Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

9/29/2012 1:56 pm  #1

Torque Stays/Bars on Front & Rear of Jag IRS.... Opinions Wanted

I have been looking at the Tie Bars available for the Jag suspensions from custom made bars to the prefab units sold by different manufacturers.
I've found this one on Speedway. I'm wanting to use one on the front and rear, not just the front. I've yet to see torque stays on the rear as well as the front and I thought it would be different and certainly couldn't hurt. Any reason the Tie bars designed to be used on the front wouldn't work on the rear as well??? I have yet to uncage my Jag rear so have no clue if they will fit. Do running thicker Tie Bars like these require a longer Fulcrum Shaft or is the OEM shaft long enough?
Here's the one I was thinking of using on the front and rear.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Front-Tie-Bars,3365.html

I would then use 4 matching rods with clevis ends to attatch to the frame rails. Anyone have any opinions as to why I shouldn't other than the extra cost?

97' C5 Corvette, 46' International Harvester K3 Street Rod

46' International "Harvester of Sorrow" Build Thread
http://www.killbillet.com/showthread.php?t=24127

10/01/2012 7:56 am  #2

Re: Torque Stays/Bars on Front & Rear of Jag IRS.... Opinions Wanted

I would imagine two wouldn't be needed except (maybe?) in a high torque application.  My expectation is the combination of the front Tie Bar and isolation mount on the cross member eliminates the need for a rear Tie Bar.  I guess besides costs, the reason to avoid one on the rear is looks and it is another thing to work around.  I suppose if you didn't use an isolation mount to the cross member, you'd want one in the rear.

I picked up extra fulcrum shafts and they are long enough for two 3/8ths plates in the front and rear.  I've read recommendations that a tie bar be used in the rear to add strength and I plan on using one but it won't attach to the frame.
Something like these are also sold by speedway:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Rear-Tie-Bars,7739.html
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Dropped-Tie-Bar,3808.html

11/06/2012 6:00 pm  #3

More is better I always say....Ha Ha!
In regards to torque stays, I went with two pairs in the front and a pair in the back. They all use poly bushes and clevis's.

The first photo shows the two short horizontal ones and the ones going up and forward at 60 degress.

The second photo shows the two at the back going up at 60 degress. I figure I've got all my bases covered now.

11/07/2012 10:03 am  #4

Looks fabtastic 6speed.  Would love to see some more photos. So you have radius arms and a Watts Link setup?

11/07/2012 11:35 am  #5

Yes, the first photo shows the radius arm and the second photo shows a bit of the watts linkage.
More photos? Well, I see in your other thread that you're putting together your differential mounts at this time. I considered the Snow White products but found they didn't suit my specific needs. This is what I came up with:

The project is in a mock up stage at this point but this is a photo of most of the IRS components in place:

The IRS in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PImqtX1uZ2A

11/07/2012 11:56 am  #6

I envy your capability to publish wonderful article on irsforum.boardhost.com simply wanted to say I like this ! Wonderful!

11/07/2012 4:45 pm  #7

6 speed if you don't mind I put your Watts #2 and #3 on my video board.

Meryl.U, welcome to the IRS forum.
Algeria? WOW!

Ralphy

11/08/2012 3:33 am  #8

VERY NICE Sub-Frame.  And Awesome welds too.  I may steal your installation idea for the Torsion bar - that is a good option.
Thanks for sharing those pics!

Cheers - Jim

UNDERCONSTRUCTION! Highly Modified C3 Corvette
         Dual Wishbone IRS w Subframe + Custom Uprights

11/08/2012 3:59 am  #9

Thanks Jim,
The welds are a combination of TIG and MIG, depending on whether or not there was a natural gap or not where the two points of metal met. My first project using TIG....... Fun stuff.
Here's the supplier for the torsion bar:
http://www.1speedway.com/Swaybar_Arms.htm
Ken

11/08/2012 5:00 am  #10

Ken,

Is it possible you can post some detailed pics of your Watts Link? Did you TIG over your MIG's?
And I agree with PJ, nice work.

Ralphy

11/08/2012 5:14 am  #11

Ralpy,
Bad choice of words by me, ( that's the internet for you). By, "the welds are a combination of", I meant they are one or the other, TIG or MIG.
I'll try to put together a collection of photos in a separate thread titled Watts Linkage.
Ken

11/08/2012 5:30 am  #12

6 speed, no I was just wondering if you TIG'ed over.  I was not assuming you did so.

Pics would be nice! I would like to see how the center piece goes together.

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy (11/08/2012 6:14 am)

11/08/2012 9:25 am  #13

Wow, that sub-frame looks like a lot of weight.  On the upside, if you're going to have extra weight, might as well put it where it will do the most good - the rear axle!
Is this a product you're selling or do you have a project in mind already?

11/08/2012 9:58 am  #14

Yes, Radar, it does look heavy. I'm trying to be weight conscious on this project so I did what I could to keep things reasonable. The weights of 2x2x.083  and 2x2x.120 steel tubing are 2.143 and 3.050 lbs/ft respectively.

I took this photo of the chassis before I welded it to the front clip. The two side frame rails measured out to 34 lbs each and the rear frame section was 52 lbs including the differential mount plate and isolation assembly. That's a total of 120 lbs without the front clip.

This was 52 lbs.

So, I suppose the whole chassis frame, will come in at about 200 lbs. Then there will be a full cage on top of that.
Funny enough, this E-type IRS and custom chassis will go under an E-Type. A personal one off project.

11/09/2012 8:56 am  #15

Regardless of the weight, it all looks like a nice job!

11/09/2012 9:02 am  #16

Thanks very much.
Long ways to go yet.

11/09/2012 9:55 am  #17

What about the upper coilover mounts?  Fixed or adjustable. Still trying to figure that out on mine.

11/09/2012 10:26 am  #18

Fixed. I went with the original Jaguar dimensions for the upper coilover placements. I'm going to run the old coilovers I got with the IRS and then after determining my choice of springs, I'll invest in four QA1's that will allow me to adjust the ride height.

Board footera