Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

11/12/2013 5:38 am  #1

Jag IRS identification

I got a deal on a Jag IRS, but don,t know what year or model it is out of. I checked the part number on the shocks, but it fits anything from 1968 to 1993. Another spot I found said it was from a 1986 XJS. Any help would be great.

11/12/2013 8:52 am  #2

Re: Jag IRS identification

Can you post a pic of the back cover?  I think you're dealing with a Series II or Series III Jag.
Take a look at one of Daze's pages here:
http://home.bresnan.net/~dazed/JaguarIRS2.html
There is some good info on identification.
Also, you might have one or two tags on the back cover.  While these will likely indicate gear ratios, sometimes they are used to indicate years or vehicle application.
Sometimes there is a stamping on the tabs at the bottom on the rear, just below the cover.  See if you can get a pic of these.
This is pre 1986 for certain as the Lower Control Arms are not stamped/fabbed steel and you have two coil overs.  At least according to Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_independent_rear_suspension
What is the distance between wheel flanges?  If it is 54 inches, I'm sure you have a rear from an XKE (not very likely though).  Most likely, the distance is between 59 & 62 inches.  This indicates one of the XJ (6, 12) series.  If you have a posi unit, you likely have a rear from an XJ12.

If you take off a stub axle, (pretty major tear down with a complete unit) you'll see one of two bearing types, ball or roller bearing.  Having ball bearing stub axles indicates a Series 1 (68 - 72) unit.  Roller bearing indicates 72 - 86.

What is this going into?
Good luck!

11/12/2013 3:02 pm  #3

Thanks, I will take a look at the sites. Here are some more of the markings. I think that it is a 3:31 gear ratio with a posi. I have taken it apart, and it has roller bearings, not ball..

Last edited by mcmopar (11/12/2013 3:04 pm)

11/13/2013 5:15 am  #4

I have narrowed it down to a 74 to 79 XJS. If this sounds right let me know.

11/13/2013 8:54 am  #5

With the gear ratio, the 74, and roller bearings, I would bet you could narrow this down to an XJ12 possibly from the 74/75 model year.
However, that stamp isn't always indicative of year.  When you orders parts or kits, any knowledgable shop will be able get to you what you need if you state you have a Series II Jag IRS.
Double check your gears.  I have a tag like that on my but the gears were changed at some point from 3.31:1 to 3:54:1 not a big deal but important to verify.  I'm also willing to bet you have a posi unit.  This is another indication of an XJ12.  Jag used PowerLok posi unit which has a smooth engage/disengage.  I haven't heard of anyone with problems with these.  These are meant for street driving rather than 1/4 mile monsters and should last quite some time.
On the surface, this seems like a solid unit.

11/13/2013 3:47 pm  #6

Thanks 303radar, I will double check the gears while i have it apart. Is there a good spot for torque specs for this rearend? For the Ford 8.8 it has a additive for the posi lock unit, does the Jaguar have anything like this when filling the carrier?

11/13/2013 6:41 pm  #7

Thats kind of interesting that XKE rear ends can be identifyed by width alone. All of the XKE's I have ever seen had spline drive wheels. Or spoke wheels with knock off's.  They have no flange to measure from. They have a dust cover incorperated in the splined drive hub. Most of the track widths I have seen were from the center of the stock wheel, Not the mounting flange or the dust cover.  Primarily because the spline drive hubs have a taper behind the splines to center the wheel not a flange. Pin drive hubs will have a flange with pins that locate the wheel similar to studs but will employ the knock off system as well. Therefore the flanged type hubs from what I have seen cannot be XKE.  That would rule them out as far as a width dimention. The only way possible to have an XKE width and flanged hubs would have to be a result of combining parts from different models. I have yet to see any  XKE's with lug nuts holding on it's wheels.  The XKE was Jaguar's flag ship.      The flange on the splined hub is there to make a loose fit seal to keep dust out. It's OD is much smaller than the XJ6's wheel mounting flange and if you were to see them side by side, the distance from the flange to the bearing  is different.    XKE's dust cover is much closer to the bearing journel than the XJ6's wheel mounting flange.  That would make using the dust cover flange on a XKE for a track width,  a mistake The chart Daze provided clearly says TRACK WIDTH. Not distance between dust covers!  Pointing out that the splined hub has a  flange was a mistake as well. Thats a dust cover,  It has little to do with wheel location unless you know how much off set to add per side. Since the majority of those hubs were made before the CNC's we have today and the dust cover is not a critically located part there may be loose tollorances on their location.   Adding to the error of using them for a reference point.  The chart didnt add that.        This is the difference between getting all your information from the internet and having  hands on experience.   I may have forgot about the dust cover but I was correct with my statment as to measuring flange to flange width on an XKE. 

