Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

1/24/2012 12:48 pm  #1

Offset pinion on Jag IRS

Hi guys I'm new here and have been having a good read of the forum.

I'm thinking of using a Jag IRS on my project but it  seems  that  they all have an offset  diff pinion  i.e. it's not in the centre of the unit but set slightly to one side. Now I understand that the diff pinion flange needs to be at the same angle as the flange on the gearbox output shaft in order to avoid the propshaft vibrating but presumably it's ok for the propshaft to run at an angle across the car from the gearbox output flange which is actually in the dead centre of the car to the offset diff pinion?

Ta

Alan

Last edited by alanalan (1/24/2012 12:50 pm)

1/24/2012 8:48 pm  #2

Re: Offset pinion on Jag IRS

Hi Alan,
Welcome to the IRS forum. Lots of good information to be had here.
Your presumption is correct. There's nothing wrong with the prop shaft running "across" the car. The u-joints don't know the difference, up, down or across, it's just another angle. As a matter of fact, I'm presently setting up my drive line angles  with my Jag IRS. My transmission output shaft and my diff pinion are almost straight in line. However, since the Jag pinion is offset by 1 1/4" from center, which is built into the differential design,  with my 19" long drive shaft, I end up with a working angle of 3 degress. Just inside the recommended range.
Ken

Last edited by 6 speed (1/25/2012 3:45 am)

1/25/2012 1:59 am  #3

Thanks Ken

That is exactly what I wanted to hear!

Cheers

Alan

Last edited by alanalan (1/25/2012 1:59 am)

1/26/2012 9:24 am  #4

On mine I offset the pinion by 5/8" to get it centered in the transmission tunnel as there isn't much room sideways. Means different length control arms but that isn't a problem.

JB

1/26/2012 9:52 am  #5

The motor in my car is offset app. 1/2" to 1" toward the right for better weight balance. The car has 12,000 miles on it. No issues! You need to keep a true parallel line between both ends. But left, right, up, down, makes no difference.
As long as your parallel you will not have vibrations.

Welcome aboard alanalan!

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy (1/26/2012 10:20 am)

Board footera