Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

2/10/2013 4:47 pm  #1

vette rear end widths

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I'm starting to build a 53 Studebaker  Starlight 2 door Champion coupe for Barb.( her dream car) I'm going to make an all round tube frame with a vette front and rear suspension with a tuned port chevy and auto trans. I'm looking to find the width of the vette rear end. The stock Studebaker is 58 1/2 wheel flange to wheel flange .Also any year better than others?  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Steve

Never, never kick a fresh turd on a hot day

2/11/2013 3:17 am  #2

Re: vette rear end widths

Steve - Welcome aboard!
Sounds like a real neat project and sure she will enjoy the added handeling you'll guve the old Starlight.

Whhich type of vette rear end?  I assum,e either a C4 with Batwing  and four bars - Ralphy can help there i bet.  Or are you looking at a dual wishbone C5/6 set up? Any specifics you can add for the "width" you are looking for?  Mounting points - overall track for planning the chassis? Differential width?

BTW If you choose to make new half shafts for a C4 - or CVs for the c5/6, you would not be limited to the "stock" widths or mounting points except for the Batwing on the C4 I'd think.  A lot of options there.

Cheers - Jim 

UNDERCONSTRUCTION! Highly Modified C3 Corvette
         Dual Wishbone IRS w Subframe + Custom Uprights

2/11/2013 5:33 pm  #3

OK,

So I have a C3 rear, but this doesn't make me knowledgeable on Vette IRS widths. LOL! Anyhow here's something I found on C4's and my guess is C4 width is what's wanted. Since this is probably the Corvette IRS of choice today.

Which brings up the width issue. An ’84 to ’89 C4 rear axle is 62.5 inches from tire-mount surface to tire-mount surface. The ’90 to ’96 axles are ¾-inch wider. Many fat-fender and shoebox cars can easily accommodate this girth with no resizing of the framerails or the rearend itself. But try to put that same rearend under a ’32 or similar-sized hot rod and your rear tires may stick out like jug ears.
Read more: http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/techarticles/1984_chevrolet_corvette_independent_rear_suspension/viewall.html#ixzz2KdkfEHpd

The way I read it, the 90 to 96 is 1 1/2" wider.

A half inch narrower in this image.

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy (2/11/2013 5:42 pm)

2/12/2013 9:01 am  #4

sfm1951, I know little to nothing about Corvette IRS units but I do know you have come to the right place.  Welcome to the forum.  Got any pictures of your project??

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

2/12/2013 3:27 pm  #5

Steve,
I'll also add a bit more. My C3 has been narrowed app. 1". I've read more than once, a C4 is hard to narrow. Why, I'm not sure but it's been done. I also know C3's also came in two widths, with minimum difference. The widths I'm not sure, I can't measure mine I have it apart. Also again mine has been narrowed. C3's are fairly narrower than 4's how I know is that any Cobra kit cars as mine will not have deep dish wheels with a C4. I have very deep dish, my guess the difference between the two is app. 6 to 8 inches. The C3 is iron, C4 aluminimiumb. The C4 Dana 44 is most likely the carrier of choice.

If you opted for the C3, Speedway Motors sells 2 types of aluminum diff covers. Mountings are at different angles. One above and one to the front.

Good Luck
Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy (2/12/2013 6:27 pm)

2/13/2013 7:26 am  #6

I want to stay away  from the  newer rear end because of the torque tube, and extra cost factor.  I plan on building the frame to fit the rear end.I want jig the rear up where it will sit and go from there. The C-4 will probably be the way to go. I want to keep the wheels in the fender wells. If I have to mini tub it, that would be alright too. I want to go with wider tires but not steamrollers.( gotta have room to take the grand kids to the Dari Quuen) My boys used to race dirt modifieds and we built the whole cars , frames,( built on a chassis table) rollcages and the bodies. So the frame shouldn't be that bad to do .I also have a full sheet metal shop with a pullmax and english wheel .lathe and a milling machine. My youngest has a body shop in the making in the other half of the garage ( 54X99) So any more info on the widths and pro or cons will be appreciated.Thanks again, Steve

2/13/2013 7:34 am  #7

Forgot to add that I'm planning to build the Stude to the same weight percentages as a new vette I want to try for the same front, rear, cross, side weights. So Hopefully Barb will have a fun ,well handling toy. .She has been know to smoke the rear tires  The grandkids will be impressed. Steve

2/13/2013 1:36 pm  #8

With the wider C4 than stock width. I'm not sure how far inward you can go with your wheels. You'll have a space war between the tires and trailing links. Measure twice cut once!

