Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

3/30/2012 8:35 pm  #1

Bump Stop, no place for one...

I saw in another thread that coil overs have a built in bump stop, which in my application is a good thing.  The only place I could put one would require it to hang down nearly six inches.

Can anyone confirm this or is this something I should confirm when I order the shocks?
Here's an image on the passenger side:

Last edited by Daze (3/31/2012 9:23 pm)

3/31/2012 9:25 pm  #2

Re: Bump Stop, no place for one...

couldn't you just hang it from the frame rail in such a way that it would contact the hub if needed???  Some Qa1 shocks have built in bump stops just keep in mind you will loose 1" of travel.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

3/31/2012 10:13 pm  #3

Please read Bump Stops are very Important in the old forum.  The thread goes on to show a picture of a stock Jag bump which was designed to cushion on top of the aluminum hubs.  Also, Daze chimes in on where to get them.  Seems like you could make a bracket on your frame to mount these.

Last edited by irstang (3/31/2012 10:18 pm)

"'Cars are like primates. They need to squat to go.'—Carroll Smith"

4/02/2012 11:31 am  #4

Got it, need the bump stops.  I'll figure something out.  I like the idea of going to the top of the hub but I am worried about the strength of the bracket to be made.  I'd have to put it about six inches out and nearly four inches down to hit the top of the hub, which is hard to see from the pic above (thanks Daze for embedding it). 
I could drop something straight down from the frame but that would hit the half shaft and I think it would look horrible.
The live axle I took out would have needed four inches of travel before hitting the bump stop.
I guess the other question is, how much travel should the bump stop allow?  I'm assuming about an inch.  Or just enough to prevent the shock from fully compressing?
Thanks!

4/02/2012 12:07 pm  #5

a bump stop does not allow much travel 1/4" to 1/2" at the most.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

Board footera