Last edited by tyrellracing (11/18/2013 1:16 am)

11/14/2013 9:03 am  #8

I'm just summerizing the info on the table which Daze has setup and my limited experience.  His table does show two measurements for an XKE (not sure how track width is defined in the table) both are more narrow than the XJ rears.
I'm sure there are better identification guides and guidelines.  Not having an XKE handy, I'm not sure what else to look at.  It does sound like there are obivious differences between the XKE and the XJ rears which I hadn't thought about.

11/14/2013 9:05 am  #9

mcmopar wrote:

Thanks 303radar, I will double check the gears while i have it apart. Is there a good spot for torque specs for this rearend? For the Ford 8.8 it has a additive for the posi lock unit, does the Jaguar have anything like this when filling the carrier?

Yes, there should be a specific fluid or additive for most any posi lock unit.  Not sure what it is off hand as I haven't re-filled mine since it has been rebuilt.  At least every posi unit I've had has used either an additive or a specific fluid.

11/14/2013 11:56 pm  #10

I wasnt trying to start a dispute. I have just seen a lot of XKE's and not a one of them had lug nuts. An observation more than anything else. I am not sure if daze used flange to flange dimentions or if he used track width's They are not the same and XKE's have no flanges. His numbers could be compairing apples to oranges for all I know. I recal that his XJ6 flange dimentions were correct but saw no point in going any further since I found what I needed.  As far as posi lubricant goes.. Anything with organic linings will need a friction modifier. The six states here in portland provides the ford brand friction modifier with every limited slip carrier they sell as part of the package.  They dont seem to care who made the carrier of what brand rear end it is going into.. They swear by the stuff.  I have had good luck with it in my Jag rear with a freshened up posi out of a jeep and International Harvester gears. I dont think brand plays as big of a roll as to the fluid you add to the gear oil in a limited slip differential. Its the type of lining that is used to provide friction that dictates additive type.

11/15/2013 2:31 am  #11

Sure looks to me a knockoff/splined does have a flange. How can it not?

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=744795&showall=1
Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy (11/15/2013 2:34 am)

11/15/2013 9:09 am  #12

Tyrell - I wasn't trying to start a dispute either, I was only trying to justify a limited knowledge set on my part.
Based on Ralphy's exploded diagram, I'd say it looks like the inner part of the hub serves to:
Hold the seal/bearing in place
Act as a flange/backing plate to keep the rim in place.
Perhaps this is where a measurement is taken from?

11/15/2013 9:33 am  #13

303Radar wrote:

mcmopar wrote:

Yes, there should be a specific fluid or additive for most any posi lock unit.  Not sure what it is off hand as I haven't re-filled mine since it has been rebuilt.  At least every posi unit I've had has used either an additive or a specific fluid.

Torque specs for which part(s)?  The only torque specs I've found came when I had my unit rebuilt - went from 19 spline to 30 spline.  And even then, they only apply to the ring gear.
Do a search on my posts, one of them posted a link to a shop manual which may have what you're looking for.

11/15/2013 9:15 pm  #14

I've never looked close at Jags setups but damn, a taper. If so, can the wheels seize to the hubs? No less there has to be a reference point/dimension for the width.
Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy (11/15/2013 9:50 pm)

11/17/2013 2:01 am  #15

Maybe this is new info for you Jag guys.

"Here's a few stats if you like the idea of a Jag rearend: The XKE IRS from '61-70 was 53 1/4 inches wide and came with either 3.54 or 3.31 ratios. The V-12 '70-74 models increased in track to 56 inches with a 3.31 gear. All XJ6 units were 61 3/4 inches wide with 3.54 gears in the Series I ('69-73), 3.31 in the Series II ('73-79), and a super cruiser 2.88 in the Series III ('79-88). The S-Type ('60-69) was 56 inches wide and equipped with anything from a 3.31 to a 4.54 ratio, while the XJ40 introduced in '88 had a completely different non-interchangeable IRS. All XJ-S units were 61 3/4 inches wide with the early versions having a 3.31 ratio and the latter cars a 2.88."

