Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

2/03/2014 12:13 pm  #1

Info on lincoln rear swap to galaxie

Hi
Anyone have any info on swapping an IRS from a lincoln mark 8 to a 64 galaxie??

2/03/2014 1:35 pm  #2

Re: Info on lincoln rear swap to galaxie

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=607606

Greg

JEM on the H.A.M.B. wrote:

Ford's had a few different IRS designs, the MN12/FN10 Thunderbird/Lincoln Mark VIII you're referring to here, the '03-04 Mustang Cobra, the Lincoln LS, etc.

As for the MN12 setup, it's pretty wide, and quite bulky, and you need to pay attention to what parts you're getting (most V6 'Birds had a 7.5in diff and stinky drum brakes, the Thunderbird SCs had iron 8.8s and discs, the Lincolns had aluminum 8.8s with lousy 3.07 open diffs but had aluminum lower control arms and air bags where the 'Birds had cast-iron lower control arms...) and it's a Ford so almost everything was NLA'ed by Ford at least a decade ago, it always amazes me that you can get parts for 20-year-old BMWs with no trouble but any post-1980 Ford is always a disaster. 

Not entirely HAMB-able but if you insist...

'64 Country Sedan frame with modified MN12 Thunderbird SC subframe (the front legs had to be narrowed and lowered to mate up properly to the Galaxie frame, easy once I made the jig to do it, unlike some of the truck conversions I'm retaining the original rubber mounts), Mark VIII aluminum lower control arms, '02 Explorer 8.8 rear cover, fabricated rear diff mount with E39 BMW bushings, everything tacked for trial-fitting...

Subframe is bulky enough that there's bugger-all room for the stock gas tank here, I'm planning to do a fabricated aluminum tank under the driveshaft in front of the subframe similar to the MN12 'Bird and a lot of other late-model products. 

The 285/40-18 tires look pretty small once the car's back on its wheels, it's not all that low, 6 3/4in from ground to frame as it's set up here.  Note that the IRS is just about exactly 3in wider hub-to-hub than the stock Galaxie axle, necessitating some extra offset in the rear wheels.

2/05/2014 12:22 am  #3

I guess I haven't been around here lately.  

No time tonight, but yes I've been working on this, check some of my past threads around here and I'll try to comment more tomorrow sometime. 

John.

2/05/2014 4:52 am  #4

Cool thanks John
I was hopin to hear from a fellow country sedan fan

2/08/2014 9:12 pm  #5

John any info

3/29/2014 12:11 pm  #6

John
Any luck on posting on the galaxie IRS swap

3/29/2014 3:21 pm  #7

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

3/29/2014 7:33 pm  #8

Daze
Thanks!,,
Now that I have the mark viii coming apart I can see how to fit that in.
Especially with the Dohc motor

Board footera