Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

12/05/2013 7:51 pm  #1

how much power can a Jag diff take?

i have a mid 80s 2.88 jag rear in a 1927 ford hot rod thats powerd by a cummins diesel. its been doing fine for about 2 years under about 650hp and 1200lb/tq. i have the rear end out right now to do a few seals and add a bit of strength here and there. while i have it out i was considering swapping my 2.88 open diff for a 2.88 posi diff, but im unsure of how the posi unit would handle that kind of power. will it just explode?
im considering one of these 3 options....
-leave it alone as an open diff (not much fun)
-swap it for the posi unit (if it will handle the power)
-or weld up the open diff into a 'ghetto' spool (lots of fun, but worried about breaking stub axles and so on)

anyone with advise?
would someone be completely insane to weld up the spider gears to make a 'lincoln locker' and expect to not break axle shafts?

Last edited by turbo-minivan (12/05/2013 7:54 pm)

12/05/2013 7:59 pm  #2

Re: how much power can a Jag diff take?

12/05/2013 9:24 pm  #3

well lets not even entertain the question of welding the spider gears. i knew it was a bad idea to begin with but after a bit of you-tubing others who have done it on solid axles..... ya, it would tare one of these complicated IRS units to bits from the stress of steering. i deffinatly wont be doign that!

but i am still curiouse to know what people think of the posi and how it would fair under 1200lbs or torque compaired to the open diff that seems to be doing ok.

12/06/2013 1:51 pm  #4

The vehicle must hook up before the power you are producing will break any thing. Wheel hop will be a problem once you have a limited slip or a lincoln locker (lincoln welding machines) type spool.. The engine you have is quite heavy and long for the chassis you have it in.With all of that torque, I am surprised your frame hasnt twisted like a cork screw! Do you know how much your rat rod weighs? How much of that is on the rear wheels?. TORQUE is what breaks differentials. It is the number one cause of failure in rear ends that have been set up correctly for their application. Typically the ring gear looses a tooth or two from a shock load then the kinetic energy remaining distroys everything else. I have seen lots of 4x4's with d44's shear off all of the bolts retaining the ring gear. Thats the least harmful way I have personally seen d44  fail  to date. Then again the d44's only use 3/8 bolts for the ring gear. Jag uses 7/16.  However if you cannot get your rear tires to hook up, all of that torque just makes smoke. I have a 408 C stroker with c3 heads in a 67 mustang that is easly above 550hp on pump gas. The torque figure should be in the same range. I can get it to hook up with half throttle in first and wfo in second with ideal conditions.  I have yet to break anything but frame mounts. That failure was the result of wheel hop.. If you devolop wheel hop all bets are off. The results of wheel hop with high torque applications are well documented. Something always seems to  break. When I first installed my xj6 rear in my mustang I welded up the side and spider gears because with the torque I had on tap the open differential traction was a joke. I couldnt get it to hook at all. I had a limited slip, ring and pinion, seals and bearing kit coming from E-bay so I really didnt care about the jag guts. Weather or not you break anything with a spool is directly perportional to rear tire traction. The more weight, the larger od of the tire and the stickier the tires the greater the likely hood broken parts will result. I have made lots of Lincoln lockers for 9in rears as well as Subaru rear diff's for rally events. I never had a failure. I own a toyota Tacoma that sheared its pinion supporting the spiders in the middle of no where on Mt Hood. A friend had an alternator powered buzz box and thats what I used to weld up my side gears to the carrier. I filtered the gear oil through a tee shirt and re used it. The spiders were pulverized. I drove that rig for about three weeks that way with out failure. The ring gear had some chipped teeth so it did make noise.  The only reason I used it welded so long was the vehicle was my daily driver and the electric locker I ordered took that long to get here. 

Last edited by tyrellracing (12/06/2013 2:23 pm)

12/06/2013 3:47 pm  #5

That thing is Nasty in a Very cool way !  Got more pics ??

12/06/2013 4:48 pm  #6

Unless you're hooking and getting gobs of traction, you won't break.  With a 1,200'ish pound engine in that lightweight vehicle, I don't think you'd have that much traction w/o full on drag slicks and another 500 pounds of weight right over the axle.

Since it seems you have the center open, how do the teeth look?
If you're worried about the stub axles, Mark Williams Enterprises will make you a set of 30 spline, harden chro-moly stubs.  They run about $900 - $950.  They might do 19 spline as well, I don't know.  I can post contact information if you're interested.

BTW, thanks for upsetting tree huggers in Oregon! They are way too serious.

