Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

7/05/2013 5:00 pm  #1

Axle Spline vendor

Does anyone have a good source of a shop that will cut splines for narrowing a Ford 8.8 IRS.  DriveShaft Shop wants $600 for a complete set and that seems a little high.

Cutting splines into a 1.25" diameter bar and heat treating can't be that expensive.

?
Paul

7/07/2013 3:37 am  #2

Re: Axle Spline vendor

It's typically not just the work in the cost for machine work. Most shops assign a dollar value per hour per machines used. Then some may also take advantage of the uniqueness of the work performed, most times, one offs mean $$$.

Ralphy

7/08/2013 7:40 am  #3

$600 doesn't seem too bad.  I paid $900 for heat treated chro-moly axle stubs with 30 splines for a Jag IRS.
Lots of shops will charge for a unique item because they have a lot of setup time involved and they cannot spread that time across multiple products.  If you have time to wait, see if they'll spread that charge across more than one product if they get more than one order.

7/08/2013 8:07 pm  #4

I was only making a comment about the price, the real reason for my post was to locate a shop that will cut the inner axle splines and harden the shaft - one that others have found to be reasonably priced and quality work

Thanks

Paul

Board footera