Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

6/10/2012 9:02 am  #1

Crush sleeve ? '86 XJS inboard Salsbury

Hey guys..

Got everything apart, cleaned, etc., new bearings, seals, caliper kit, pistons, etc.

Everything going back together just fine until I started to assemble the inside stub shafts. The crush sleeve that was in the kit looks like a straight cylinder, with no "give groove" like the one that came out of the original.

I got the races pressed in and the seal in place and pressed the inside race down to about 1/8" (play on the bearings), then put the big nut on with the "keeper" and started torquing it down. Well, I busted my rather large vice clear off my work table, using a 4' cheater bar on the dang thing.

Since this is my "first", can ya'll just confirm that it takes LOOOTS of torque to pull it the bearing in, and whether the crush ring that is just a simple cylinder will "crush" ??? I stopped when the vice came loose, and am searching for a socket I can cut in two and weld a piece of pipe to extend it to get over the stub shaft..

Thanks, ya'll..

Paul

6/10/2012 11:01 am  #2

Re: Crush sleeve ? '86 XJS inboard Salsbury

Paul - I'm unfamiliar with the territory you're in -- but always remind myself of a boat name I'll always remember, "Force Nothing!"
There is the old trick of putting the bearings in the freezer, and maybe someone just mispackaged your kit?

Best of Luck - Jim

UNDERCONSTRUCTION! Highly Modified C3 Corvette
         Dual Wishbone IRS w Subframe + Custom Uprights

6/10/2012 12:33 pm  #3

Re: Crush sleeve ? '86 XJS inboard Salsbury

Thanks, Phantom...

The inside races pressed on just fine with no resistance.  As I understand, the last 1/8" or so, while the bearing is still loose with the rollers and outside race, you use the big nut to pull it down to final position, while testing the torque it takes to rotate the bearing at about 20 inch pounds, as I understand.

I'm hoping that there was no "mis packaging" .........I bought the kit from Captain Jaguar in Oklahoma. When I called him yesterday, the parts guy didn't know what the hell I was talking about on the crush sleeve being a straight cylinder...

Oh, does anybody have a part number for the inner hub seals?... I screwed one of them up while trying to press it in, and now I can't find the *&%$ thing. I understand that regular parts stores have them..

Thanks guys

Board footera