"Jaguar fitted stamped I.D. tags on the lower bolts on the crown wheel cover stating the gear ratio, sometimes with the actual ratio and other times with the number of ring-and-pinion teeth. For instance, a 3.31 ratio will be stamped 43/13 (the ratio calculated by dividing the smaller number into the larger). One other point of interest with Jag rears is that up to 1995 they shared the common 5-on-4 3/4-inch bolt pattern with Chevy passenger cars, going metric after that year."

Read more: http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/techarticles/0802rc_independent_rear_suspension/viewall.html#ixzz2ktLUQpfF

This must be what Day posted as track width.

http://irsforum.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=163

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy (11/17/2013 2:26 am)

11/17/2013 11:36 pm  #16

I still dont see where the chart shows  flange to flange dimentions and that was the basis of my comment.  My only mistake was forgetting that the Jag XKE hub incorperates a dust cover. The track width is center of wheel to center of wheel and is not always the same as flange to flange. The flange on the XKE hub plays no role in  the securing or locating of the wheel.  As I recal it makes no contact with the wheel what so ever because its role is to help keep dust out.   If the wheel were to contact the flange, the taper would be pointless.  Pretty simple concept. The wheel center  is where the dimentions on Ralphys chart are taken from to describe track width..  My point is, where is the connection between the dust cover flange on XKE's and the wheel center line?  I didnt see any connection between the track width and the flange location on Ralphy's chart?  There isn one! Nice information but it does not touch on the point I made originally. The XKE does not use a flange to locate the wheel. The track width has little to do with the distance between the two dust covers.  Any of you pulled a wheel off a XKE lately? The drawing does not show the contact points between the spoked wheel hub and and the splined drive hub. The taper allows the wheel to lock on center. Any competent machinist should understand how a taper is useful to locate tools on the spindle center. R8,cat40,50ect,ect.  Many europian sports cars from the 40's and 50's used spline drive with taper mounting system. This includes the AC 289 cobra. Infact all of the early AC sports cars powered by bristol engines used this system as well  . I have worked on many of the early AC cars so my experience is first hand,  rather than just something  looked up on the internet.  I would have thought our sudo cobra expert would have known about this feature  all of the 289 cobras came from the factory with. . They are not practical  for racing because brake heat  would expand the taper in the wheel. This can make the taper  tough to disengage during pit stops..    

Last edited by tyrellracing (11/18/2013 12:40 am)

11/18/2013 1:36 am  #17

Yes Ralphy you are right. The wheels often get stuck with spline drive wheels. If you had the oppertunity to work on older cobras you would know that you always greased the splines and taper to make wheel removal possible. They were a miserable SOB to remove if they had been sitting for years and rusted up. That was agrivated even further if they had been installed with out grease. The rust would make wheel removal near impossible with out a special puller. The fact they got stuck often made them fall out of favor with anyone that got a flat and couldnt change it. . Pit stops could loose a race if one wheel got stuck bad.  I have seen the result of a spoked AC wheel that wouldnt come off on the road side.  The owner took his lead hammer and beat his wheel to scrap to remove it.  All early Europian sports cars used this design. None of them used a flange to back up the wheel. They relied on the taper alone to resist the outer nuts loading.  That includes the AC COBRA   Ralphy

11/18/2013 2:31 am  #18

Tyrell I understand your point. When doing a mod, I guess a set of wheels would be in order to do the math. I also noticed gauling on some hubs in the pics I see. Wheels! What's the avilability of wheel styles?

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy (11/18/2013 2:38 am)

11/18/2013 8:37 am  #19

tyrellracing wrote:

Yes Ralphy you are right. The wheels often get stuck with spline drive wheels. If you had the oppertunity to work on older cobras you would know that you always greased the splines and taper to make wheel removal possible. They were a miserable SOB to remove if they had been sitting for years and rusted up. That was agrivated even further if they had been installed with out grease. The rust would make wheel removal near impossible with out a special puller. The fact they got stuck often made them fall out of favor with anyone that got a flat and couldnt change it. . Pit stops could loose a race if one wheel got stuck bad.  I have seen the result of a spoked AC wheel that wouldnt come off on the road side.  The owner took his lead hammer and beat his wheel to scrap to remove it.  All early Europian sports cars used this design. None of them used a flange to back up the wheel. They relied on the taper alone to resist the outer nuts loading.  That includes the AC COBRA   Ralphy

That has got to rank high on the sucks a lot meter!