12/06/2013 6:32 pm  #7

thanks guys.
the ring and pinion look totaly fine. the spider gears look like thay are getting some wear.
the car weighs 3100lbs. heavy for a hot rod but 70% of that is up front. theres no concern of the frame twisting up. its all 2x3x1/4" steel. every joint is fish plated and braced like mad. the back end will break loose every time but every time it does, it points the car to the left and it scares me. id like to even up the back end grab/spin to hopefuly get it to go streight rather than always swing the back end out to the right. its about the scaryest thing you coud ever drive!!! ive taken a few guys for rides in it that are long time drag racers with 8 and 9 second cars of there own, and it has left every one of them with clattering knees.
its not a drag car so hooking up isnt a real goal, but a hot rod that only smokes one wheel just isnt a hot rod.
my main concern is even with the wheel spin, will the LSD center section risk getting blown to pieces any more than an open style would? or are thay about compairable as far as strength?
i know the weaker point is probly u-joints but im still interested to know if the LSD and open diff are about the same in strength.

12/06/2013 10:25 pm  #8

when the stub axles have been pulled from the diff and the carier bearing caps are removed, should the center section simply pop out or do i need to pry on it a bit? i have it all ready to come apart but im having a hard time getting the guts out of the diff housing. just wondering if im missing somthing.

12/06/2013 10:42 pm  #9

I must admit I have never seen a Jag broken internally. . I have my doubts about its ability to support over 1000lb/ft of torque. Thats going to require somthing better than the 19 spline stub axle's. They twist off way too easy to live through 1000lb/ft of torque pulling a 3100 lb vehicle. Thats only 300 lb less than my gt 350. The Jags weak link is the stub axles both inner and outer. Not the differential. The outer stub has a design flaw at the base of the threads that is notorious for failure. .  Digz:  I am in the process of rounding up all of the photos of my T5  and Jag IRS installs as well as a few of me at PIR durring test and tune day last year..This was just after I went to the 19x8 in front and the 19x11 in the rear. The 14 inch rotors were the main focas of the photos I took that day.  Most of them are in my laptop but I have some stray flash drives with more.  Small flash drives are a blessing and a curse at the same time. It sucks when they get missplaced.  OH BTW I am no tree hugger. I prefer my spotted owl served fried. I have more chain saws than a sane man would bother keeping.  They were a dime a dozen about 20 yrs ago so I scooped up what I could afford. Seriously.new 045 STIHL's $50 ea!.. LOL

12/06/2013 10:57 pm  #10

The way you said it swings to the right sounds normal but swinging way out isnt. Around here the roads all have a crown to them so most vehicles will drift a little to the right unless they are in the on comming lane. Did you check the rear alignment? Sounds like you have a bent lower control arm throwing off your toe or unequal camber thrust from side to side.Or the rear suspension was put in crooked.   I would start by checking the alignment and see what you find

Last edited by tyrellracing (12/06/2013 11:04 pm)

12/07/2013 5:59 am  #11

I fought my center section out with pry bars, but I "think" there is a tool used as a case spreader to help with that and the install. But yeah mine came apart tough to.

12/07/2013 9:03 am  #12

the rear could probly use some shimming. ill take a look at that when i put it all back together.

12/07/2013 12:58 pm  #13

while i have it apart i need to do the stub axle seals. what is a good affordable place to get a set of these? ive seen them from $40 a piece to $13 a piece. i would have assumed i could find them for $5 or so considering there just simple seals.
will E-type stub axles/seals be a difforent size than later axles/seals?

12/07/2013 3:17 pm  #14

I am sure some one here should know about the availabity of heavy duty stubs.. I am still using the 19spl.units. All of the older D44 diffs. used the same 19spl. axles and thats where I found my limited slip carrier. Modern D44's use a much improved design with a fine spline type axles. These are available on Jag stub axles on custom order only. I believe the spline count is 31 but I an not sure. The 19spl. side gears for limited slips are getting rare these days because they were concidered to be too weak when they were still being produced.  I too had problems getting the preloaded carrier in to the case. I just pried the stub axles out. There O rings are the only thing holding them in once the bolts are removed. The carrier requires some pry work to be removed as well. I dont even recal if the Jag case even has the holes for a case spreader. Does it? I know I didnt borrow one to put mine together so mine most likely doesnt have them. Any way cool project. Good luck. I wouldnt put a whole lot of faith in the stock Jag splines to support 1000lb/ft for very long. I am sure they would survive a pass or two down the 1/4,   but I would be tearing them out for inspection after that. Just my opinion. You are aware of how catastrophic the failure would be if a inner stub failed at speed.  Not a pretty picture!.As far as seals go, I just found a bearing and seal kit on e-bay. It came with shims too. You are right. the seals were nothing special so I am pretty sure the prices you posted have a substantial mark up. I like dealing with bearing distributors directly for seals. They tend to sell enough of them to not need to mark them up as high.

