Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

10/07/2011 9:25 am  #1

Building the bushings for the OEM leaf spring mounts

April 18, 2010, 10:52 pm Daze wrote:

These bushings will be welded to the front of my side support brackets and bolt up in the front leaf spring mounts. I was hoping to work on the IRS mounting structure for my Mustang all day Friday but setting up this forum that morning and putting new rims and tires on my Galaxie in the late afternoon, I didn't get as much done as I wanted. I was hoping to get the side brackets fully fabricated but only ended up with enough time to put the mounting bushings together.

To build the bushings I started with Mustang shackle bushings and some 1 & 5/8" mechanical tubing. I used my bench grinder to grind the domes off of the shackle bushings.

I machined the outer sleeve and inner sleeve to be a tight fit in the spring mount. The hole in the shackle bushings is 9/16" and the inner tube is 5/8" so by pressing the inner tube in to the bushing it expands making it a tight fit in the outer sleeve.

I am really pleased with the final install. they fit tight and once the tubes are welded to the end of the side bracket I will have a solid front mount.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

7/26/2013 9:05 am  #2

Re: Building the bushings for the OEM leaf spring mounts

These bushings have been holding up the rear half of my car for almost 3 years and they still are working fantastically.

7/29/2013 7:20 am  #3

Did you use any grease or other substance to prevent squeaking?

7/29/2013 8:03 pm  #4

When those kinds of bushings are used in spring then need to be greased because they rotate but in this case there is no rotation so there is no need to grease the bushings.

Board footera