11/18/2013 5:20 pm  #20

The intresting thing about the old spoke wheels with spline drive hubs. The taper was shallow almost like a morris taper so they got stuck easy. They also varied from wheel to wheel as to track width. The taper would over time erode or wear or perhaps expand. This allowed the wheel to migrate inward very slowly over time. Pin drives use a taper as well however the taper was closer to a Cat type tool holder.  This difference in angle prevented the wheels from ever getting stuck. The flange on pin drive hubs never contacts the wheel. They rely on the taper to support and center the back of the wheel when the knock off nut is torqued. The pins are typically rounded to ease the wheel installation. The fit between the pins and the wheel is looser than a sliding fit yet not sloppy. The amount the wheel can rotate is minimal
   . I agree with the sucks alot meter Ralphy.     Even with the special puller, the area on the wheel hub the puller contacted was small. In some cases the hub would bend and prevent the puller from working. I resorted to building a long slide hammer.with a small hook to grasp the wheel hub from its back side. This wasnt an elegant solution either because it would sometimes hook on the dust seal.  Using a torch to heat the hub was a quick way to ruin the temper in the spokes.  If that wasnt bad enough, every wheel that required the puller or the slide hammer for removal, had to be sent away for repair.  Any distortion of the wheel hub what so ever and there would be loose spokes.  For safety reasons we sent these wheels out and had the spokes checked and properly  tuned.  Lug nuts on stamped steel wheels dont look all that bad when you look at the bad old days.

Last edited by tyrellracing (11/18/2013 5:26 pm)

11/19/2013 5:24 am  #21

Thanks for all of your input. Now all I have to do is look for a good place to get rotors. Is there a place that has fair prices. Is it worth rebuilding the calaipers, or jest get new ones.

11/19/2013 8:04 am  #22

mcmopar wrote:

Thanks for all of your input. Now all I have to do is look for a good place to get rotors. Is there a place that has fair prices. Is it worth rebuilding the calaipers, or jest get new ones.

As long as your piston's are no corroded, it is worth rebuilding your calipers.
Here are some links for Rotors:
http://jaguaraxles.com/discs.htm
http://catalog.brakewarehouse.com/ShopByVehicle.epc?q=1970-JAGUAR-Xke-L6--4235cc--4.2l--2x1--Bbl-Brake/wheel--Bearing&yearid=1970%40%401970&makeid=37%40%40JAGUAR%40%40&modelid=1486%40%40XKE&engineid=15522@@L6-4235cc%204.2L%202x1%20BBL@@15522&subcatid=62@@Rear%20-%20Pads%2FShoes%2C%20Drums%2FRotors%20%26%20Kits&mode=PA

http://www.partstrain.com/store/details/Jaguar/XJ6/EBC/Brake_Disc/1987/E35GD239.html?source=productads

11/19/2013 11:20 pm  #23

I made mine. I  finished a pair of 14"x 1.25" front rotors and aluminum hats a few months ago.Let me back up a little bit. I have made 4, 14" rotors. The first pair I made out of 4130 because I could get the steel free at work. They warped BAD. Then I used the autoclave at work to heat cycle them in an effort to stress relieve them.Over about 20 days of lunches and after hours heating and air cooling.  I cycled them about a dozen times hoping this would solve the warping issues. This made them hard as hell and after retruing them. The 1.25" thick rotors wound up being 1.125" and then they warped in the first 30minutes of hard use. Having learned why they use cast iron for car rotors, I purchased some 15" dia.x 5" malliable cast iron bar stock and made another pair. They  have performed flawlessly so far and are on my car now. To cool them I simply drilled .75" holes radially every 8 degrees making 45 holes then used a long .375" end mill to make holes square. I didnt square the holes on the steel rotors. It was just too tough to work with to justify the effort. These opperations were done on my super spacer for ease of locating the holes. This makes the fins taper but they seem to work fine. This has made me wonder what kind of steel street bike rotors are made from.  I am in the middle of making 6 piston calipers. I didnt have any blocks of aluminum big enough so I am machining them out of steel. Heavier than I wanted them to be but they will flex less. At least thats what I keep telling my self. If nothing else they will make good practice. The piston sizes are 2", 1.875" and 1.75" from trailing to leading. I wanted to keep all of the pistons on the pad with out overhang so I planned on using 6" long brake pads. I machined the calipers to accept 6" pads and thought nothing of it.  I have been using green Polymatrix pads in the 4 piston calipers I currently have on the car because I like the compound and they are readily available. I got 90% of the six piston calipers done includung  SS pistons before I started looking for pads. I didnt think it would be a problem. If I couldnt find the exact size I would get bigger ones and mill them to size. I havent had much luck finding the compound I like in anything bigger than 5.875" long. Live and learn. I have found lots of organic truck pads but they would have to be milled both in size and thickness.  If this sounds like more effort than most sane people would be willing to invest in 14" rotors, you are probably right. I just hate  paying for anything I can make my self. Besides the only used 14"x1.25" rotors I found on E-bay were $495 a pair. they go way up from there if you want new. The cast iron cost me $110 and I wont admit how much time I have in the four of them.

