Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

3/28/2012 9:50 am  #1

Jaguar IRS inboard brake to outboard brake conversion

HI All,

Im sure many of you have done this before....Im looking for advice on how to convert a 1983 IRS with inboard brakes to an outboard brake version.

I'm installing it into a cobra replica.  Ive got the complete axle from a 1983 XJ6 and an X300 with ventoed outboard discs.  I dont want to shorten or change any overall dimensions.  Can anybody point me in the right direction as to what will fit and what wont?  I.e. will the x308 driveshafts fit the old XJ6 output flange and will the lowver wishbone fir the new outboard hub?

As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

Justin

3/28/2012 10:39 am  #2

Re: Jaguar IRS inboard brake to outboard brake conversion

you need to use the newer hubs, the newer stub axle and the newer half shaft.  As to the newer hubs them selves they will fit right in to the older wish bones however the pin is a different size.  The option is to either use a spacer ring in the half shaft or to use UHMW bushing to fit the newer hub and utilize the older pin.  I am going to offer those bushings for sale in the near future.  here is a link to a thread comparing my newer hubs with my older ones.

http://irsforum.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=162

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

3/28/2012 10:42 am  #3

I also forgot you will need a spacer between the drive axles and the half shafts to fill the gap left by the inboard discs.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

3/29/2012 5:14 am  #4

Daze,

Thanks for the response and the links.  Thats really helped.  I got the parts but havent started stripping down.  At least I know what to look out for.

llooking at the other thread, is that right that driveshaft just bolts straight up and the bolt positions are the same?  Also, do you happen to have any dimensions for the bushings you made?  I'll look to either make some myself or see if i can get some specific bearings made up to suit.

Board footera