Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

6/13/2012 7:44 am  #1

What does all this car stuff have to do with tax returns?

OK, just kidding...

But, as you have probably noted, I am a "new guy."

So, a little about me: I live in the Knoxville, TN area with my wife, Kristy. She is a fantastic gal who fully supports my car/motorcycle/gun/god-knows-what-else habits.

We moved to the Knoxville area from the Washington DC area (Frederick, MD to be exact) a couple of years ago. Now, Kristy has Multiple Sclerosis, but she absolutely loves her job (the reason we moved here). Unfortunately, the MS makes it a bit difficult for her, especially as it comes to helping out with the housework, etc. So, I am a stay-at-home husband, or her "house-b----" as she jokingly calls me. The best part about this arrangement is that I have been able to embark upon a career which otherwise would have been impossible, namely, I am a writer. I'm not published yet, but if anyone might want to check out my work in progress, there is a link in my signature (www.WilliamKElliott.com) William K Elliott is my pseudonym (pen-name).

I love pretty much anything mechanical. Cars, motorcycles, guns, aircraft, trains, etc. Currently I own 3 motorcycles (oddly, none of them are on the road), a 1969 Triumph Bonneville (in boxes, to be redone for the umpteenth time), a Suzuki VX800 (A V-twin powered "standard"), and a 1976 KZ750-twin which I am building as a Café Racer (Zephyr 750 forks, KZ1000 wheels, GPZ750 tank, custom seat cowl, etc).

On the car front we own 4. My wife drives a '99 Mercedes SLK230 (she looks damned cute with the top down). We also have a '91 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (goes anywhere) for hauling, towing, and as a "Go-Vehicle" (to haul she and I and our "Go-Bag" should the need ever arise). And my daily driver is a '93 BMW M5.

To be continued...

Last edited by ProTouring442 (6/13/2012 7:49 am)

Check out my latest project, "In the Company of Devils" at www.WilliamKElliott.com

6/13/2012 7:51 am  #2

Re: What does all this car stuff have to do with tax returns?

My project car (you knew we'd get around to a "project car" sooner or later, right?) is a 1972 Oldsmobile 442 convertible. This is being built in the "Pro-Touring" style... almost. truth be told, you might call it more of a "Pro-Grand Touring" style.

It has a port injected 454 backed by a Richmond Gear 5-speed. Global West tubular upper and lower front control arms, 1-3/8 front sway bar, etc. It will also have C-6 Z06 6-piston front, 4 piston rear brakes.

The interior is heavily "upgraded" with power buckets on both sides, power remote control mirrors, power windows, tilt/tele steering column, and Classic Industries gauges.

As of the moment, it has a Currie built Ford 9" with a limited slip TSD differential. Which brings us to my having joined up here.

An idea popped into my head recently (well, I've really been mulling it over for a few years, but I started researching it a few days ago) and so I have been doing a bit of looking into the options available for an IRS set up. I think I have narrowed my options down to 3:

1) Mustang Cobra. It's strong, and it comes in a neat little package. But... they aren't inexpensive, I hear they have issues, and I am afraid of upper control arm to frame interference.

2) Jaguar. Very neat little package (especially with outboard brakes), strong (Dana 44), good aftermarket support, and inexpensive. But... the half-shaft is the "upper arm."

3) GTO. The right width, strong, good aftermarket support. But... it's a semi-trailing arm design (then again, so is my M5, and that handles like a dream).

So what do you guys (and gals?) think? I'm leaning toward the GTO, but I haven't quite decided to pull the trigger. If I do, I thought I might adapt BMW's "Auxiliary Track Link" which, according to www.scribd.com/doc/27156315/Table-of-Contents-Suspension-Systems "...reduces the pivot axis from 20 degrees to 13 degrees which reduces the amount of camber and track change during bounce and rebound." If understand this correctly, it simply limits suspension travel?

Anyway, all thoughts appreciated!

Shiny Side Up!
Bill

Last edited by ProTouring442 (6/13/2012 7:53 am)

Check out my latest project, "In the Company of Devils" at www.WilliamKElliott.com

6/14/2012 3:47 am  #3

A quick sniff under the armpits says I remembered deodorant...   

Anybody out there??

Shiny Side Up!
Bill

6/14/2012 4:07 am  #4

LOL  Welcome to the site !  It would seem lik emany of the regular experts are absent a bit lately?  Nice Ride to work with for sure, I can't offer to many opinions as Im pretty new to this IRS stuff and only know what I have hacked up myself. Looking forward to where you go with it. Love the BBC !
Joe

6/14/2012 7:23 am  #5

PT!
Welcome aboard, I hear you on the IRS thing. I had gathered as much info as I could to create some sort of data base here. Sifting out the Feds was always an issue. I put quit a few videos on one page in fact I added a few yesterday, now counting 115. I have the link below on all my posts if your interested.

Your project 442 looks awesome.

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy (6/14/2012 7:26 am)

6/14/2012 7:04 pm  #6

Thanks guys!

All suspension systems have trade offs, the difficult question is which ones do I want to deal with.

I'll be putting a fair amount of power down (550-600hp?), so there is always that to contend with.

Decisions, decisions...

Shiny Side Up!
Bill

6/19/2012 2:57 pm  #7

OK, I think the Jaguar is the unit I will end up using. As I will be pushing a serious amount of HP, and in a fairly heavy car, I think some manner of heavier duty lower arms will be necessary.

Most designs I have seen are based on adding tubes to the outside of the existing dogbone, or replacing it with a wide lower unit. Wouldn't it be beneficial to make a new lower arm that is more "3D" like a smaller version of those metal roof beams?

It seems to me that this sort of design would resist twisting, and thus limit wheel hop...

Shiny Side Up!
Bill

6/19/2012 5:32 pm  #8

Just use a larger piece of DOM tubing with larger Heims if you feel the need for more strength.

Ralphy

Board footera