Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

4/11/2012 6:34 pm  #1

1973 Jag IRS brake caliper hard lines

Cleaning up my IRS and notice the steel brake lines running across the calipers look a little fuzzy.  Anybody know where I can get prebent replacements?

Last edited by jmbo (4/11/2012 6:35 pm)

4/12/2012 2:41 am  #2

Re: 1973 Jag IRS brake caliper hard lines

Bend your own?  Autozone and Advance Auto have tool rental use that you don't have to buy the flare tools.  Not hard - and some nice tube available out there.
Else Classic Tube?

Cheers - Jim

UNDERCONSTRUCTION! Highly Modified C3 Corvette
         Dual Wishbone IRS w Subframe + Custom Uprights

4/12/2012 9:02 am  #3

Agreed bend your own, also I sell adaptors that allow you to go from the Jag flange to an inverted flair.  The advantage is being able to use them more than once.  the jag type fitting seals well the first time you tighten it down but it you have to remove it it is hard to get resealed.  The fittings I have seal with either an an -3 or crush washer (depends on the calipers) and then you end up with a nice inverted flair.  I also sell fitting to convert the in line to an an  -3 so it is easy to run braided lines.

here is the two types of fittings.  the one on the left converts the outlets to an an-3 and requires the washer.  the one on the right converts to an inverted flair and may or may not require the washer.

I went to an -3 on all 4 ports on my calipers.  that way I could run braided line between sides and also so I could set up a remote bleeder.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

4/18/2012 8:37 am  #4

NOTICED YOUR THREAD ON THE JAG REAR BRAKE CALIPER FITTINGS.
HOPE YOU CAN HELP ME.
WE HAVE A KIT CAR WITH A JAG REAR END IN IT,BELIEVE 69.
WHAT FITIING GOES INTO THE STOCK JAG BRAKE CALIPER?
PIPE THREAD,METRIC,AN,???
A 3AN SCREWS RIGHT IN BUT I CANT HARDLEY BELIEVE THEY CAME WITH AN FITTINGS?
WE ARE GOING TO USE BRAIDED HOSE TO A T OR Y THEN HARD LINE TO THE FRONT,BUT NEED TO KNOW WHAT THE STOCK FACTORY FITTING IS GOING INTO THE CALIPERS.
THANKS FOR ANY HELP.

4/18/2012 9:07 am  #5

They did not come with an-3 fittings however the crush type fitting they used seats agains a bore that is the same angle and thread as an an-3 so yes you can use the an-3 fittings.  Problem is the holes are so deep that most an-3 couplers, except bulkhead fittings, will not properly seat, and bulkhead fitting are, IMHO to long and stick out to far.  That is why I sell the fittings that I do to convert it to an an-3 and at only $3.00 each you can't go wrong.  Here is another thread from the forum on using bulkhead fittings

http://irsforum.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=127

there are some good pix on this thread

http://irsforum.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=187

Last edited by Daze (4/18/2012 9:09 am)

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

Board footera