Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

5/24/2011 5:31 pm  #1

OK every one ring in. Here is the cliff notes on spring rate.

I have decided to run just one coil over.

stock Mustang springs are some where around 150
one OEM jag coil over is 200# and works, but is a little on the soft side
two OEM jag coil over would be double that of one 400# which is a little to stiff
I called www.mustangirs.com today and he runs 300# units on his IRS systems

As I said in the other thread on spring rate I took a look at the front spring rate for a coil over front suspension designed for a classic Mustang like the once TCP sells,  350# is a performance rate for these units.  Since the shock angle and wheel rate are similar to the IRS (just ball parking here)  I should be able to work backwards using the 60/40 weight ratio.
350/.6 =  584#
584 * .4 = 234#

so with all this info 200 min 400 max and 235 to 300 seams to be about right, SOOOOOO which one you use 225#, 250#, 275#, or 300# and most importantly WHY??

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

5/24/2011 6:41 pm  #2

Re: OK every one ring in. Here is the cliff notes on spring rate.

What ever rate you decide, I have heard to stay away from QA1's. Their rates vary quit a bit.

5/26/2011 12:52 pm  #3

well I ordered the 275 coil springs.  when them come in I well very gently install them and if they are two soft or two stiff I will make the adjustment accordingly.  I will let you know how it turns out.

5/27/2011 10:10 am  #4

I have tried two spring rates with the MGB (~2300 lbs). Started with a 200/220 spring rate which I let the seller talk me into. They were way too soft. Then I went to a 275 which was the one I wanted originally. It is just about right, could stand to be a little stiffer without hurting anything too. So for your Stang you might want a bit heavier than your 275's. Wish I'd spotted your post before you ordered, sorry.

JB

5/29/2011 6:24 am  #5

Jim Blackwood wrote:

I have tried two spring rates with the MGB (~2300 lbs). Started with a 200/220 spring rate which I let the seller talk me into. They were way too soft. Then I went to a 275 which was the one I wanted originally. It is just about right, could stand to be a little stiffer without hurting anything too. So for your Stang you might want a bit heavier than your 275's. Wish I'd spotted your post before you ordered, sorry.

JB

Thanks for the information.  Good news is the Mustang is not that much heavier than your MGB AND I will be mounting the shocks more vertical than the OEM design so the 275# rate will be stiffer than if I had mounted them in the stock location.  I would still love to see pix of your set up.

5/31/2011 10:29 am  #6

Here is a picture of Jim Blackwood's MGB Jag IRS: [img]MVC-208S  Enter album name here
VIEW SLIDE SHOW DOWNLOAD ALL

This album has 1 photo and will be available on SkyDrive until 8/29/2011.

Last edited by 260MGB (5/31/2011 10:37 am)

6/03/2011 7:01 pm  #7

Ralphy wrote:

What ever rate you decide, I have heard to stay away from QA1's. Their rates vary quit a bit.

you were right. 5 # difference between my two springs.  I will put the slightly stiffer one on the drivers side.  Not happy that they are different, but I can live with it.

Board footera