Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

2/22/2013 7:26 am  #1

Pinion angle and trailing arm angle?

I got the rear end (84 C-4 Dana 36 ) Does anybody know the pinion angle, and the trailing arm angle for the C-4. The Chevy Corvette shop manual from the local dealer didn't have the info. There is nobody  local that I know of that has a C-4, If they did I could measure and get what I need. I need these measurements to jig up the rear end and build the frame to fit it. I have a 64 Vette rear end (put in the mid 70's )  in my 30 Model A Coupe. But that is a whole different ballgame. There will probably be more question as time goes by, Thanks, Steve

Never, never kick a fresh turd on a hot day

2/22/2013 8:52 am  #2

Re: Pinion angle and trailing arm angle?

I can't comment on the Trailing Arms angle but would think as long as there is not bind, you'll be fine.
The pinion angle though should be the same angle as your transmission.  Here is a link to a prior posting showing transmission and pinion angles:
http://irsforum.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=406

I won't go into the physics, but suffice to say, have both at the same angle reduces bind and U Joint wear.

2/22/2013 4:44 pm  #3

As far as the pinion, it needs to match angles at the trans and driveshaft.

The upper trailing link is at zero degrees and the lower is app. 3 to 6 degrees upward to the front. The angles are for anti-squat and dive. hink of your front suspension flipped upside down. Now also you do not have to match the trailing link angles depending on app.

Oh! The lower is 10 degrees.

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy (2/22/2013 4:49 pm)

2/22/2013 8:49 pm  #4

Thanks, Ralphy.  I understand the pinion angles  on a solid rear  axel / transmission set up. But I wasn't sure if it was the same on an independent rear end.  The trailing arms arms are set to a certain angle from the factory for a reason and wanted to duplicate them. It is easier to make sure they are right when i build the frame than change it later. Thanks, Steve

2/23/2013 4:43 am  #5

There are aftermarket parts that widen the front mounting points of the trailing links. Also parts to lower/shorten the camber links inner point at the differential. This reduces the camber curve and changes the roll center a bit. These parts are used for performance configurations. Me thinks the thought under performance confiuration is to have parallel trailing links with app. 1" to 2" drop per foot of length.

http://dougrippie.com/category/products/corvette-1984-1996/suspension-c4-corvette-1984-1996-products/

http://www.corvettefever.com/techarticles/corp_1001_c4_suspension_rebuild/photo_06.html

Also do you know and understand the C4 has roll steer? The toe rod behind the halfshaft being longer than the HS moves in a larger arc than the halfshaft. So during any suspension motion the rear tire slightly toes in. This reduces over steer so if a person were to goose the throttle in a turn, hopefully you won't lose control.

Doug Rippie

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy (2/23/2013 5:26 am)

2/23/2013 4:45 am  #6

Steve -
You might want to check out the post over here:
http://irsforum.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=260

for some bits and pieces - if you haven't already. The brackets for the panhard bar can be useful in building that 4-link and provide some adjustment as well.

Cheers - Jim

UNDERCONSTRUCTION! Highly Modified C3 Corvette
         Dual Wishbone IRS w Subframe + Custom Uprights

2/23/2013 5:22 am  #7

Steve I have the link Phantomjock posted about at the bottom of all my posts. PJ did such a good job I thought it would be useful to keep it as accessible as possible.

Ralphy

2/23/2013 8:23 am  #8

After checking out Doug Rippe Motorsports, I'm definetly going to talk to him.. He is also a Minnesota boy . Thanks again for the info and leads. I think I'm on the right track. Steve

Board footera