Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

7/18/2012 9:59 am  #1

Too much bind

A couple of weeks ago I got some steel tube cut and placed in the Heim joints to use as LCAs.  I mocked them in place and raised/lowered the hub to see if there was any binding.  The first half dozen cycles, I thought, well, I don't see any bind, must have done a good job.  Today, I figured I'd test it by seeing if anything moved by marking with a Sharpie.  Sure enough, there is about 3/16th of an inch of movement from raising and lowering the hub from max to min.

The question is, is any movement too much movement?  I'm guessing yes.

The other question is, is it possible to be at too sharp of an angle with the LCA?  From the picture below, it looks like the only place I can do it without removing a body to frame mount is just over a foot in front of the pumpkin itself.  Looking at the top LCA, it comes in at a much sharper angle than the bottom one.

I suppose I can send the LCA to the back, but I'd need to fab quite a bit in order to  have a good mounting point.  Which is clutter I'd rather not create/add.

Thoughts, ideas, harassment?

7/18/2012 12:04 pm  #2

Re: Too much bind

You have options.  One would be to replace one end with a rubber bushing rather then a heim.  Obviously this is a compromise, as it will reduce the effectiveness of the trailing arm slightly but the flex in the rubber will also eliminate the issue of binding.  Second option is to move the front mount, in line with the wishbone pivot.  This should eliminate the bind.  ideally you want the trailing arms to be at a 45 but if the angle is shallower than that because you can not move them forward I think you will still be fine, again some compromise.  Based on how much rubber is used on a Jag trailing arm, I am not convinced that they are that important.  I think they need to be there, but I do not think they are so important that some compromise when setting them up would be a problem.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

7/20/2012 7:38 am  #3

Daze, Thanks for the info.  I'm planning on two stages of an engine build.  The first will be a mid 300 hp build.  Then add forced induction to take it to low 500s.  It's mostly my idea of fun.  I would love to do a Pro Touring setup but I don't really want to add a roll cage, I just want something fast and fun.
Ideally, I'd like to setup the frame and suspension to take the later build so I don't have to keep modifying over time.  It would be nice to get it right the first time.  Something which is difficult at best.

7/20/2012 8:54 am  #4

with that in mind, relocating the trailing arm front pivot to be in line with the wishbone pivot would IMHO be the best option.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

Board footera