Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

1/10/2013 8:35 am  #1

Thanks to all you guys, especially IRStang

Hey, guys...

Well, yesterday afternoon at 5:45, I  mounted the tires and let my baby down on the ground. Of course, I was more than excited, anticipating the first time I could jump up and down on the frame to experience the lovely bounce of my Jag install.

Special thanks goes to Curt Hamilton and the guys at Snow White in securing the parts that I chose to incorporate into my build. It all turned out perfectly as I had anticipated.

The picture albums are on Photobucket. Recently they redesigned the website format which I don't especially like, but you should be able to "switch back" to the old format, so that you can read the descriptions without an additional mouse click.

The first link here takes you to the "Jag rebuild" sub-album, which mainly has only pictures related to the Jag, while the other sub-albums are applicable to the other chores in the build.

The second link is the main link to the 'parent' album.

Enjoy.

http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c231/PaulGerdes/49%20Ford%20Coupe%20Start%20Mid%20May%202011/Rebuilding%20the%20JAGUAR%20rear%20end/

http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c231/PaulGerdes/49%20Ford%20Coupe%20Start%20Mid%20May%202011/

1/11/2013 10:22 am  #2

Re: Thanks to all you guys, especially IRStang

Thank You!

For being a member and posting.

Ralphy

1/14/2013 3:52 pm  #3

And thanks to you, too Ralphy... I forgot that you had answered some of my dumb questions...ahahah

1/15/2013 8:48 am  #4

um...... PICTURES!!!!!  please share some pictures of the final install  

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

1/15/2013 10:42 am  #5

1/16/2013 5:13 pm  #6

Just posted a couple of more pictures and a short video...
[url=http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c231/PaulGerdes/49%20Ford%20Coupe%20Start%20Mid%20May%202011/Rebuilding%20the%20JAGUAR%20rear%20end/?action=view&current=DSC01456.jpg#!oZZ46QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs28.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fc231%2FPaulGerdes%2F49%2520Ford%2520Coupe%2520Start%2520Mid%2520May%25202011%2FRebuilding%2520the%2520JAGUAR%2520rear%2520end%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3DDSC01456.jpg]link[/url]

1/16/2013 9:53 pm  #7

Looks really good. Reminded me also I will be needing to get some bump stops.

1/18/2013 8:37 am  #8

do you notice any bind with the front trailing arm mount being angled??  what kind of bushings did you use in the trailing arms??

1/18/2013 9:01 am  #9

Thanks, Daze...

No, there is absolutely no binding.Keep in mind that the angular rotation about the centerline is a relatively small angle. As a matter of fact, I thought the same thing about the configuration However, when I would mount the "frame end" of the arms to the bracket, I could move the LCA end around quite easily, a couple of inches in any direction. There is enough flexiblity in the bushings to have negligible effect on the forces required to move the LCA up and down. Did you see the short video of the bump stop design?

All the bushings and arms came from Snow White. I will be posting more pics in the next couple of days showing how I cut out part of the old sheetmetal housing for additional LCA, rear pivot support.

Thanks for checking my "stuff" out !!!.

1/28/2013 9:57 am  #10

Hey, Daze.. 

I just read through your posting "Here it is!!! my much awaited solution to the pinion angle vs. suspension angle issue" and it appears that the XKE pivot bracket may be just what I need to help correct my problem with the tilt of my center section. My problem is that I put an S-10 front clip on the frame, and zee'd it about 3-1/2", causing the front engine mounts to be quite high relative to the '49 Ford frame. So with the front mounts being high, after I set an old block and transmission in place, I'm having difficulty with getting the angles to work out with the Jag since it's already installed. 

I'll be visiting with a driveshaft guy later today to see about having a double Cardan driveshaft fabricated. Of course, I can still move the engine angle around some more, but as it is now, it's at 7 degrees down and the rear end is 2 to 3 degrees down now, making 9 degrees, which isn't good. 

Question is, I didn't see any discussion about the following: If one uses the XKE pivots, and wants to "not have to remove and re-weld" the "thrust rods" so that the centerline of the pivot points stays at the same place, it seems I would have to shim the rear of the center section to tilt it up too, at the same angle. Am I thinkin' correct here?

Thanks in advance
http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c231/PaulGerdes/49%20Ford%20Coupe%20Start%20Mid%20May%202011/Prepping%20for%20Engine%20Install/?action=view&current=DSC01483.jpg

1/28/2013 5:30 pm  #11

correct.  by angling the wishbine mounts in relation to the differential I was able to change the mounting angle of the differential to be almost parallel with the transmission angle.

1/29/2013 12:35 am  #12

Looks really good.

3/30/2013 6:12 am  #13

Beautiful install.  The credit and bragging rights are all yours.  All I did was offer some encouragement. 

I have had a rough six months battling cancer of the tongue.  Looks like the main battle is won and I am recovering from the effects of chemo and radiation therapy.  Needless to say, the '65 Mustang Jag IRS project is on hold.  Time to get back to enjoying the forum.

How did your tire clearance to fender issue work out?  I know you were concerned about removing and replacing a wheel.

"'Cars are like primates. They need to squat to go.'—Carroll Smith"

3/31/2013 5:04 am  #14

So now I understand why you vanished after your email. Hope everything goes well irstang.Keep the shiny side up!

Ralphy

4/01/2013 8:55 am  #15

irstang, I had wondered where you had been.  Sorry to here you had a rough go of it, but really glad to here the outcome is good news.  Welcome back!!!

Board footera