Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

5/02/2011 9:28 am  #1

adapting discs to jag hubs

would it be out of the question to make up some circular aluminium flanges and tig weld them to the jag hubs for a disc brake calliper? My idea would be to machine the hubs so the flange's were a tight fit. Flanges would need to be made from thick aluminium obviously around 1", and if the hubs were machined slightly so they could press on tight it would keep them strong and centred
the concerns would be the welding, and the possible distortion of the hub assmbly.....

just an idea, maybe a bad one at that.....

5/02/2011 3:09 pm  #2

Re: adapting discs to jag hubs

You have obviously put a lot of thought in to it and what you have come up would be the best way to do what you propose,  but I don't like welded parts when it comes to brakes, unless the welding  is a redundancy.  The reason I don't like welds on brakes  is welds are usually more brittle than the original metal and as the brakes go through thousands upon thousands of cycles stress cracks can form at the joints.  It is going to be worse with aluminum because the area where you weld will now be a different hardness than the rest of the hub, and unlike steel aluminum will crack if it flexes much.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

Board footera