Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

1/27/2013 9:40 pm  #1

66 mustang IRS

I am in the information gathering phase in deciding IRS or not on my 66mustang.  In viewing "daze" photos that he didon his mustang ,it all looks great and something that I have the capability of doing. However the photos of the IRS installed show that there in minimal ground clearance.
my quesions are:
is minimal ground clearances charactoristic of IRS?
would stiffer springs be a solution to the clearance issue?
if so would it effect the the benefits of IRS in a negative way?
to those who have installed an IRS in a mustang would you do it again? 

Thanks
yolo

1/28/2013 3:25 am  #2

Re: 66 mustang IRS

yolo - Welcome aboard!

I can't speak to a Mustang IRS install.  But a few key fatcors to include in your IRS design are: (I've listed In no particular order)
1. Ride height (which is really shock length at mid point)
2. Ground Clearence
3. Spring  forces
4. Torsion (anti-sway) bars/need
5. Roll Center locationj and movement
6. Camber and Toe control
7. Wheel geometry changes through movement
8. and a few more I'll think about when I wake up! (Its just now 0400)

Using a Jag for your install will have a numjber of benefits - but you'll wind up with a JAG IRS - under a Mustang.  Its geometry is kinda set already - so to set a different Ground Clearence - you'd need to do some adapting I'd think.

I'll stand aside here and let those with a similar conversion chime in.
Welcome aboard!

Cheers - Jim

UNDERCONSTRUCTION! Highly Modified C3 Corvette
         Dual Wishbone IRS w Subframe + Custom Uprights

1/28/2013 9:08 am  #3

yolo wrote:

is minimal ground clearances charactoristic of IRS?

The ground clearance is about the same as with a live axle the only difference is on a live axle only the center section hangs down that low, but with the IRS the wishbones hang down so the lower ground clearance is the entire width of the rear end not just the center section.  also when you compare it to long tube headers, V8 oil pan  and LCAs in the front suspension there is not any less ground clearance than what you have in the front.

yolo wrote:

would stiffer springs be a solution to the clearance issue?

really the only correct way to get more ground clearance would be to install the unit with ground clearance in mind so that you can run taller tires.

yolo wrote:

if so would it effect the the benefits of IRS in a negative way?

Yes.  Spring rate on any suspension is an easy way to adjust ride hight.  people do it all the time.  However for the best handling, stiffer is not always better.  For the the best results a person needs to plan ahead so that they get the correct ride height WITH the correct spring rate.

yolo wrote:

to those who have installed an IRS in a mustang would you do it again? 

I haven't had mine on the road yet but there is a guy in Turkey Mustsed that has done several Mustangs now and loves them.  I am also planning to Jag IRS my Galaxie.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

1/29/2013 3:43 am  #4

Hi everybody,

Never tought that a human kidney could set one out of live that long - what a pain but luckily a wil be on here more regular as before.

Welcome on board Yolo, you've just found the only IRS dedicated understandable forum on the www.

I have done 6 Jaguar IRS rear ends into 5 Mustang's and 1 F-100. The first and second (Mustang & F100) was installed using a crossmember on top between the frames and a second crossmember in front of the Jag IRS to have some points to install the differential and the trailing arms to. The rest used the cage a la Daze! 

I have the dimensions for a Mustang and can make a frame cage without having the car here to work on. All other brands that ask for such a cage  must have the car available to me so I can take meassurements.

NONE of the owners would ever go back to a straight axle when compared to the IRS. The cars handle much more stable and even maintain grip on high speed driving. Never had an issue with ground clearance but the stock Jaguar had the same hight also!?!? If you look from the back of a Jaguar IRS car, it SEEMS the car is lower but it is not. I have done the cage on my own '67 Mustang recessed so it will drop an additional 2".

If you read trough the post on here, you get very close to the right adjustments which are more accurate then the Mustang units had ever been. 

I agree that the Jaguar IRS might not be the "best" IRS out there but it is cheap, available, parts are easy to get or to make and most off all - affordable (even here in Turkey). 

Would I do it again? YES (anytime / anywhere)

I also look into other IRS units from BMW, Honda or Nissan but they are more work to install and more expensive (at least over here).

I have two more Jaguar IRS units in the garage and waiting for gears and a lock to fit them in one more Mustang and a '56 Victoria.

I am not affiliated with Jaguar :-)))

Mustsed

Nothing is impossible, some just cost more!

1/31/2013 9:32 am  #5

Glad to have you back and good to here you are feeling better!!

6 installs???  I think we have only seen pix for 3  Looks like you need to start posting some pix  

2/01/2013 9:35 am  #6

Hi everybody,

The problem is that I can't take pics and work at the same time!!!!!!!!

The system I use is the same on all of them except the first two. The pics of the red rear end in another post on here is the last end easiest system I do. I really have no pics of the other installs and never tought of doing an article about them.

My son took a few pics of my own rear end that will be dropped ca.2" and I will share pics when I am done with it.

Daze, did you leave that  spacer in there or do you change the bolt pattern? That is now a problem for me and the dropped cage. 

Mustsed

Nothing is impossible, some just cost more!

2/02/2013 9:22 am  #7

Mustsed wrote:

Daze, did you leave that  spacer in there or do you change the bolt pattern? That is now a problem for me and the dropped cage. 

Mustsed

Two different set ups.  My mustang uses the older hubs that can be drilled.  The IRS that will eventually go in my Galaxie is the one that will have the out board discs.  I have not started that project so I am not sure if the spacers will work or not.

Board footera