Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

3/31/2012 9:58 pm  #1

IRS weight

Does anybody know how much the Jaguar IRS units weigh, including cage, brakes the whole lot?
I can't seem to find this in google anywhere.

Last edited by Boony405hp (3/31/2012 9:59 pm)

3/31/2012 11:26 pm  #2

Re: IRS weight

All I can say after helping lift one end my assembled cage it that it weighs more than the Mustang 8" rear.  More important to me is the reduction of unsprung weight/mass.  I took my inspiration for IRS from early Jaguar development. "A Mark 2 saloon fitted with a prototype IRS demonstrated a reduction in unsprung weight of 190 lb (86 kg) compared with a live axle."-Wood, J (1990) Jaguar E-Type: The Complete Story, Crowood Press, Ramsbury.

"'Cars are like primates. They need to squat to go.'—Carroll Smith"

4/01/2012 5:29 am  #3

Boony404hp,
I don't know the actual weight but it's more than what two men and a boy can comfortably carry. Definetly floor jack material. You could pose the question over on the Jag-lover's forum and get a value of its weight.

I'm curious, did you want to know for shipping purposes or for reasons of weight distribution in the car?
Ken

4/01/2012 8:21 am  #4

I don't know the exact weight but I did have information where a guy weighed all the parts after he narrowed a jag unit and it was over  350# for the whole thing.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

Board footera