. My Jag front suspension is also removable as a whole.

97' C5 Corvette, 46' International Harvester K3 Street Rod

46' International "Harvester of Sorrow" Build Thread
http://www.killbillet.com/showthread.php?t=24127

Board footera