Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

5/05/2013 6:07 pm  #1

Fabricating an IRS for my trike

I am currently building a trike motorcycle from the ground up. It is powered by a transversley mounted Honda CBR1000rr engine, seats one person, and has two wheels in the back, and one up front. I am using a Yamaha Grizzly differential, cv joints,and drive shafts. My question is: Is it possible to set up an IRS on it (or any vehicle) if the differential is offset to right, and not centered?  I only have 30" of rear track, and the differential would be offset about 6" to the right (so it will line up with the output shaft on the engine). I am running 22" tall tires, and have 6" of ground clearance. I know that setting it up like this obviously will increase the angle of the right cv joint, and shaft (versus the left side).....but will it work, especially considering I have three wheels, instead of four. Any help, ideas, or suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thank you.

5/06/2013 6:09 am  #2

Re: Fabricating an IRS for my trike

I'm assuming your talking about the pinion being off center, if so, yes. Just make sure both universal joints are the same angle on the driveshaft.

Ralphy

5/06/2013 8:46 am  #3

Re: Fabricating an IRS for my trike

Thank you for the answer. That is what I needed to know. Yes, I was refering to the pinion, when I said differential. 
                      Bgt2u

Board footera