Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

12/19/2012 2:11 pm  #1

Proposal.... The IRS Forum .... Open source IRS

Hi Guys,

This is a great forum, the amount of knowledge that I have picked up from reading the posts, looking at the pictures  has been invaluable in my quest to complete my 48 Chevy. Passenger project.

I would like to propose that given all the knowledge from fellow members we would be in a great position to  develop  detailed specification for the installation of 1 or more  IRS configurations.

I'm in the IT game and "open source"  movements through out the industry have produced  many useful pieces of software that have been developed by volunteers, enthusiast and professionals to allow acces to the programs by making the software freely available. Just google "open source "

My idea for the open source iRS  would be to define specifications that could  be used by people like us in their IRS installation.

In other words a  Recipe for installing an IRS .

As other open source projects and indeed as most car projects are different  users using the recipe for their installation can and could contribute to  the project by  documenting their specific variances to the original recipe. Thereby ending up with  a library of known installations.

Think of it this your car project would a have a virtual history as well as a physical history.

Anyway this is a discussion any comments.??

Cheers and have a great Christmas and  a happy new year..

Regards

Patrick

"cut your way in and weld your way out "

12/19/2012 4:56 pm  #2

Re: Proposal.... The IRS Forum .... Open source IRS

Patrick -

I did something similar with a DIY CNC group a few years back.  It was more of a "open source Design"  effort. 
Guess because I jumped in with both feet and  offered a number of ideas, concepts and planning precepts - I got "voluen-told"  (new age term for "volunteered") to lead the effort. 
I think you have a great idea, and I'm happy to participate .  I suggest you'd make a great leader for it with your IT experience. How would you like to approach it - online as part of the forum, a set of separate sub-threads - Like Planning Your IRS,  Design Considerations, Software Aids and Resources, Hardware Alternatives, Installation, Testing/Drive and Performance, etc?

Daze is the "mufta" for this forum, and maybe he could break out a separate thread?

-- Or Maybe just create as we go, but include in theThread Title - the appropriate category (my examples above) as first line --- then someone could search on the prefix  and get all the info they need at once.   Keeps the forum flowing and allows for a "library" for later use as you mentioned.
There I go again, I type too much -- even though I only use  2 fingers!

BTW - where in AUS is home?  I spent most of my time (2 years)  in QLD.  Cairns, Bundy, GB Reef, then went over the top and left via Darwin. 

Cheers - Jim

Last edited by phantomjock (12/19/2012 4:57 pm)

UNDERCONSTRUCTION! Highly Modified C3 Corvette
         Dual Wishbone IRS w Subframe + Custom Uprights

12/19/2012 6:43 pm  #3

My first thought before I even noticed your from is it OZ/AUS?

Was this link.
https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/street_rod.aspx

The guidelines however only cover the Jag IRS which is the last pdf. Maybe you have seen this before.

Ralphy

12/20/2012 6:20 am  #4

phantomjock wrote:

Patrick -

I did something similar with a DIY CNC group a few years back.  It was more of a "open source Design"  effort. 
Guess because I jumped in with both feet and  offered a number of ideas, concepts and planning precepts - I got "voluen-told"  (new age term for "volunteered") to lead the effort. 
I think you have a great idea, and I'm happy to participate .  I suggest you'd make a great leader for it with your IT experience. How would you like to approach it - online as part of the forum, a set of separate sub-threads - Like Planning Your IRS,  Design Considerations, Software Aids and Resources, Hardware Alternatives, Installation, Testing/Drive and Performance, etc?

Daze is the "mufta" for this forum, and maybe he could break out a separate thread?

-- Or Maybe just create as we go, but include in theThread Title - the appropriate category (my examples above) as first line --- then someone could search on the prefix  and get all the info they need at once.   Keeps the forum flowing and allows for a "library" for later use as you mentioned.
There I go again, I type too much -- even though I only use  2 fingers!

BTW - where in AUS is home?  I spent most of my time (2 years)  in QLD.  Cairns, Bundy, GB Reef, then went over the top and left via Darwin. 

Cheers - Jim

Hi Jim,

Great to hear from you. firstly Jim, I'm from Melbourne.

And secondly great to have you on board.

My thoughts about submitting  contributions is that we could do it with a few threads.

The idea would be to firstly break up the project into different assemblies, request contributions  for the assembly, vote on the submissions and "lock in" the assembly into the design.

