Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

8/17/2011 10:15 am  #1

Just got a Jag IRS for my hot rod project

Now what do I do?! Haha

What's the best way fore me to go about using this? It's been rebuilt, so I don't need to mess with any of that. I just need to figure out how to get it installed. I'm building a frame, so I can make it work with the IRS. Does anybody make pre-made frame rails that the IRS will mount to that I can weld the rest of the frame to? Seems like that would be the best deal for me.

I also have the front suspension, too. IFS I bet it's called. Frame rails for the IFS would be awesome, too.

Thanks!
Chris

8/17/2011 4:12 pm  #2

Re: Just got a Jag IRS for my hot rod project

well first of all WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!   As to your questions I am not sure of places with weld in frame rails.  are you planing on cage mounting it or are you mounting it to a custom crossmember???

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

9/27/2011 9:19 am  #3

I'm back... had a crazy several weeks. But now I can get back to my project.

I want the cleanest look, I suppose that means doing a frame rail mount. Does anybody make a set of rails that this would mount to, that I could weld to the rest of my frame?

Thanks!
Chris

9/27/2011 12:39 pm  #4

First off, what are you putting the IRS in?

9/27/2011 2:14 pm  #5

Ralphy wrote:

First off, what are you putting the IRS in?

I don't have a body or a frame at this point. I am open  to body style. Something from the late 20's to early 30's. I got such a great deal on the IRS and IFS that I could not not use them. I may even build part of a body and use part of other(s). So basically,m I'm open and gathering as much info as I can.

Chris

9/27/2011 5:01 pm  #6

well if that is the case I would approach it like this, I would rebuild the full suspension and have it ready to go, then I would use a single piece of steel across the top of the diff to approximate mounting locations. Nothing fancy or strong just something to approximate the dimensions of the suspension, THEN when you find a project, the rear end is all mocked up and you can take measurements and get an idea of what it will take to make it fit.  From there you can worry about a cross member that will be solid and mount in between the frame rails of what ever you decide to build.  Getting a permeant crossmember now, will most likely  make fitting in the actual car harder as you will be closed to all options except making it work.  make sense???

9/28/2011 9:07 am  #7

Daze wrote:

well if that is the case I would approach it like this, I would rebuild the full suspension and have it ready to go, then I would use a single piece of steel across the top of the diff to approximate mounting locations. Nothing fancy or strong just something to approximate the dimensions of the suspension, THEN when you find a project, the rear end is all mocked up and you can take measurements and get an idea of what it will take to make it fit.  From there you can worry about a cross member that will be solid and mount in between the frame rails of what ever you decide to build.  Getting a permeant crossmember now, will most likely  make fitting in the actual car harder as you will be closed to all options except making it work.  make sense???

Yup... makes sense to me. The IRS & IRS  were both rebuilt before I got them. It's got maybe 5K miles on the rebuilds. They aren't dolled up, but  I'm not going for a "pretty" car... More of a cross between a rat rod and a fully done hot rod.

Thanks!
I'll keep you all posted on the build

Chris

10/21/2011 11:53 am  #8

How is the project going we have not gotten an update in a few months

10/22/2011 8:42 am  #9

No further progress at this time. I'm still looking for a body. Can't really go any further 'til I figure out what the frame needs to be like.  Keeps asking me, though.

Thanks!
Chris

2/11/2012 7:21 pm  #10

See... I told ya I'd be back! Haha.

Here's the update on my project.

I can't find a body I want that fits my budget, so I'm going to build an elongated T-Bucket style body myself. I'll use metal, wood, & fiberglass. A lot of work, but I have help from people that have done this before. This part I know I can get to look great.

I have access to the Jag donor car that the IFS & IRS came from, so I can make a template for the frame as it was on the donor Jag. I will use the same ride height as the Jag, so I don't have to mess with changing that. I'm not using the Chevy 350 & TH350 transmission that was in the Jag, so I will have to figure out engine/tranny/driveline angles. I'll be using a Pontiac Sprint OHC straight 6 with a 200r4 transmission. The drive shaft will evn work if I go with the same length frames as the Jag.

I'll be using 2" x 4" x 3/16" wall rectangular tubing for the frame rails. Crossmembers out of whatever they need to be. I've been digging for everything I can find online to get a good view of how the Jag IRS looks installed w/o the cage, but I'm not quite getting it. Do you know where I can get scale drawings of a JAG IRS, w/o the cage, in a hot rod frame? Or maybe a good set of pictures so I can get my brain wrapped around this? 

Once I get the unit out of the cage, what all do I need to do to hold it all in place? Just a new top cross-piece and the factory foward projecting control arms that keep it from twisting? It seems that wouldn't hold it all in place well enough. Is there a better option for the forward projecting control arms then the factory units?

I'm ready to buy the steel for my frame. I have a buddy with a waterjet cutter. If I could get CAD drawings of some of the part I can have them cut. I use a CAD system for my custom sign business, so I know how that all works. He cuts sign parts for me a few times per year. No set-up fee or anything because he caan use my drawings directly with his machine.

Thanks!
Chris

Edit: I just found the The Jaguar IRS picture thread. Those are all of Jag IRS installs? That is exactly what I needed. The front control arms.. Who makes those? What parts do I need to put a set of those tegether?

Thanks again!
Chris

Last edited by chrisinestes (2/11/2012 7:27 pm)

2/14/2012 4:55 pm  #11

Curt Hamilton has been installing Jag IRS in street rods for years.  He rebuilt my differential, and narrowed my suspension.   Last time I was there he had a T bucket frame at the shop with IRS installed.  Curt's  shop is in the West Los Angeles area.  He, also, can fabricate a tubular cage for your Jag rear.  I would advise anyone needing a rebuild of their IRS, and/or help with an install, to contact Hamilton Automotive Industries, (818) 787-9695, early in your project.

For a look at a good install using a cross member, take a look at Snow White's  instructions for installing Jag IRS in Model A's.  http://www.snowwhiteltd.com/

Also, for some interesting reading about Jag IRS in street rods, check out the Australian Street Rod Manual in the old forum.

Last edited by irstang (2/14/2012 5:27 pm)

"'Cars are like primates. They need to squat to go.'—Carroll Smith"

3/15/2012 12:37 am  #12

"'Cars are like primates. They need to squat to go.'—Carroll Smith"

3/15/2012 12:33 pm  #13

They attempt to be very authoritative and have some very good information. But not all, and given the breadth and depth of the claimed expertise the analysis is surprisingly sparse.

Jim

3/15/2012 5:43 pm  #14

I think I have seen either that or a similar type page. When you build a street rod or kit car, etc... In NZ you will have to pass state inspection including your suspension. That is a copy of NZ guidelines.

If you shorten the address bar it brings you to the home page.
http://www.lvvta.org.nz/

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy (3/15/2012 5:46 pm)

Board footera