Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

3/20/2012 8:12 am  #1

1989 Jag IRS in a Rat Rod

Instaling a IRS from a 1989 XJ6 in a 1930 Ford 5 window coup.  Why a unit out of a 89 Jag, Because it was cheap and there are lots of this era in the salvage yards. I note that this forum  suggests that up to a 87 be used, not sure why but  if anyone can explain, will appreciate it.
With no experiance in a conversion like this except a lot of pictures from lots of IRS ,s,
dumped everything except the center section, axles and outboard bearing carriers. Not sure what thair called. This unit has outboard brakes. Seems that this would  be an advantage to keep as much weight on the wheels and off the centersection and frame as possible, any thoughts?
Shortned the half shafts 2 in. by cutting and sleving with 2 in DOM tubbing with .250 wall thickness. So far looks fine, suppose will find out first time when used?
Because lower control arms from original where huge, and ugly as hell, and had to be shortned anyway,  out they went except for both ends, reconnected with heavy duty tubing. Again it looks good and again will find out eventualy. 
Using a Ford 5.0L out of a gt mustang. AOD tranney. from the water pump to the driveshaft.
So? any suggestions on  connecting the tail end of the Mustang driveshaft to the Jag rearend?
Saw someware a yoke conversion that fit the Jag to use a GM universal joint. Need a Ford!
If anyone interested, the original u-joints on  the half shafts apparently can be replaced with GM u-joints from Precision #331. Did it and they fit.
The IRS is installed in frame, coilovers and all. IF anyone interested, will post pictures.
Thank, Boatbroke.

3/20/2012 9:06 am  #2

Re: 1989 Jag IRS in a Rat Rod

First of all welcome to the forum!!  We would love to see some pix of your project.

boatbroke wrote:

I note that this forum  suggests that up to a 87 be used, not sure why but  if anyone can explain, will appreciate it.

Several reasons for that.  First the earlier Jag units were basically all the same so parts readably available.  Also prior to the change over year all the units used SEA bolts and nuts, nit a big deal but an advantage if working on an older car in the states to not need metric tools.  The biggest advantage to the earlier units is the inboard disc brakes but I will address that with your next question.

boatbroke wrote:

outboard bearing carriers. Not sure what thair called.

uprights or hubs in most cases

boatbroke wrote:

This unit has outboard brakes. Seems that this would  be an advantage to keep as much weight on the wheels and off the centersection and frame as possible, any thoughts?

there are some advantages to out board brakes.  It is easier to upgrade to vented rotors.  Outboard discs get more airflow and thus are easier to keep cool.  Inboard disc are more likely to transfer heat to the inner u-joint as well as the differential bearings and seals.  Also outboard discs are easier to service however The biggest advantage to inboard discs and the reason the earlier Jag unit is commonly recommended is the unsprung weight.  Basically the weight above the springs is sprung weight and the weight below the springs is unsprung.  Unsprung weight does not have the benefit of springs to absorb the impact as it hits imperfections in the road.  Think of it like this if the hub weighed 50 pounds and falls in a pot hole you will have half the impact of a 100 pound hub falling in the same pothole at the same speed.  Ideally less unsprung weight is better.  That is why aluminum rims are better than steel.  Ultimately the decision lies in the builder.  On my Mustang I am keeping the inboard discs because I want less unsprung weight and the performance gains outweigh the advantages to the outboard discs.  On my galaxie (when it ever gets IRS) I am going to go with outboard discs because the advantages out weigh the performance gains or at least the need for performance, it is a cruiser and nothing more.

boatbroke wrote:

any suggestions on  connecting the tail end of the Mustang driveshaft to the Jag rear end?

All you need is an OEM Jaguar flange.  The Jaguar driveline... at least the 87 and down used the 1310 u-joint same as ford so the OEM flange that bolts to the differential can be installed on a ford driveline and then mated to the Jag diff.  Contact David at www.everydayXJ.com I am sure he can hook you up.

boatbroke wrote:

The IRS is installed in frame, coilovers and all. IF anyone interested, will post pictures.
Thank, Boatbroke.

Yes please do I would love to see some pix!!!

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

Board footera