Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

11/16/2013 5:30 pm  #1

Jag IRS Stub Axles with 5-bolt Mount and 30-Splines???

I'm overhauling my '86 Jag XJ Series III IRS with the Salisbury differential and would like to know if 30-spline stub axles with 5-bolt mounting plates exist for this era of differential case. I'm trying to install an Eaton Truetrac Dana 44 differential in my IRS.  My IRS is the 5-bolt stub axle mount with 19 spline stub axles. If not, does anyone have experience with the Auburn Dana 44 differentials vs stock Jag posi?  Thanks

Under Construction - 1986 XJ-6 Resto-Mod I call CATATAC. 4.6L Cobra V8, supercharged, T56,  smoothed body, etc.  

11/18/2013 8:34 am  #2

Re: Jag IRS Stub Axles with 5-bolt Mount and 30-Splines???

I would reach out to http://www.markwilliams.com/
They used to make 30 spline/4 bolt hardened chro moly stubs for the Jag IRS.  However, this is likely a $900 investment.  I'm sure they can or do make a 5 bolt.  If you want to go this route, their contact info is on the home page and ask for Travis.

Most of the Jag Posi units are a Dana 44 PowerLok.  Unless you're looking for a nine second quarter mile machine, I would expect the PowerLok to hold up.

11/18/2013 7:57 pm  #3

Thanks for the feedback, Radar. I'll check it out.

Under Construction - 1986 XJ-6 Resto-Mod I call CATATAC. 4.6L Cobra V8, supercharged, T56,  smoothed body, etc.  

1/08/2014 7:42 pm  #4

Hi I am new to the forum and am installing 1991 xjs rear in my 1929 ford roadster pickup and have a question during the rebuild of diff and axles I mucked up some of the threads on the outer flange mounting shaft which is exposed in middle of wheel flange and seams to be 3/4 in but don't know what thread is on this shaft want to get a die and chase both right and left shaft PLEASE respond if you can help. Steve  

1/09/2014 8:53 am  #5

I can't tell you the exact thread size but I can tell you being out of a 91 the threads should be metric.  From there it should not be to hard to get the threads you have measured at a local bolt shop to insure the correct tap and die.  Welcome to the forum.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

1/09/2014 11:29 am  #6

Hi I am new to the forum and am sure DAZE can help me! What is the size of thread on axle flange shaft and nut? nut is 1 1/8 socket size   but I need a die to clean up the shaft and replace old with new nuts. the threads were mucked up when shaft had to be pressed out of flange.and old nuts were also split to remove. 1991 Xjs rear diff. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE Steve.   

1/10/2014 10:29 am  #7

1929fordrpu wrote:

Hi I am new to the forum and am sure DAZE can help me! What is the size of thread on axle flange shaft and nut? nut is 1 1/8 socket size   but I need a die to clean up the shaft and replace old with new nuts. the threads were mucked up when shaft had to be pressed out of flange.and old nuts were also split to remove. 1991 Xjs rear diff. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE Steve.   

Can you post a pic?  I'm curious as to what you're seeing.
Thanks!

1/10/2014 10:49 am  #8

I don't have the ability to post pictures. what I see is the first few threads are damaged and all threads are rusty on the splined shaft that goes through the wheel flange just need to file and chase threads which are damaged but need thread size and pitch. I am also confused because these hubs from 1991 xjs had no brass spacer when dissambled did jaguar change how hubs are assembled in 1991? also I don't know if I am responding to the correct topic just recieved responce this morning from the sight and thought you might be able to help me. Thank you for any responce Steve       

Board footera