Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

6/24/2014 7:29 am  #1

1957 Chevy Pickup Truck...

hey all.

A number of years ago (14 to be exact), I used money gifted to me and my wife following our wedding to buy a 1957 chevy pickup truck...which I subsequently tore apart, cursed, cursed some more and left sitting outside for the past 5+ years.

I always struggled with how to approach this project.  The stock suspension isn't want you want if you're dropping any sort of performance motor into the vehicle, yet...stepping up to a Mustang II suspension had a huge entry price ($1500+) and requires welding skills that I don't have.

As fate would have it, about 6 weeks ago some guy came poking around my house wanting to buy the truck.  The deal fell through but my 12 year old son was interested in working on the truck with me, which kind of lit a fire under my arse to actually do something with the truck.  I started doing some research and someone pointed me the the direction of the XJ6 Jaguar front and rear suspensions...

Again, fate intervening here and throwing me a bone by putting a 1985 Jaguar XJ6 on Craigslist down the road from me at a price that I could pull off...I drove the thing home last night.  I'm looking at stealing the front and rear suspension from this thing and grafting it onto the 57 chevy pickup.  My primary concern is the front suspension but since I have the rear, I might as well use that as well.

I'm probably going to be offloading this work onto a friend of mine who specializes in jaguars.  Just not sure if I should try to keep the stock cage or whether I should purchase a kit from Snow White LTD or something along those lines.

Any tips / insights etc. on this would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

7/16/2014 10:46 am  #2

Re: 1957 Chevy Pickup Truck...

I've always intended to put a Jag engine into a Chevy, just to make the world better balanced. 
'57 Chevy is lighter than the Jag, performance would be good.

At these prices I want my gas 100 octane, leaded, and my windshield washed!

Board footera