Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

3/11/2011 10:13 pm  #1

ERA Optional IRS

Daze, remember talking about how the Guldstrand C3 Corvette setup had the shock mounted to the bearing carrier? Well ERA's web site shows a different method using the Jag carrier. I wondered about the shock sitting on the front camber (strut) rod. That is what ERA has done, they also weld a bracket between the front and rear rod! I thought, man you can't do that, if the bearing carrier rotates at all the weld would crack. But the weld will not stress and crack. Due to the fact the heim ends at the inner mount will rotate. Looks to me that ERA's forward links are unequal length so the bearing carrier will rotate. Also the upper forward link is not even going directly forward, but going inward toward the middle of the chassis at about 10 degrees.

Notice the rear rod is adjustable to change the camber without removal.

Here is a view from under.

Last edited by Ralphy (3/11/2011 10:40 pm)

3/18/2011 7:38 am  #2

Re: ERA Optional IRS

that is very interesting.  Obviously some one who is truly educated in suspension sat down and drew that bad boy out to make sure everything would work properly with out binding.  My question would be what is the ratio between suspension improvement compared to the added complexity??

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

3/19/2011 7:53 am  #3

Re: ERA Optional IRS

The geometry is not innovative, it's pretty much the same as what I showed you in my concept that I stole from Guldstrand. Many race cars are also similar, the GT40 is one. Also the C4 Corvette is the same but different.

What I worried about was the unequal length forward links causing  toe issues. That is why I added a watts link for the upper forward link. I'm still not sure exactly where that bracket goes (mounts) for the forward lower link. It can't be welded to the rear camber rod, it would possibly break.  It may be loosely bolted to the aluminum bearing carrier. There are two bolts in one view. Then where the coilover mounts.

Last edited by Ralphy (3/19/2011 8:10 am)

Board footera