Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

7/10/2012 1:10 am  #1

Thanks Daze!

Thanks you very much for creating this board, for sharing your knowladge and helping out people that are a way far away.

Finally I did the first "Subframed a la Daze" IRS build into a '68 Mustang hardtop. The installation went smooth and easy but because of time limit I had to stop working on it and will be back at the car 2 weeks later. Meanwhile they do the Exhaust and A/C so I can make a final check of the complete car.

Just during the installation I noticed that I forgot my file with the Jaguar data at home (800 km away) so the best ting was to contact the nearest (8000 miles) gearhead which was Daze. He send me the data the same day and I could continue to work on the car - Thanks again Daze!

Below are some pics of the car andthe IRS. I have more pics but none of the entire setup. Will take some when I'm there again. If someone needs detail pics, I have a bunch of them.

Mustsed from Turkey

Nothing is impossible, some just cost more!

7/16/2012 4:18 pm  #2

Re: Thanks Daze!

Glad I could help.  It looks good, but I need more PIX WAY MORE PIX!!!  please post more

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

7/21/2012 5:38 pm  #3

still weighting on those pix

9/07/2012 1:24 am  #4

Hi everybody,

It's been quite a while since I started this thread and promissed more pics back then. Finally I got around to sort the pics and below are a few more. I will leave them without comments but should there questions araise, I will be happy to answer them.

I am in the process of installing my own Jaguar IRS with outboard brakes into my '67 Mustang. Have it all mocked up but the car sits way to high so I have to re-arrange the cage a bit. Will start a new ppost with that later.

Mustsed

9/09/2012 8:45 am  #5

First of all thanks for the pix!!!!  Do you have any good shots of your trailing arms???

So I was comparing yours to mine and these are the differences I came up with, please let me know if I missed any:

different cross bar (between side rales) location. 
different pinion mount
different upper shock mount
the pinion support is solidly mounted to the frame rather than bushing mounted like mine
didn't have to notch the side rales 

did I miss anything???

9/10/2012 8:32 am  #6

One quick question on something I haven't seen before, is there an advantage with the place which connects the hub mounting point to the shocks? 
Off hand I don't see any pro's or con's but like I said, I haven't seen those plates before.

9/10/2012 9:00 am  #7

that plate is something  Jag added starting with the series II Jaguar XJ6.   It was added to stabilize the hub and add strength, and in general is a good idea.

9/10/2012 10:12 am  #8

Which plates are you talking about?

97' C5 Corvette, 46' International Harvester K3 Street Rod

46' International "Harvester of Sorrow" Build Thread
http://www.killbillet.com/showthread.php?t=24127

9/10/2012 11:56 am  #9

Hi everybody,

I thing that the idea of a cage mounted to the stock leaf mounts is a great idea and therefore needs to be credited to you Daze because I cought it from you!

Yes there are sme differences mainly because of time limitations and I only got 5 days to work on that car. Ford tolerances are more then I tought when using my own '67 as a jig for the cage. I had planned to mount a section of  U channel to the front leaf spring bolts and then use some bushings on the CM ends to hold it there. Have done them but no time to make it to the car again. So it will wait a bit more till they will bolt on the car. I can't remember from where I got the 3 upper shock mount bosses idea but they allow a bit of adjustability up there. 
I did the trailing arms at home and send them to a mechanic who installed them but they will be replaced by threaded rods with adjustable joints that are sold by Kugel ($55 a piece - that hurts). If I can talk the owner to lift the car up and take some pics of them, I will post them here. All in all he is very very happy with how the car handles and stays on the road as it never did before!!!!
The plates form a rectangle at the end of the lower control arm which stiffens up the mount boss / tube / fork triangle.

The preparation took a few months but the installation was not a big of a deal (except the variable meassurments on these Mustangs and the extra work that show up because of this) and I think that it is worth every cent invested.

Mustsed

9/10/2012 12:15 pm  #10

Can you post pics of the trailing arms?  I'm always curious of someone else's setup.
Thanks.

3/22/2017 3:20 pm  #11

Unless you have any objections I am going to take the info from this post and put in on a new DazeCars "Mustang IRS success stories" web page. I get a lot of emails of people asking if I ever finished the project and I think what you have done will be a lot of help to them.

Board footera