Ralphy

2/13/2013 3:44 pm  #9

Raphly, What is the width of the C-4 where the dog bones attach ? How much backspace do you think I can get by with and not rub?  The motor will be slightly warmed over, but not alot. Remember a grandma will be driving this. Are all the dana 36 and dana 44 the same width ? Any year any more user friendly? I haven't got a rear yet but have a line on an 84  with a cross fire 350 and an automatic. Thanks, Steve

2/13/2013 4:27 pm  #10

Personnally - Given some of your ideas - you might consider a C5/6 Wishbone setup - front and rear.
The weight of the IRS should be lower, the overall performance - read handling better, and a more Up-to-Date suspension. A complete rear end rotor-rotor (R/R)  are running abour 1500 on eBay - and there have been some Viper rear ends R/R here too.  The C5/6 IFS uses esentally the same wishbones - so your build would be much simpler - I'd think.  I've gone the rear sub-frame approach - I gotta post that soon -- and its not too tough to sort out.  Your shop sound just right. But next time, I might opt for the c5/6 for a simpler - get it on the road build. No need to fabricate uprights and accept the geometry as "good enough."  Downside - Still get to build the subframe rear and a K-Bar or similar up front. 
But, if she wants to Drag Race - a wishbone suspension is not the best drag set up - a live axle probably is.

Better hurry!  Don't start over thinking it  - winter's over soon!

Cheers - JIm

2/13/2013 5:15 pm  #11

Steve,
If you look at the pick above a close guess would be 36".

Two Viper centers I posted in the classifieds. First is an old CL ad. Second is from Vettemod.com

1. Dodge Viper rear end and axles 3.07 posi IRS Hot Rod - $650 (Sioux City)
Date: 2012-02-03, 5:37PM CST
Reply to: tc63r-2823430587@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Dodge Viper Rear end third member with rear cover/mount and 2 axles. This unit has a 3.07 gear with posi and is in great condition. The rearend cover is part of the mounting system the half shaft axles are included. The axle length collapsed is aprox 19.5 extended is 22 inches. The part number on the third member is P47638. It fits 1996-02 viper or would be a great start to a Hot rod Independant rear suspension. If interested call (712) 253-7022 no checks.

2. This is a 2003 Viper Dana rear that is new, never used. The axles are 2003 and are take offs from a new Viper. I had plans to use this but I'm trying to cut back on the projects I have and don't really need this.
3.08 gears

$1000 + freight from Cincinnati, OH (price is firm).

http://irsforum.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=358

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy (2/13/2013 5:23 pm)

2/13/2013 6:20 pm  #12

Do you know what the widths on the C-5 and C-6 are? What are the backspaceing on theses wheels? Would I be able to put a wider tire on and not have the rubbing issue. Like on a C-4 rear? I'll do research on a C-5 and C_6  Steve

2/14/2013 3:22 am  #13

The C5/6 wheels have Huge Backspace - as "modern wheels" you could get 17 inch wheels and run 335/35x17 for some fat meat and all be tucked under -- but need to tub the Stude. I'll have to ask for a bit of time to find those numbers for the set up -- but if you look and download Performance Trends Software - I recall they have the C5 Dimensiopns loaded in one of their samples (DL if free - but my time has expired but I saved soewhere......)
O, ask a seller on eBay?
The C5/6 has a nice cradle set up that carries the rear diff.  See "Street Customs" for some examples as I recall on their aftermarket tube frame for C2/C3 Corvettes.

Will look for some of those details a bit later, Steve. Thanks.

Cheers - Jim

Last edited by phantomjock (2/14/2013 3:24 am)

2/14/2013 7:08 am  #14

Phantomjock, do you have pics of your build. A C-5 rear is on a framework right? As is the front? I think it would be easy to incorporate them into my frame. I have 4 53 Studes all 2 doors. Do you know of any place that be more reasonable on prices. Here in northern Minn, I'm not at the roads end but you can see it from here. The freight is sometimes as much as the parts.  I'll look for the specs, Thanks guy, Steve

2/14/2013 8:24 am  #15

I did some more searching. But didn't find the answer. Who makes the conversion  kit for converting the C-5 to an open drive line? Steve

2/14/2013 7:11 pm  #16

Another point the C4 has to use 16" wheels min. and some may not fit. The C3 will accept 15's. Not sure about the C5/C6.

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy (2/14/2013 7:15 pm)

Board footera