11/20/2013 8:56 pm  #24

I have no problem building things, but I am not sure if you are bragging about building them or letting me know you can. If man made it so can I but there is no reason to reinvent the wheel. I also didnot ask if I could build them I asked where to buy them.

11/21/2013 2:24 am  #25

A lot of street bikes use stainless rotors as well as aircraft. High carbon steel is notorious for moving when going through heat cycles. If it were doable I'm sure an aftermarket company would have already done that.

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy (11/21/2013 2:46 am)

11/21/2013 9:02 am  #26

Thought I would post this here as well at the thread I started regarding XKE and XJ brakes.

So I was at Napa last night picking up an air filter when I asked them if they happen to have 1970 Jag XKE rear rotors on hand, I wanted to take a look at them.  So they pulled up info in the computer and said no, they are a special order.  I told the guy I was curious if the rear would fit an XJ6/12.  He pulled up the cross reference guide and low and behold, the XKE rear rotors are cross listed for at least Series I and Series II Jag.  I don't know about a Series III, they certainly won't fit the five bolt mounts.
In short good news, I can feel more confident about ordering the cross drilled rotors for an XKE.  However, before I place the order, I have one last item to confirm.  In their computer they had the measurements for the rotor, diameter, thickness, etc.  I plan on taking the existing replacement rotors I have with a metric ruler (all the sizes were metric in the computer) and double checking.  After I do that, I'll post how well the sizes match up. 
That is a benefit of going to a friendly parts store when they are not busy!

11/22/2013 2:12 am  #27

no bragging here.    If anything it was an admission of using the wrong material on my first pair of rotors because it was free.  free can be too expensive when you dont know the alloy.  The steel wasnt marked. these were drop off's from the band saw. My lathe is strong enough that they cut like butter. It wasnt until I began drilling them radially that I knew I had chosen poorly. The rotors were done with the exception of cooling holes so I chose to try them any way. Thats when I looked into what project the drop offs came from.I initially thought they were mild steel.   I do know how much high carbon steel moves from machining it due to internal stress. Nothing new there.  Since I had never heat cycled the stuff I had no idea just how much it will continue moving no matter how much it is heat cycled.  My calipers are not a floating type so they will not accept much run out. .030 max before its felt through the pedal.  I made the rotors because I went from 16's to 19 inch wheels on the vehicle when I installed a Griggs racing front suspension.  I mounted the suspension higher on the frame to keep the ride height where I wanted it while maintaining correct geometry with the 19's.  The change from 16's to 19"s made the larger diameter disks a requirement if I was to expect sufficient stopping power. I tucked the jag rear higher as well. My rear rims and tires completely fill the rear wheel wells.  I  ripped the rear mounts off the frame twice when the set up began to devolop wheel hop so I removed the T5 suspension. The wheels wouldnt have worked with it any way. I do have all of this documented with photos including readouts from a hunter laser alignment computer. I have been sitting on this as proof of my claims from previous arguments. But who cares about physical proof when we cam discuss all of the maybe's involved  Yes ralphy I was told  similar information on the stainless rotors from another source earlier today.  My bad I see I high jacked your posting but I felt I should at least fill in the blanks. On my Jag rear I used fox body mustang rotors with their centers removed so aluminum hats could be used. I put spacers in my calipers to accept the new width. I use mico lock on my front brakes for a parking brake. It also allows me to do power brake burnouts with out applying any rear brakes at all.  I dont care for solid rotors burried so deep under a car that their cooling is poor. My car has scoops with ducting for the rear brakes and it is barely sufficient to keep vented rotors cool. 

Last edited by tyrellracing (11/22/2013 2:34 am)

11/26/2013 2:19 pm  #28

No I wasnt trying to do much more than get back on the brake topic by explaining what I have been up to with my brakes. Ralphy has accused me of high jacking other peoples threads. I cannot deny that the time he mentioned it he was right.  I saw that I had done it again and simply felt some damage control was needed.   I am sorry for getting on a lost tangent and taking the thread away from its intended path and there fore away from topic of discussion. Jag rear disk brakes.   My bad 

Last edited by tyrellracing (11/26/2013 2:22 pm)

Board footera