Last edited by tyrellracing (12/07/2013 3:43 pm)

12/07/2013 3:54 pm  #15

The more I look at your rig the more it gives me the impression that the natives must run for cover when you drive it into town. That thing is damn agressive in a form follows function kind of way.  To hell with pretty. This is how to make mountains of torque.   1100lb/ft!  so do you have a stump pulling business on the side?  LOL all in good humor.

12/07/2013 5:30 pm  #16

haha! ya, it gets some looks! and it has scared its share of ladies on the road. and if you follow me too close your going to eat coal for dinner for a few miles.
i have considerd how bad it would be if i broke an axle or somthing at speed. before its back on the road im going to build an upper controll arm type of fail safe brace. this way if somthing breaks the wheel dosnt just flop over like a dead fish and send me to my death.
the saving grace of this rig is that it will never ever hook up, and in the 2 years since i finished the car, ive been too scared to push it past 3/4 throttle. its seen 3/4 throttle twise for about a split second each time and otherwise only ever sees half throttle once in awhile. both times over 1/2 throttle was just to see what it would do, and it has so much more to give at those speeds that i shut it down right away. last summer i left a new laborghini in the dust from a 75mph highway roll with half throttle.... so you can see im scared of pushing it harder, i have a family.

12/08/2013 6:42 am  #17

A thread was started just yesterday at Club Cobra.

Custom Jag IRS strength?
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/124452-custom-jag-irs-strength-pics-inside.html

patrickt
"We've had a couple of members at the local club twist the stub axles off. If that rear has the plain old stock stubs, they won't hold up to your kind of horsepower with sticky tires."

lippy
"I have the Jag rear end with the standard strengthening ERA does on it. I've been told by ERA it can handle 500-600HP as long as I don't drive like an a-hole and launch really hard with drag/sticky tires."

mickmate
"There is the issue we've discussed about the top of the hub carrier having no for and aft support."

DougD
"Why even mess with an independent rear? If you want to drag race, put a 9-inch in there."

RICK LAKE
"If this rearend has 30 spline stub shafts and you watch the abuse, it will hold."

"1 thing missing is a carrier cap support cover. This has 2 clamps to support the carrier caps inside the center section. If you have a booster controller to not allow the banging problem to the drive train. I would go with this rearend."

"Last notes, what the ratio in the housing? If it's a 2.88, It will not last."

mickmates/Nicks Watts Link

http://actoncobra.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37&products_id=162

Testimonial

Watts Linkage

Tuesday 30 April, 2013

Nick, After years of talking about it, I finally added the Watts Link to my Contemporary. I should have done it years ago when I started talking about it. All of the shimmy in the rear end is gone. With the big FE there is a lot of torque and the car would run rough if I jumped on it hard. Now I jump and there is no sway, shimmy or rough running. It just goes. Good job Mate. Wasn't too difficult to install after we figured out what was different. Thanks for another great product.
DanTestimonial By: Dan Shinn

http://actoncobra.com/index.php?main_page=testimonials_manager&testimonials_id=7

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy (12/08/2013 7:29 am)

12/08/2013 10:07 am  #18

Just a curious question for you guys. With that double  frame LCA in Ralphys Cobra pics and the addition of a Watts link. Would that at least partially replace the need for a trailing arm ? Sorry for the thread hi-jack . Was just a quick thought.

12/08/2013 10:24 am  #19

YES! Completly!

Here's another builder.
http://www.cobraracing.com/

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy (12/08/2013 10:29 am)

12/08/2013 1:17 pm  #20

Another post with pics from three different cars.

Fullchat289's ERA

DCDoug's CSX

MdMan352's Contemporary

Ralphy

12/09/2013 8:35 am  #21

Those are horribly wonderful pics of twisted stubs!
Here is a link to Mark Williams (known for racing axles) and will make the 30 spline hardened Chro-Moly stubs:
http://www.markwilliams.com/

Their number is - 1-866-508-6394
Ask for Travis, tell him you're looking for the stubs they used to make for CWI. 

I know CWI sold them for 900 - 950.  When I had my rear apart to put the 30 spline LSD and Stubs in, they were the best shop in town to put it back together.

