Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

4/10/2013 5:21 pm  #1

Who'd'ave thunk it, Fast and Loud is good for something other than...

mindless entertainment.  I keep watching the show and there are parts I like and parts I think are stupid, but ultimately it helped me with a project.

About two years ago I was taking the side brackets off of a Jaguar differential and one of the mounting bolts broke off in the differential housing.  At the time I tried to weld a nut to the broken off stud, and put a wrench to it, but it twisted off so I didn't try again.  Anyway the screw up went from bad to worse because I drilled a hole in the bolt with the intent of using an "easy out" and then managed to snap off the easy out in the hole SOOOO needless to say it never got fixed and sat there in my garage for a couple of years.  

Fast forward to yesterday, I was watching an episode of Fast and loud I had DVR(ed) and they had the same problem (only on a corvette differential).  The guy on the show did what I had done several years ago and welded a nut to the stud, and like me his first attempt twisted off.  Unlike me he kept trying and switched from a standard wrench to an impact wrench.  On try 4 or 5 the bolt finally came out.  Makes sense all the impacts before each twist off helped loosen the threads and each time he welded on a new nut he pored more heat in to the broken bolt also helping loosen the threads.

Armed with the concept of perseverance, AND an impact wrench I went out today and made a second attempt to remove the broken bolt.  On the sixth try it came loose with out twisting off the nut.  Fantastic technique!!!

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

4/10/2013 5:36 pm  #2

Re: Who'd'ave thunk it, Fast and Loud is good for something other than...

Nothing like the sweet smell of sucess.
Yeah and Alloy Ash is HOT!

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy (4/10/2013 6:05 pm)

4/10/2013 11:40 pm  #3

I ran into the same thing on mine, bracket bolt. I tried all kinds of heat with an easy out , even tried the welding the nut on thing a couple times. Maybe a I should have tried more because it was a real pain jigging it up in the mill to bore the hole out.

4/12/2013 12:14 am  #4

I ran into the same factor on my own, segment secure. I tried all types of warm with an simple out , even tried the welding the nut on factor a several periods.. . . .

"""Surfers Rent A Car
http://www.surfersrentacar.com.au/
2/11 Northview Street Mermaid Waters Gold Coast QLD 4218
Phone: (07) 5572 0600"""
Cheap Car Hire Brisbane

Last edited by JimpetRICia (4/12/2013 11:40 pm)

Board footera