Then the real work starts,  design , fabrication.

What do you think?

Patrick

12/20/2012 6:26 am  #5

Ralphy wrote:

My first thought before I even noticed your from is it OZ/AUS?

Was this link.
https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/street_rod.aspx

The guidelines however only cover the Jag IRS which is the last pdf. Maybe you have seen this before.

Ralphy

hi Ralphy,

Yep seen that link  infact if you are building a rod or custom in Australia  this is the "bible"

However it only provides  guidance, as far as I'm concerned I wouldike more speciific information, drawings,  dimensions and othe best know methods.

Patrick

12/20/2012 11:14 am  #6

Without micro-managing anyone's work effort, I don't know that we can really provide anything but guidance even with more specific and detailed information.

Like most IT decisions/projects, the best information can be put out there, but the implementation is still an exercise left up to the reader/user/builder...

12/20/2012 2:52 pm  #7

303Radar wrote:

Without micro-managing anyone's work effort, I don't know that we can really provide anything but guidance even with more specific and detailed information.

Like most IT decisions/projects, the best information can be put out there, but the implementation is still an exercise left up to the reader/user/builder...

Hi There,

Indeed I agree, but  if you take the anology of making a cake.

You know what the ingredients should be and roughly how to make it eventually you'll bake a great cake.

What I'm advocating is a recipe , you can still change it to your individual taste but you have known starting point.

Does this make sense?

Cheers

Patrick

12/21/2012 4:46 am  #8

So many variables. Take my situation, I'm very space limited. On top of that there are so many designs, unique IRS designs. I'm not saying it couldn't be done. The base line would have to always start with the IRS Carrier unit itself. Needed to drill down on specifications. IRS Unit/Chassis Dimensions/Use, Street, Race, Show, Etc.../????.

I understand where your going with this. It's taken some time to understand the whys. For example just moving the brakes inboard and how it effects geometry needs or wants. Wow! Everything is so purposeful and that's what a newbie may have a hard time grasping. I still find my knowledge still limited.

An example I ran across at Club Cobra. A guy bought an already built car. After the purchase he began to notice under hard acceleration the rear would squat hard. So hard the tires rubbed the body. When he posted pictures of the car. He had a Corvette C4 IRS, which uses two trailing links. Well the original builder randomly mounted both links below the halfshaft centerline. It was the easiest location. Many posters noticed this would create squat and not anti-squat or neutral, nowhere near an OEM position. Now to make things worse this owner went to a local car builder who said, hey I can fix this this easily for app.$1,500. Alert! He luckily posted what this builder proposed. Yes he was going to do some changes, however his remedy was not going to fix the owners problem. There are builders that have the ability to build yes, but generally they take suspension parts from one vehicle and place parts onto another, hopefully in the same position from where it came from typically. When a person starts moving things/pickup points lookout! The owner realized the real problem, then took it upon himself and friends plus Club Cobra guys to do it himself. This so called builder was clueless.

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy (12/21/2012 5:48 am)

12/21/2012 2:58 pm  #9

Ralphy wrote:

So many variables. Take my situation, I'm very space limited. On top of that there are so many designs, unique IRS designs. I'm not saying it couldn't be done. The base line would have to always start with the IRS Carrier unit itself. Needed to drill down on specifications. IRS Unit/Chassis Dimensions/Use, Street, Race, Show, Etc.../????.

I understand where your going with this. It's taken some time to understand the whys. For example just moving the brakes inboard and how it effects geometry needs or wants. Wow! Everything is so purposeful and that's what a newbie may have a hard time grasping. I still find my knowledge still limited.

Ralphy

Hi Ralphy ,

I agree it is a  a big project but look at the locost projects, pretty much the closest to an open source car,  the IRS assembly unit is way simpler than that , sure the are variations but  a flexible base line  would be the aim.

Ralphy I agree the carrier unit is key,  either an OEM base carrier or an aftermarket  eg Dutchman have very inexpensive 9" based  carrier unit.

The hub carriers  are also key,  corvette C4 are the popular option and certainly proven geometry.

I believe the  control arms  are the  difficult  part as they are the parts that provide the flexibility to cater for different widths.

Also in this category is the Axle shafts whether CVs or  yoke style. Again different  sizes to  suit different width and HP output.

Comments ?

Cheers

Patrick

Board footera