Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

1/24/2011 11:47 am  #1

spring weight

Daze since the jag irs has two coil over's on each side,what is your spring lbs,s
is cut in half ? since there is two. I'm thinking of putting two per side on my
T-bird irs, #1 the cool factor # 2 I would hope it would stop or at least minimize wheel hop.I'm also trying to find a place to buy or have made some outer
axle stubs that will fit my ford 8.8,I would much rather have U joints and a drive shaft rather then CV joints,If you have any info on these axle stubs please
post it, thank you

Vern

1/25/2011 10:30 am  #2

Re: spring weight

vernlee wrote:

Daze since the jag irs has two coil over's on each side,what is your spring lbs,s is cut in half ? since there is two. I'm thinking of putting two per side on my T-bird irs, #1 the cool factor # 2 I would hope it would stop or at least minimize wheel hop.

It is half of what the single rate is.  When I measure mine I found them to be some where in the rating of 200.  If I were you I would measure what your stock springs are to begin with.  t measure mine i used an analog bathroom scale and my shop press.  I zeroed the scale at free height and then compressed it 1" and used the weight to determine the rate.

If you do that with your set up it will give you an idea where to start, but then it also has to do with the weight of the car, and how stiff you want the ride to be.  I agree that two coil overs per side will make the car more stable.

vernlee wrote:

I'm also trying to find a place to buy or have made some outer axle stubs that will fit my ford 8.8,I would much rather have U joints and a drive shaft rather then CV joints,If you have any info on these axle stubs please post it, thank you
Vern

That I don't have.  I would start with places like curry enterprises and call them.  they probably won't be able to make what you are after but they may be able to point you in the correct direction.  Kugel Komponents is also a place to call they specialize in IRS and may be able to help you.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

Board footera