Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

5/23/2011 12:33 pm  #1

Wheel Adapaters

Just got a few questions regarding these.
Ive been on the hunt for some wheel adaters, but am not happy with what im seeing. None of the ones ive seen have a Hub centric spigot, Does anyone know of a supplier that makes some with this feature? Daze, I noticed yours do not have a centric either, are you concerned about this? whats your veiws? Did the adapters you purchased have ford 1/2 Studs? Im nearly at the point where i might get some made.

I also noticed the jag studs seem a little shrt and wimpy, im thinking i might remove them and replace with ford 1/2 studs to.

Just out of curiosity, do the factory studs thread in to the hub and peened over? if i was just to upgrade them (keep the same thread/bolt size), could i just grind off the peened end and unscrew them, and replace them with some grade 8 bolts? Or are wheel studs of a higher tensile strength than grade 8? I figured bolts would work well with locktite, seeing as ill be running wheel adapters they wont be coming off very often, Id just prefer them to be a little longer, and at least new with the wheel adapters.

thoughts?

Heres another reason there tricky to alter stud patterns (apart from the obvious hand brake issue)

Notice how the extra material is only around the studs. You would have to weld the holes and redrill i think

Last edited by KLR250 (5/23/2011 12:37 pm)

5/23/2011 4:45 pm  #2

Re: Wheel Adapaters

KLR250 wrote:

Just got a few questions regarding these.
Ive been on the hunt for some wheel adaters, but am not happy with what im seeing. None of the ones ive seen have a Hub centric spigot, Does anyone know of a supplier that makes some with this feature? Daze, I noticed yours do not have a centric either, are you concerned about this? whats your veiws? Did the adapters you purchased have ford 1/2 Studs? Im nearly at the point where i might get some made.

I really don't think it is that big of a deal.  On most sets of mag wheels the center hole is machined to clear a verity of applications and so there is no hub centric support at all. In the case of my wheel adapters they fit on to the Jag's hub centric rings but as you said there is nothing for the rim to fit over. The way my situation is currently set up the adapter will be correctly orientated on the hub and then from there I will rely on the five lugs to position my mags. I was a little disappointed with the studs on my adapters and will probably be changing them out for something a little heavier. 

KLR250 wrote:

Just out of curiosity, do the factory studs thread in to the hub and peened over? if i was just to upgrade them (keep the same thread/bolt size), could i just grind off the peened end and unscrew them, and replace them with some grade 8 bolts? Or are wheel studs of a higher tensile strength than grade 8? I figured bolts would work well with locktite, seeing as ill be running wheel adapters they wont be coming off very often, Id just prefer them to be a little longer, and at least new with the wheel adapters.

As to the 1/2" hub studs, they  are as you said... at least on the older cars... screwed in to the hub and then peened to lock them in place.  Even if you grind off the peened end they will still be extremely difficult to remove. they are solid 1/2" studs and are more than ample to hold things in place. They are a hardened steel of grade 8 or better and the way they came OEM is going to be stronger IMHO than a bolt and some lock tight.  as to their length if they were any longer they would have to be cut off.  in my case they are almost to long because they will hit the wheel if they stick out past the pattern changer.

KLR250 wrote:

Heres another reason there tricky to alter stud patterns (apart from the obvious hand brake issue) Notice how the extra material is only around the studs. You would have to weld the holes and redrill i think

yep seams like Jag went out of their way to make the hubs one pattern only

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

5/25/2011 2:08 pm  #3

Okay, been giving this a lot of thought, and wouldnt mind some opininions. Im think of taking the hubs to and engineering shop and getting the holes tig welded with appropriate filler rod, machined and redrilled for ford PCD. The rotors, Im thinking of getting the holes milled down from the originals to the ford PCD It would almost be like slotting them really. The disc is Hub centric, it cant really go anywhere, as long as the holes are done properly so the disc has no rotational movement on the studs i cant see anything wrong with doing it this way, or am i missing something? The other alternative for the discs is to buy them drilled to the fors PCD from the manufacturer, which apparently is an option for an additional charge, im yet to confirm this though.
I suppose the big questions are, will welding the holes in the hub weaken the hub, and if so will they need to be heat treated after this process....
I might be barking up the wrong tree

Ive considered changing my front stud pattern to GM, but Ive already purchased the 18" wheels, which are ford

Thoughts?

Last edited by KLR250 (5/25/2011 2:14 pm)

5/25/2011 9:34 pm  #4

that seams like a lot of hassle especially if the metal gets weakened on the hub.  If you are going to have that kind of machine time put in to it just have adapters made with the hub centrics.  Or what if you bought an aftermarket set of adaptors and then had an extra sleeve machines to be a snug fit in the adapter, that way you have the hub centrics on the adapter??  I still don't think you need them.  like I said before most mages have such large holes in the middle that if the axle has hub centrics it still does not contact the rims. thats just my opinion

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

5/26/2011 3:10 am  #5

I think your right there Daze. Great idea about the sleeve for spigot, thats the new plan, thanks very much.

Thats why i love this forum ;)

Ive never run wheels that dont locate on a spigot, Just never liked the idea of the studs supporrting everything

Board footera