Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

10/13/2010 3:13 pm  #1

Thoughts, how much gap should a bump stop create???

I am thinking about my bump stops.  In a lot of cases they are there to keep shocks from bottoming out.  Of corse given the angle of the Jag shocks, this is not an issue.  Bump stops are needed however to avoid metal to metal contact should the suspension over compress.  So what I am wondering is how much compression is there in a bump stop.  Would you want the bump stop to come in contact with the suspension 1/4"  before you have metal to metal contact, 1/2",  1/8"  what are your thoughts on the matter???

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

10/17/2010 8:00 pm  #2

Re: Thoughts, how much gap should a bump stop create???

I have not found anything on the internet in the way of a dimension that will help us.  I, too, find myself guessing.  So, what I am proposing is a test that would make me confident that a 1g bump to the stops would not result in tires rubbing, metal to metal contact, or coil bind.  What I intend to do is mount the bump stops to a bracket that leaves at least 1/2 inch clearance between the frame rails and the top of my half-shafts.  Your situation may be different as yours are a smaller diameter than mine.  Then I am going to place the weight of the car on the rear suspension with the coilovers not installed.  If the tires don't rub, there is no metal to metal, and the lowest parts of my chassis clear the ground, I will check the coilover mounting length to see if there is a safety margin for preventing spring coil bind.

"'Cars are like primates. They need to squat to go.'—Carroll Smith"

10/17/2010 8:51 pm  #3

I think they will hold the weight with out much change.  what I am worried about is the added force of a sudden impact du to hitting a bump.  that is where I want to make sure I have enough clearance.  its a fine line because I also don't want to limit my suspension travel, so I am trying to come up with a minimum gap amount... I am hoping 1/4" will do, but like everything else in this project I plan on making it adjustable incase I need a little more.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

10/17/2010 10:29 pm  #4

I read somewhere that you should design your suspension spring rate to take a 1g load before hitting the stops.  The bump stop load would be over and above that, so that's one hellova bump we're talking about.

"'Cars are like primates. They need to squat to go.'—Carroll Smith"

Board footera