Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

4/05/2012 10:51 am  #1

Watts link, one of hub or both sides?

I was doing some research here and I've learned a lot especially about a Watts link.  One question I have is, does it need to connect to both sides (right & left) of the hub or can it work just as or nearly as well from one side?
I ask because with full size Chevy frame (58 - 64), the only good mounting point is on the side which goes to the rear of the vehicle.  I would expect mounting a Watts to one side rather than both should be 90% as good as mounting to both sides of the hub.
Is there any reason to think differently?

Here is an image showing front to rear.

By iradari at 2012-04-05

Last edited by 303Radar (4/05/2012 3:41 pm)

4/05/2012 3:48 pm  #2

Re: Watts link, one of hub or both sides?

303Radar,
I think what your asking is to put both links to the rear? That is not workable, the purpose of a Watt's is to remove the arc a single link would have. The fore and aft link are equal distance from the hub mounting. Also the links are equal length. The two links mounted to the center swivel cancel each other out in regard to the swiveling center piece. This allows the center/swivel to move in a perfect straight path. If you have a LCA such as the Jag, hard mounted. This is what would be needed to allow for no binding.

The Watt's as shown is 100% symmetrical.  Even the fixed points will need to be matched/timed the same.

Ralphy

Here are more of 303Radars pics.

Last edited by Ralphy (4/05/2012 4:17 pm)

4/06/2012 9:37 am  #3

Sounds like I need to create a bracket/mount for an effective Watts setup.  I'm not sure where I thought I'd seen pictures of a Watts on one side or the other.  Hopefully I can come up with something which will clear the bump stop.
Thanks!

4/09/2012 7:09 pm  #4

Take a look in at the video in posts moved from the old forum via this link http://irsforum.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=201 to see how a Watts linkage works.

"'Cars are like primates. They need to squat to go.'—Carroll Smith"

Board footera