Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

3/26/2013 8:00 am  #1

Extra Jag Parts - What to do

Over the past couple of years I've been accumulating parts for my Series 1 Jag IRS.  The parts I have duplicate are:
30 spline PowerLock posi - rebuilt, 3/8 holes for ring gear
30 spline stub axles - brand new, hardened chrome moly
19 spline PowerLock posi - already in the center section, good/great condition.  7/16 holes for ring gear
19 spline stub axles - already in the center section, good/great condition.

When I rebuild the engine, I'm going to punch out the 348 to a 434.  While I'm shooting for 400'ish hp initially, I'd like to give it forced induction.  Even without forced induction, this should have gobs of torque on the low RPM range.  Just my idea of fun, a '59 El Camino that can sh*t & get.

While I don't have a problem drilling out the 30 PowerLock to mount 7/16 holes in the ring gear, I don't know if there is a market for the 19 spline parts I have.  I believe the 19 spline parts should hold up to most anything since I won't be a serious drag car.

I guess my question should be, is there a market/interest for the 19 spline parts?  Or would I be better off trying to sell the 30 spline parts?
Thanks!

3/26/2013 8:41 pm  #2

Re: Extra Jag Parts - What to do

Most of us running Jag rears are using 19 spline parts so I really don't think there should be much issue getting someone to buy them.  If you cant get an IRS guy to buy them there should be people in the Jag market who would scoop them up.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

3/29/2013 11:48 am  #3

What exactly do you have? I have an 87' XJ6 front and rear I'm putting in my 46' Harvester rod I'm building. It's got the crappy 2.88 gears in it. I want to go with the 3.55's or similar with the power-loc/posi. Is this what you are selling?

97' C5 Corvette, 46' International Harvester K3 Street Rod

46' International "Harvester of Sorrow" Build Thread
http://www.killbillet.com/showthread.php?t=24127

4/01/2013 8:41 am  #4

Iron - In short, the power lock posi and stub axles, both 19 spline.  I wasn't thinking of selling the gears but if you're interested in the gears as well, my mind can be changed.  This way I won't have to drill out my 30 spline carrier.

The timeframe will sometime late May/early June.
Later this week I'll post a pic if you'd like with everything in the center section. 
Currently everything is put together for measurements but later this month I'm going to have a shop mount the IRS, just need money from the IRS

After that, I'll get the frame and other parts powder coated.  Before powder coating is when I'll take the unit apart.
The center section appears to be a from a Series 1 (pre 71/72). 

Let me know what other information you'd like.

4/16/2013 7:48 am  #5

Apologies for not getting this uploaded sooner.  I had everything mocked up and the cover was on.  Here is a pic of the PowerLock posi unit that I plan to sell:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I can take out the stub axles and take a photo of them as well.  One thing to note regarding the posi itself, the bolt holes for the ring gear are 7/16th not 3/8th.  If there wasn't so much glare from the flash, you'd be able to see the ring gear is marked 46/13, which indicates a ratio of 3.54:1

Let me know if there are any questions,
Ragan

Last edited by 303Radar (4/16/2013 7:49 am)

4/22/2013 10:32 am  #6

I don't know much about differentials. Has the the bolt size been changed, is that why you brought it up? I have a series 3 IRS out of an 86' XJ6. Will it install into my center section? Or are you selling the entire diff? I assume mine is 19 spline as well?
I'm simply looking for an afforable way to get a more suitable gear ratio for my build. I am running a small journal 327 mated to a 700R4 overdrive trans. the 2.88's I have now are not gonna work for a street rod! The 3.54's I think might be perfect.
If you or anyone else in the know can tell me if this setup will be an easy swap, then hopefully we can make a deal. I'm in no rush so just stay in touch. I can give you my cell if that's easier. Randy.....

4/22/2013 12:02 pm  #7

I don't know a lot about diffs either, but the couple of things I know, I will bring up when important.

I bring up the bolt hole size as a subtle but important difference.  As I understand it, the main/only difference between the Dana 44 and Salisbury gears and carrier is the bolt hole size.  Dana 44 is 3/8ths and the Salisbury is 7/16th.  Having checked, I know these are 7/16th.  Drilling out the carrier isn't a big deal.  However, there isn't a way to un-drill.  I've heard a sleeve can be made and placed in the carrier but haven't heard of anyone willing to drill and tap the ring gear.

I am looking to sell the carrier and can sell with the ring and pinion gear together.  The stub axles are also for sale, bundled or seperate.  In my Series 1 Jag rear (68 - 72'ish), the stub axles are held in place with a few bolts (5 or 6) and is easily removed and replaced.

Iron - I would expect your current stub axles and carrier to be 19 spline.  30 spline is a rare setup.  With the overdrive aspect (0.7:1) of the 700R4, I imagine you'll feel bogged down any time you're in over-drive.  Same with the steep transition from first (3.06:1) to second (1.67:1), you'll feel bogged down.  I would expect this to a straight forward swap.  If you are looking to do the swap yourself, be prepared to be patient with setting the depth of the input pinion.  It can take some time for someone without experience, say half to a full day.  My plan is to have a local shop do the work because of setting the pinion depth.  An experienced shop should be able to do this in 2 - 3 hours.  4 tops.

Since neither of of are in a hurry, we can stay in touch here.  I will PM my cell in case this thread drops off.
Ragan

4/23/2013 12:21 am  #8

Are you saying you think I would bog with the 3.54's? I know I will with my 2.88's but think 3.54's would be fine. I had been planning on 3.73's if I was gonna go aftermarket on the gears.
I've planned all along to have a local shop swap the gears for me and replace and bearings and seals at the same time. I plan on having it done when I pull the suspension apart to rebuild and paint it.

4/23/2013 9:26 am  #9

No, meant you'd bog with 2.88s.  3.54's should be a good/great combo.  Myself, I'm torn between 3.31 and 3.54.  I'll have a torque monter engine, taking my 348 to a 434, eventually adding forced induction.
I'm not worried about bogging down.

4/24/2013 10:05 am  #10

Haha. I would think not!  Well, pm me when you are ready to part with it. I check this site every few days or so. Are you planning to pull the gears or just sell the whole center section? I assume you will just pull the guts to sell. Just let me know, hopefully we can make a deal. Randy....

6/11/2013 2:13 pm  #11

Iron - You have a PM.

Board footera