Good luck!

12/09/2013 12:55 pm  #22

Good work Ralphy. I knew they were a failure point from reading about it but the images you posted shows exactly what I was talking about with one glaring exception.  The rotory shear took place in an area that rendered its failure pretty much harmless. The bearing didnt seem to be damaged at all.. If the bearing remains intact and the carrier was an open type, it would behave like you put the transmission in neutral. With a limited slip you might have enough grip to keep moving but once you have stopped the posi will seldom have the grip to get you moving again  Most limited slips only have aprox. 100lb/ft required to break the clutches loose. They dont need much more than that because the difference in rear tire traction doesnt usually require it. Any one that has seen a "Z" spring posi and knows how minimal their preload is surly knows what I mean when I say "How could somthing that whimpy work"?  I have sheared an axle on 9" and with a over tight trac loc it wouldnt move under its own power once I came to rest . As for 2.88 gear sets they are much stronger than any ratio higher numerically. This is due to the number of teeth in contact. The higher you go numerically the lower the tooth count on the pinion. just by numbers alone you cannot have as many teeth contacting with a 7 tooth pinion as you can with a 12 tooth pinion. The changes occurr in steps, A 7 tooth pinion may be used on 4 different ratios, then an 8 tooth pinion will cover the next 4,ect. There are too many variations of tooth counts to be specific. Every different gear manufacturer has their own idea of whats best.   Bottom line when you get into the more aggressive ratios like 5.25's you will seldom have more than one or two teeth in mesh. 2.88 will have as many as 7 or 8 in mesh at any time. By tooth count alone the 2.88's come out ahead in strength however,. for practicality they come in last place no matter how strong they are. The problem with 2.88:1 gears is there are no factory installed manual transmissions with a low enough first gear ratio to work other than the T5 5 spd ford installed behind their 4 banger and its a pretty sad example of a T5.  Even automatics tend to struggle to pull that tall of a load. The 4+1 5spds w/o overdrive built by doug nash will perform fine with the 2.88 because they were designed to opperate that way.  They are now built by Richmond gear and are still available for a price.  So 303 Radar, You found the the stubs in 30 spline, Is that the factory D44 fine spline count for their axles? 30 is an uncommon spline count. 28, 31 are far more common.  Just curious.

12/09/2013 4:59 pm  #23

Tyrell - I would expect the 30 count to be a factory Dana 44 spline option.  I haven't done much research on Dana 44 spline options.  I can say from a Google/web search (including Randy's Ring & Pinion), 19 & 30 spline counts appeared often.  You're right this is peculiar because my S10 with the off road package has 28 splines with its LSD.  I wonder if 19 & 30 splines are PowerLok specific options for the Dana 44.  I have only seen PowerLok LSD in 19 & 30 splines.

I think I've seen the Richmond transmissions can be ordered with a 4.01'ish first gear.  This is a similar ratio to the first gear in the 6L80 &  6L90 gm transmisisons.

12/09/2013 8:32 pm  #24

Go back to my first post and find the original link. There's a picture post of all the parts one guy broke. Three difference types of half shafts.

Here, check post 18.
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/124452-custom-jag-irs-strength-pics-inside-2.html

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy (12/09/2013 8:39 pm)

12/10/2013 9:04 am  #25

Ralphy wrote:

Go back to my first post and find the original link. There's a picture post of all the parts one guy broke. Three difference types of half shafts.

Here, check post 18.
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/124452-custom-jag-irs-strength-pics-inside-2.html

Ralphy

Wow, I guess I can see lots of breakage with 750 hp, sticky tires, and a quarter mile monster!

12/11/2013 4:04 am  #26

303Radar wrote:

Ralphy wrote:

Here, check post 18.

Ralphy

Wow, I guess I can see lots of breakage with 750 hp, sticky tires, and a quarter mile monster!

He says that's on his 500 plus HP car.

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy (12/11/2013 4:05 am)

12/11/2013 8:52 am  #27

One thing to keep in mind is, I bet he was doing neutral drops from at 4000 RPM or more.  With 500 or 750, it is hard to do that kind of damage without dropping the clutch from a high RPM.
I would think most 1/4 mile times over 11 seconds (pulled from thin air) wouldn't have this kind of problem.
Or at least that's what I'm hoping from my build!

12/12/2013 7:10 am  #28

well in light of all this reading and proof, its only a matter of time untill mine blows up and sends me into another car.
im going to ditch my IRS and go ford 9" im thinking. ill save the IRS thing for another car thats more tame.

Board footera